Chefelf.com Night Life: Playing around with AGS - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Playing around with AGS

#1 User is offline   Sartain Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:37 AM

Having played the works of Yathzee has tempted me to play around with AGS a bit myself. I'll probably be in for a hell of a time since I don't know the first thing about scripting and haven't done any sort of graphical work on a computer since I had an Amiga, but all the same, I'm going to try at least.
Good thing there's a tutorial, but I was wondering if anyone could direct me to other resources for the aspiring AGS author and perhaps recommend an easy-to-use, free program for creating the graphics?

#2 User is offline   ?!! Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Interests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:36 AM

You and me both, bro. You and me both.
We're whalers on the moon
We carry a harpoon
But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales
And sing a whaling tune

#3 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (Sartain @ Nov 23 2007, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good thing there's a tutorial, but I was wondering if anyone could direct me to other resources for the aspiring AGS author and perhaps recommend an easy-to-use, free program for creating the graphics?

Most of the AGS tutorials, manuals and resources you'll need are located on the AGS website or at least linked there. If you mean resources such as background and sprite art, well, you'll usually have to do them yourself, since adventure games are so versatile that you couldn't really find graphics that'd possibly suit your own game.
For making your own graphics, the obvious solution would be MSpaint. If you want to fine-tune it, you'll not get away without PhotoShop or something of that kind, although I personally don't know anyone who'd be willing to shell out such an atrocious amount of dosh for it ($800 or something like that? The hell do they think they are.).

#4 User is offline   Sofox Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

GIMP is a good, free alternative to Photoshop.
If you want something in between that's free, try Paint.NET (Window's only).

#5 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

Kindly stop comparing GIMP to Photoshop. Or saying that it is "good". Either say it's a good substitute for post-processing photos, or just shut the fuck up, because other than that, it's nothing but a fucked up graphics tool made by fucking blind people.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#6 User is offline   HMC Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

You'll probably want to use Photoshop for your backgrounds depending on what sort of aesthetic you're aiming for. When it comes to pixel art, though, I wouldn't advise using Paint. If you want to be able to do things like Undo more than a few things at a time and tweak palettes on the fly, Cosmigo ProMotion is probably the way to go.

#7 User is offline   Sartain Icon

• New Cop

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

Well, as I mentioned I haven't done any sort of graphical work since I had an Amiga back in the day (ahh, Deluxe Paint) and I never said I was actually good at it then either, so I'm not really interested in anything that costs money.
I suppose I'll go with Paint for now. I wonder if there's any "How to make graphic made with paint not suck" guides out there somewhere...

#8 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

The primary keywords for your search would be Pixelart and MSPaint then, I guess.

Pixelart Tutorials found on deviantART
And some Paint Tutorials

Sorry for being a deviantWhore here, I somewhat detest that place, but you can't deny its usefulness at times.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#9 User is offline   bobsickle Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Rugby. PS3. PC. Sleep. Eat. Drink. Die. Woah, scrap that last one!

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Nov 23 2007, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for being a deviantWhore here, I somewhat detest that place, but you can't deny its usefulness at times.

Why not? I deny the last fifteen years of my life. Just pretend it doesn't exist and, voila! It is no more.
Tiredness can kill! Have a break, have a Kit-Kat.

#10 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

I think the difference in significance is obvious here.

#11 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Nov 23 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kindly stop comparing GIMP to Photoshop. Or saying that it is "good". Either say it's a good substitute for post-processing photos, or just shut the fuck up, because other than that, it's nothing but a fucked up graphics tool made by fucking blind people.

Care to elaborate and/or suggest an alternative, Sr. Engullidor? I've had GIMP for a long time and although I've never seriously used it, but it has a bunch of tools and stuff. Not unlike this forum.

This post has been edited by Ninja Duck: 23 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

#12 User is offline   bobsickle Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Rugby. PS3. PC. Sleep. Eat. Drink. Die. Woah, scrap that last one!

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

I didn't like GIMP that much when I had Ubuntu. I never really gave it much chance though. I'm using Corel Draw Suite 11 at the moment as a friend gave it to us. It's quite good, I haven't had trouble with doing anything yet really. Don't know what it retails though, and would prefer Photoshop probably, but that's expensive, and I don't have space for tonnes of programs at the moment. Anyway, a lot of it's down to mouse control and good eye-sight. I've done a lot of pixel editing, making changes pixel by pixel and it works well, but is excruciatingly difficult. This is what I'm guessing would work best for AGS, just using larger pixels in MSPaint you can achieve something quite reasonable. Backgrounds are up to you though, but can be done with mainly straight lines and the fill tool. You'd be amazed what you can do with simple shapes.
Tiredness can kill! Have a break, have a Kit-Kat.

#13 User is offline   Sartain Icon

• New Cop

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

I have a half-furnished ritual room and the start of a character. But man, is it ugly...

#14 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Nov 23 2007, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Care to elaborate and/or suggest an alternative, Sr. Engullidor? I've had GIMP for a long time and although I've never seriously used it, but it has a bunch of tools and stuff. Not unlike this forum.

GIMP is the anti-thesis of intuitive design, and customizing said tools for efficient use is a complete pain in the neck - when possible. It also tries to "differentiate" itself from Photoshop and the likes by not adhering to common standards - simple placement of hotkeys being among them. I've yet to meet a graphics designer who didn't curse out loud during the first days of using that tool because it was messing so badly with his workflow.
Alternatives... none that are "free" and haven't already been mentioned yet. You'll just have to deal with it - either stay with GIMP and produce mediocre stuff that makes you wish you had gnawed off your hands before buying a computer, or spend some money and get serious about work.

Or be a bloody pirate and do what everyone does anyway.

#15 User is offline   Sartain Icon

• New Cop

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:15 PM

My NPC is a giant... Proper scaling of items and characters is somewhat difficult. Am I missing something obvious, or is it simply trial and error?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size