Chefelf.com Night Life: Yahtzee update 11/07/07: Phantom Hourglass - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Yahtzee update 11/07/07: Phantom Hourglass

#16 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:07 AM

Ah...people don't think Yahtzee is a real reviewer...

Though, to be fair, he's not really...I mean, I think he said something I disagreed with once.

#17 User is offline   z e w b Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

Well, the reason is that "real" reviewers work for huge, e-business websites like IGN and Gametrailers, and they are not supposed to give honest criticism because that turns away fanboys and means less $$$ for the site. Luckily for us, Yahtzee works for a nice, friendly website, and he doesn't give a shit what people think.

#18 User is offline   Near Icon

• New Cop

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

I felt the review was pretty half-assed, to be honest.
Maybe it's because he hasn't finished the game? Eh.

Seriously, you want them to constantly create NEW first party franchises to replace the old ones?
Zelda/Metroid/Mario keep producing great games and sell millions.

Why would they replace them with NEW franchises?
And then replace those new franchises with NEW franchises the next generation, etc?

Yahtzee must not have played Wind Waker, because the sailing in Phantom Hourglass is NOTHING compared to Wind Waker's.
They've made it a LOT less tedious.

The only problem I have with Yahtzee's reviews is that he's hateful for the sake of being hateful,
and with Phantom Hourglass, for example, it results in him giving crappy points.

Now go, Yahtzee, go flame Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, etc for continuing their successful franchises!
How dare they keep a franchise for more than one generation!

#19 User is offline   Near Icon

• New Cop

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Nov 8 2007, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. I once played the first Zelda with a Nintendo emulator, then another with a Snes emulator, reached the same conclusion, and dropped the fucking thing like a hot coal. Little personless sword&shield-wielding green faggot waltzing around in a world of tiles saving the princess is not really a plot that would be able to keep my interest for more than 2 minutes. And they made like 20 games with exactly the same storyline. Beautiful. Also, the find-this-key-to-this-door-behind-which-another-key-lies is not an overly intriguing puzzle system, either.

Yeah, because Zelda's all about the plot, mirite?

So you basically can't play a game without an interesting plot?
Not to mention you're asking for a freakload of stuff from a SNES game.
How about you go play Ocarina or something? You'll get your plot there.

So your complaint about the Zelda series is the lack of plot.
Great. Now go hate on the little personless overall wearing red faggot jumping on platforms saving a princess, because that one lacks a plot too.

Seriously, how stupid can you get?

This post has been edited by Near: 10 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

#20 User is offline   Professor Saucy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

About as stupid as you, I'd wager!

Also, if I've ever disagreed with Yahtzee about something, it's that the best game ever is totally MISCHIEF MAKERS and not Fantasy World Dizzy.

Also, he seems to have a beef with Thief: The Dark Project, which in almost every aspect I consider to be fucking brilliant.

This post has been edited by Professor Saucy: 10 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

IPB Image

#21 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Near @ Nov 11 2007, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, you want them to constantly create NEW first party franchises to replace the old ones?
Zelda/Metroid/Mario keep producing great games and sell millions.

Why would they replace them with NEW franchises?
And then replace those new franchises with NEW franchises the next generation, etc?

Now go, Yahtzee, go flame Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, etc for continuing their successful franchises!
How dare they keep a franchise for more than one generation!

Um, you may have missed the point here. He is reviewing the game from a gamer's point of view. If he was reviewing it from a marketing point of view, I'm sure he'd have been complaining about all the ways the game deviated from what currently sells. That sort of review, however, wouldn't be of great value to anyone thinking of getting it. When you average gamer is thinking of buying a game , will they be more likely to ask themselves "Does this game follow to the formula of other, popular games, thus ensuring a good return on the investmnet made by the company making it?" or "Is this game going to have any new and interesting features, as well as good gameplay, a story, and a lack of annoying tedious bits?"?

#22 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:40 AM

So you basically can't play a game without an interesting plot?

I can, but I prefer to avoid it if possible, especially it pretends having RPG elements. Games with RPG elements in them shouldn't get away without a plot, and if they make it to a series of like 15 games, it gets even more infuriating. They're basically the remakes of each other.
How about you go play Ocarina or something? You'll get your plot there.

