• Last »

Yahtzee rhymes with Nazi!

#31 User is offline   Sniffles Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (lavaj @ Nov 1 2007, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Geez do people where you live really think that? I guess Wisconsin must be a pretty different place.

Yes, actually, a lot of Americans believe we won the Vietnam war and that the War on Terror is going great and is completely justified.

People, stop taking what I wrote seriously.

#32 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (lavaj @ Nov 1 2007, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish Yatzee wouldn't associate U.S. citizens with the U.S. government. Most of us would agree with him about whatever he has to say about it. Just because our president is a retarded cowboy doesn't mean all americans are.

Well, yes, but one of the annoying things about democracy is that it's sort of your fault who is in charge of your nation. Though, I suppose you could argue that it isn't, becuase lots of people can't be arsed voting, but that's somewhat iffy logic.

#33 User is offline   Sofox Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:36 AM

Apologies, I did mean 23 million, not 23. And they included civilian and military.
Oh, and I'm not slating Russia here, I respect the huge amount they did in the war. I'm saying that a lot of people don't seem to realise that Russia made the biggest sacrifices in the war. With so many memorials and documentaries about the loss of life on the Europeans and Americans, it just seems sad that the immense losses of Russia aren't something most people know about.

#34 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:12 AM

Aye, but who's going to care about a country that's economically decrepit, and seen as being 20 years behind everybody else? The media push the US agenda, so for the vast majority, that's taken as the truth.

And I'm also Irish! biggrin.gif From one to another, sir!
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#35 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (Sofox @ Nov 2 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apologies, I did mean 23 million, not 23. And they included civilian and military.
Oh, and I'm not slating Russia here, I respect the huge amount they did in the war. I'm saying that a lot of people don't seem to realise that Russia made the biggest sacrifices in the war. With so many memorials and documentaries about the loss of life on the Europeans and Americans, it just seems sad that the immense losses of Russia aren't something most people know about.

Yes, but they were communists. One of the reasons people weren't worried about Hitler so much was because he was anti-communist. Terrible persecution of the Jewish people is ok as long as you oppose a change in economic structure.

#36 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ Nov 2 2007, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Terrible persecution of the Jewish people is ok as long as you oppose a change in economic structure.

I was tempted to destroy the sophistication of this forum by saying 'lol' when I read this. But I won't bring you down to my level.
As true as it is about the Americans getting all the glory and all that, I have learnt very little about them. In Australia I have learnt mostly about the European side of the conflict with the invasion of france and not so much key points, but just general things. That and everything the Australians did.

But I was surprised to hear about the Russians. It's so true that they get ignored greatly when it comes to WW2.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#37 User is offline   bobsickle Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Rugby. PS3. PC. Sleep. Eat. Drink. Die. Woah, scrap that last one!

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

OK, apologies Sniffles, it was hard to see what you were trying to do, but I get it now. And I'm sorry Sofox, but saying 23 made it sound like you were being sarcastic about the Russians, good to see we're in the same sort of mind-set. happy.gif Right, positive thinking here now! It's all good! lol* And for the sake of hypothetical argument, what would you consider worse: the Nazis/SS/Hitler?etc. or the KKK? Imagining either that the KKK is the same size/power as the Nazis were or that the Nazis were the same size/power as the KKK are now. I'd say Nazis purely because I don't believe that the KKK would promote sex of any sort, never mind force suitable women/girls to do it! That and the whole experimenting on children - especially twins - thing.

*I never say "lol" but said it now, out of spite! wink.gif Just kidding, but seriously, "lol" and other such abbreviations annoy the hell out of me!!!

This post has been edited by bobsickle: 03 November 2007 - 08:09 PM

Tiredness can kill! Have a break, have a Kit-Kat.

#38 User is offline   Professor Saucy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:47 AM

I gotta level with you, guys, people who refuse to say things like "lol" and rant about how stupid chat speak is in order to look intellectual are some of the biggest idiots on the internet.

Just saying!

Oh, also, this forum is about as far from sophisticated as 4chan is from worksafe. So I don't think you need to worry about destroying the SACRED INTEGRETY of this place until you bring a bunch of smart and interesting people from another site to post here.

This post has been edited by Professor Saucy: 04 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

IPB Image

#39 User is offline   tanaka Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:29 AM

Hi, I'm an American who was inspired to join these forums because of this topic biggrin.gif

I don't see what the big deal is. So Yahtzee made a few jokes about America? It's the popular thing to do nowadays.

