Page 1 of 1

BATTLETOADS

#1 User is offline   Professor Saucy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

This game is IMPOSSIBLE :<

I'm playing Battlemaniacs now, because out of all the console versions it's by far my favorite. The NES original is awesome, too, but I fucked it up by switching a bunch of cheats on and now it just restarts me whenever I finish the first level. And then when I do get it to put me in Wookie Hole, there's a glitch where the enemies become transparent and can't be killed, and I have no way of dying, so I have to start ALL OVER and asdkjgfajga;jg.

ANYWAY. By the time I got to the Turbo Tunnel in Battlemaniacs, I realized it was basically the same as the NES version where it stops being a beat-em-up and becomes a series of insane obstacle courses where you need to memorize everything and have ridiculously good reflexes to pass, which put me down because the first two levels are awesome and gave me hope that it'd be more like the Arcade version, which I did beat with a friend one time. We spent 15 dollars!

I got past the Turbo Tunnel after much cheating, and then with slightly less cheating beat the snake pit which is doable normally until the end where you have to jump your guy through an opening that's the exact same size as him and if you make one tiny miscalculation you die INSTANTLY and have to start all over again :<

Now I'm on some rollercoaster type thing that's basically Clinger Winger from the first one (see pic) where I have to press in the direction of the track to outrun the crazy buzz-saw rat. Which seems reasonable, but the thing goes at the speed of fucking light and the track changes direction every 3 feet so I keep getting cut in half by the motherfucker.

Battletoads has no fucking mercy. I will beat it. :<

This post has been edited by Professor Saucy: 06 November 2007 - 03:18 AM

IPB Image

#2 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, that game is absurdly hard. They definitely needed less ridiculously difficult obstacle courses and more turning your foot into a giant mace to hit a giant stick-creature, after which you can take its leg to beat flying pig-men down.

This post has been edited by Slade: 06 November 2007 - 07:20 AM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#3 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:32 AM

Ah the days of "Nintendo Hard".

#4 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:00 PM

I vaguely remember this game being quite difficult, and enjoying Battletoads and Double Dragon much more.
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#5 User is offline   Professor Saucy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:21 AM

Battletoads and Double Dragon is hard in a different way, and absolutely unplayable unless you have a buddy with you or do nothing but play that game every fucking day until you have JEDI REFLEXES.
IPB Image

#6 User is offline   Spann Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:19 AM

Another ridiculously hard bastard of a game featuring semi aquatic animals:

Jesus fucking christ, that game made me want to kill. Only ever got past the above level once, and I'm reasonably sure that was just because the cartridge got fed up of just being used for the same few levels over and over, then being thrown at a wall.

NES games were properly hard. Sometimes because you were just expected to have ninja skills at whatever game you played from the moment it loaded, others because the instruction manuals and in game text were such mangled renditions of English they were completely unreadable. In fact some of them were so nonsensical they were adopted as memes by 4chan (see below)

"There comes a time in every person's life when they should learn to shut up. It is called 'birth'."

-The League Against Tedium

#7 User is offline   Professor Saucy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:55 AM

The NES version of Battletoads would be playable without cheating if the thing didn't glitch out every five minutes and make it impossible for me to finish a level because the enemies become ETHERIAL and un-punchable.

Or if the exit holes in Snake Pit didn't do the same thing.

This post has been edited by Professor Saucy: 09 November 2007 - 02:56 AM

IPB Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size