I don't give a flying shit about Ocarina.
So your complaint about the Zelda series is the lack of plot.
Great. Now go hate on the little personless overall wearing red faggot jumping on platforms saving a princess, because that one lacks a plot too.

We were discussing Zelda, not Mario, but agreed, I don't like those games, either.
Seriously, how stupid can you get?

Not Nearly as stupid as you. Now bugger off, grown-ups are talking.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 11 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

#23 User is offline   Spann Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:53 AM

Ah, another new forumite welcomed into the fold...

In all seriousness though, he does seem to have missed the point. I mean, does anybody watch ZP and expect a fair, unbiased review?

I know I don't.
"There comes a time in every person's life when they should learn to shut up. It is called 'birth'."

-The League Against Tedium

#24 User is offline   Professor Saucy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:42 AM

I watch ZP because Yahtzee knows what kind of stuff sucks.

Also, David, you best play Ocarina before I come to your house and rape you.

After which, incedentally, I will force you to play Ocarina.
IPB Image

#25 User is offline   Swasa Icon

• New Cop

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:56 PM

First time poster, long time reader ex-seta-ra eggs-seta-rah

With Zelda, the reason I, among other players play the game for the clever gameplay additions and the new puzzles presented. The bosses in particular always get better and better, and I think Zelda games usually present new ways of using a piece of hardware.

QUOTE (Professor Saucy @ Nov 10 2007, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, if I've ever disagreed with Yahtzee about something, it's that the best game ever is totally MISCHIEF MAKERS and not Fantasy World Dizzy.

Also, you seem to be forgetting Toe Jam and Earl.

This post has been edited by Swasa: 11 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

#26 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Swasa @ Nov 11 2007, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, you seem to be forgetting Toe Jam and Earl.

Damn, that was the game that was always hexed for me. The floppy was fucked up on the amiga, cartridge was fucked up on the game gear, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get it to work with DosBox, VDMSound or whatever on PC.

EDIT: A bit off-topic, but I gave up on my principles and started working on a game for an inside competition of a Hungarian forum, namely Hardest Non-RPG Game created with the RPG Maker 2000 engine. Although it's not a necessary feat for entry, I tried to come up with a solid plot for my game, which will basically be a Prince of Persia/Waxworks/Litil Divil/etc.-inspired adventurey puzzle-deathtrap navigation game in a pyramid. Hopefully it will be difficult, but not frustrating (no dead man walking sequences a lá Waxworks). I'm writing it in English, though, so that if it's completed, and I'm satisfied, I'll unleash this unholy abomination on you guys as well. Be prepared, and root for me.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 11 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

#27 User is offline   Swasa Icon

• New Cop

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Nov 11 2007, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, that was the game that was always hexed for me. The floppy was fucked up on the amiga, cartridge was fucked up on the game gear, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get it to work with DosBox, VDMSound or whatever on PC.

Thats a review and a half

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Nov 11 2007, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: A bit off-topic, but I gave up on my principles and started working on a game for an inside competition of a Hungarian forum, namely Hardest Non-RPG Game created with the RPG Maker 2000 engine. Although it's not a necessary feat for entry, I tried to come up with a solid plot for my game, which will basically be a Prince of Persia/Waxworks/Litil Divil/etc.-inspired adventurey puzzle-deathtrap navigation game in a pyramid. Hopefully it will be difficult, but not frustrating (no dead man walking sequences a lá Waxworks). I'm writing it in English, though, so that if it's completed, and I'm satisfied, I'll unleash this unholy abomination on you guys as well. Be prepared, and root for me.

Sounds interesting. If you need help in terms of music, I have done it before and would be willing to give it a bash.

This post has been edited by Swasa: 11 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

#28 User is offline   Sniffles Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

The greatest game ever made is Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace for Playstation. If you disagree you are probably an escaped mental patient, and shouldn't be playing videogames in the first place.

#29 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (Spann @ Nov 11 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In all seriousness though, he does seem to have missed the point. I mean, does anybody watch ZP and expect a fair, unbiased review?

Just because someone is criticising somehting, doesn't mean they aren't being fair.

#30 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Nov 11 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We were discussing Zelda, not Mario, but agreed, I don't like those games, either.

Hey, I take mild offense to that. I enjoyed most classic Mario games, except the second one. The new ones I don't play because I don't need to.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size