What really disappoints me is that nothing that Yahtzee said about us was original. I've come to expect a certain amount of cleverness and creativity with Yahtzee's rants, and I knew the moment I saw he was reviewing a MoH game that he'd be getting some shots in on America. I've read most of his articles, and his America-bashing has always been a breath of fresh air from the generic "Americans are fat, lazy, warmongering ****tards." Our own comedians use all those jokes, the whole world has been using those jokes for decades, they're just not funny anymore.

But then, lo and behold, nothing but fat, lazy, warmongering ****tard jokes sad.gif I know it sounds silly, but I was really hoping that Yahtzee would burn us good.

#40 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:43 AM

But he wasn't ahving a go at America as such, he was reviewing the game. It's not his fault that the game was made by and/or marketed to the stereotypicla fat, lazy, war-mongering Americans.

#41 User is offline   rougeknife Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:40 AM

Its part of many nationalities culture to bash the US.
What makes it funny is that its true.

The people of the US do it because they can make a joke of themselves... not sure if that is a good thing or not, but what the hell. why not? People always make fun of their governments, if you like your government and are completely satisfied, look behind you for a morphine drip.

My county does it partially for every war our 'allies' go into and we send men to die.
WWI = waste, apart from establishing the ANZAC story... how propaganda can turn a complete military defeat, nay, failure, into something 'victorious.'
WWII = Slightly more of a problem. We had a guy hell bent on taking over the world WHO COULD DO IT and another nation with the same notion knocking on our doorsteps. With bombers...
Every Other war = Complete wank to toss off our allies.

Why does YOUR country do it?

#42 User is offline   Sniffles Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Professor Saucy @ Nov 4 2007, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I gotta level with you, guys, people who refuse to say things like "lol" and rant about how stupid chat speak is in order to look intellectual are some of the biggest idiots on the internet.

Just saying!
Oh, also, this forum is about as far from sophisticated as 4chan is from worksafe. So I don't think you need to worry about destroying the SACRED INTEGRETY of this place until you bring a bunch of smart and interesting people from another site to post here.

Wrong. I think chat speak is so looked-down-upon because it gives people the idea you didn't put any time into writing your message, especially on a forum, where you're not exactly pressed for time in writing a reply. A well-worded, correctly-spelled response always has more impact and credibility than "lol u tk him 2 da bar|?" Sure, a single 'lol' is okay here and there, but Bobsickle is smart for trying to not make a habit out of it.

tl;dr lol use propr gramer, f4gz.

#43 User is offline   tanaka Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ Nov 4 2007, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But he wasn't ahving a go at America as such, he was reviewing the game. It's not his fault that the game was made by and/or marketed to the stereotypicla fat, lazy, war-mongering Americans.

No, I understand that. He put in just enough to give you a laugh and then moved on, and I think he put in just the right amount to be funny without becoming annoying.

But honestly, who here who's familiar with Yahtzee's opinions of America didn't get a little grin on their face when they saw that he was reviewing an American WWII game? I was just hoping for something original, is all.

As for why America seems so obsessed with WWII, here's my theory. It's the one time in our history that our entire population was entirely behind something. All the efforts and sacrifices made by the American civilians, coming out of a depression, it was a unifying experience. And we haven't had that sort of unity and single-mindedness since then, so we try to remember the "good ol' days" by using WWII as a backdrop for so many of our movies and games.

That's just my take on it.

#44 User is offline   bobsickle Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Rugby. PS3. PC. Sleep. Eat. Drink. Die. Woah, scrap that last one!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

While I agree that you may have found a possible reason, I think it's probably just because it's the only war America have won outright. So, you beat the British and got independence, who hasn't (apart from Canada, Australia, etc.)? But you killed most of the natives too, so America's whole populous (am I making up words to sound intelligent?) or near enough, is from other countries! Mainly Britain, because they were the first people to go to America, and stick around! Chuck some Scots over, they fought at Culloden an' a' that. (Blank faces all round...)
As for text speak, yes, it's just plain lazy, and also (a) ridiculous and (cool.gif often confusing! A prime example that covers both is "ZOMG" which I had to ask about, and you'll never guess the definition I got back: one said, "it's an extra special OMG" while another said, although still agreeing with the first statement, "it's an OMG with a Z on the front." My reaction was pretty much "WTF" only I just wrote "What the fuck!?" Also people who add letters in by accident annoys me, although the keyboard does for the same reason! I generally have to go back and edit posts, but I try and be careful not to let them through. Also "Caps Lock", it's too close to the "A"! And Windows pisses me off too. Come to think of it, most things annoy the hell out of me. Consider the topic "de-railed." Well, probably not... I desperately need a social life...
Tiredness can kill! Have a break, have a Kit-Kat.

#45 User is offline   El_Gostro Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:28 PM

The funniest thing is that if you take out the game's name and apply it to virtually almost any american popular media presentation it will never lose it's context!

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size