• (3 Pages)
  • +

The Witcher New RPG Game

#16 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:27 AM

I just carry around whatever looks cool, really. I only ever use the main two swords.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#17 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

For your info, during Christmas/New Year break I finished the game. I liked it, the quests, dialogies and locationd and all, but the hero development sucks. I can only get ONE nice leather jacke tand I did not even bother to acquire the armour...On easy difficulty level all it took to oblitarate a whole roomful of creatures was a couple of Igni signs... I did not even bother to reach for my sword at times... Gosh it really sucked. I wasted so many talents to develop "fast" silver and steel skills and what not for absolutely nothing. All you needed to do is to improve your energy and develop Igni sign... and some silver skill, in case you encoutered effrits.

And potions well... in the end also I did not bother to produce more than the basic three..., Swallow, the one which improved the energy (don't know the English translation, it was Owl in Polish) and Withe Mead... Why bother with so many potions when you can only drink three at most? OK, Cat also was useful in some locations, but hell, what is gamma correction for?

Anyway, I am replaying it now to check other dialogue options, to chek if the gam is really non-linear as they claim. And the video at the end was really worth watchig, BTW

#18 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:50 AM

Agreed. I finished it on Monday, and thought the ending was worth it. This is definately one of my favourite games. I played through choosing Shani and the Order, but I'll try a Triss Scoietal playthrough later. I need a bit of a rest from it at the moment though.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#19 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

Funny, those were my choices too smile.gif... I thought Triss was a bit of double-crosser, but I am going to play her next time.

#20 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

Exactly. I felt that she was using me for her own ends, and as I haven't read the books to get much of a background on the sorceress', I didn't trust her. Plus, I thought she was annoyingly overbearing and found Shani to be much more agreeable.

#21 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

You are right, from the books it could be guessed that none of the sorceress are to be trusted too much, since they all belong to the "fraternity" and put the good of their own "clique" above all else. ans Shani was very positive character, simple and unaffected girl.

BTW, what is the name of the bard, Geralt's fried, in English version? In Polish his name literally means the yellow flower "buttercup" and I am quite curious what did they do with this quite tricky translation.

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:18 AM

They went with "Dandelion", a similar type of flower.

#23 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Does that sound ok to you? I though maybe they chose Bluebell, to go with the flowe theme and connection to sound, but I have a feeling both those names sound a bit off in English...

#24 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Blue bell would have sounded too much like blue balls. I'm no native English speaker, but I think Dandelion was a good choice, it's just... gay enough to be a minstrel's name, but not TOO gay. :/

Deleted the game, by the way. I've grown tired of the loading screens. And the faffing about in the swamp. It's just... boring. I think I'll get back to good ol' Gothic 2.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 15 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

#25 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jan 16 2008, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Dandelion was a good choice, it's just... gay enough to be a minstrel's name, but not TOO gay....

Deleted the game, by the way. I've grown tired of the loading screens. And the faffing about in the swamp. It's just... boring. I think I'll get back to good ol' Gothic 2.

I agree with the name. It's rather flamboyant, but he is a minstrel. As for deleting it, your loss I guess. I've never played any of the Gothic games, but I picked up a copy of the third one for $20. I'll get around to playing it soon enough.

#26 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:57 AM

Well, I don't know about the third one, we tried playing it on my friend's new supercomputer and there were still instances when the framerate went down to about 5 fps. But the second one rocks, that is, if you have the determination to pass through the first part of the game where everything can kill you with ease.

To be on-topic, the combat is almost as quirky in that game as in The Witcher.

#27 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

I have both the first and the second Gothic, I think (I may have deleted them), and I got completely lost in the first one to the point of being just plain bored from not knowing where to go or what to do after wandering around aimlessly and saving frequently to avoid the monsters that will devour you whole faster than you can blink if you get too close that hang out relatively close to where you start.

Maybe I'll get around to the Witcher at some point soon.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#28 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

Gothic 3 is waiting on my shelf as well, together with Jade Empite, I hope to get round to playing it some time. David, really apart from loading and saving time, the game is absolutely worth playing so I agree with Sime that deleting Witcher is your loss. Swap is not half bad. Once you get past it, you meet some cool action afterwards.

BTW Sime, did you manage to turn the Striga into princess or is it totally impossible? I tried not to kill it and spend the night meditating in the dungeons, seemed to have no effect whatsoever, so I get tired and killed her.. But maybe there is a way to lift the spell.

Also, At the very beginning of the game I followed Vesemir to kill the monster, not Triss to the laboratory.. Seems to have rather interesting effect quite early in the game, I recommend to try it.

#29 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

My PC isn't good enough to handle this game, looked pretty sweet. Tis a shame.

#30 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Jan 17 2008, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW Sime, did you manage to turn the Striga into princess or is it totally impossible? I tried not to kill it and spend the night meditating in the dungeons, seemed to have no effect whatsoever, so I get tired and killed her.. But maybe there is a way to lift the spell.

The Striga thing is a pain, as it's not explained too well. When they say spend the night near her sarcophagus, they don't mean just in the crypt, but in that actual room with the thing. You have to wait until about midnight, then walk into her room. She'll attack you. I recommend downing a tawny owl and using aard to keep her off her feet. As you run around the room, the candles on the sarcophagus start going out. When the last one goes out, she reverts to human form. If you leave the room, the candles all relight. One good thing is, whilst you're in the room time goes faster, so you don't have to wait the full 30 minutes from 12:00 to 6:00.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size