• (3 Pages)
  • +

The Witcher New RPG Game

#31 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

I just ordered The Last Wish from the local book store. Should be in in a few weeks. I was surprised the clerk knew what it was. I couldn't remember the authors name, but when I gave her the title she automatically said that it was the one they recently made a game about. I guess I'm not the first to have asked about it.

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 01 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#32 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

See Yahtzee's review at http://www.escapistm...ion-The-Witcher
He seemed to have the same problem, ie. playing Witcher is not really fun.

#33 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

I thought your opinions were rather odd, as you were the only person I'd met who thought that. Oh well, now it's you and him. Still odd.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#34 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:39 AM

I hope you'll like the books, Sime. There are two or three volues of sort stories nad five-volume novels. The game is supposed to be started five years after the novel ends. Some of the characters are to be found only in the novels, like Shani, but I belive Zoltan Chivay is in the novels, and of course Dandelion who is like Geralt's alter ego and is in most of the short stories.

I'll go and read Yatzee's review now

#35 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:56 AM

Make no mistake about it, I liked the world's atmosphere, even though the game didn't make a deep impression, so I'm curious about the novels. I'll see if I can track down any of them here.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 27 January 2008 - 06:57 AM

#36 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Jan 27 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope you'll like the books, Sime. There are two or three volues of sort stories nad five-volume novels. The game is supposed to be started five years after the novel ends. Some of the characters are to be found only in the novels, like Shani, but I belive Zoltan Chivay is in the novels, and of course Dandelion who is like Geralt's alter ego and is in most of the short stories.

I'll go and read Yatzee's review now

I quite liked The Last Wish. I was mostly dissapointed at how short it was. I gather they're translating the other books, but it's going to be awhile until we see any of them. The moral ambiguity was very well done, and Dandelion seems even more a fool in these stories then he did the game. The only problem with the collection of disjointed short stories is that it doesn't do much to develop the setting, which was one of the strengths of the game. I'm guessing that's going to come up more in the novels.

#37 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Mar 1 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I quite liked The Last Wish. I was mostly dissapointed at how short it was. I gather they're translating the other books, but it's going to be awhile until we see any of them. The moral ambiguity was very well done, and Dandelion seems even more a fool in these stories then he did the game. The only problem with the collection of disjointed short stories is that it doesn't do much to develop the setting, which was one of the strengths of the game. I'm guessing that's going to come up more in the novels.

I am glad you liked it, Sime. But the fact is, it is the short stories which develop the character, really, only they were neither published not written chronologically by the author.
So, chronologically:
"The way of no return" talls the story about Geral't parents
"The Witcher" deals with the first meeting with Striga
"The voice of reason" set directly after "The Witcher" - Geralts tells bits and pieces of his history in Kaer Mohren
"A grain of truth" - explains who "bruxas" are
"The lesser of evils"
The last wish - Geralt meeting Yennefer
"The end of the world"
"The questions of price" - is the set-up and basis for the novels
"The limit of capabilities" tells the story of Geralt meeting the gold dragon, follow up of Yennefer story
"A sliver of ice" - another follow up of Yennefer story, - zeughuls feature in this story
"Eternal fire" -
"A bit of sacrifise" - intorducing vodyanoi monsters
"The Sword of Destiny" - intorducing Drayds
"Something more" - a story directly preceding the noves.

Sorry for my awkaward translation, it is too late for me to think up something original or look up in the net for official translations

#38 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

That's all right. I'm working off the assumption that some of those are in the second short story book, as I don't recognise them. That being said, I lent my copy to a friend so I don't have it on hand to compare.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size