• (5 Pages)
  • +

General Grievous A New Star Wars Character in Episode III

#31 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Apr 29 2004, 03:43 AM)
It doesn't seem like he's even watched the original trilogy for quite a while.

Actually, I'm starting to develp a new theory. George is still a putz, but it makes a little more sense to me why things are becoming so disjointed.

Part of it does have to do with not really being familiar with his original work - although I'm sure he has probably watched them, I'm not so sure that he is really watching the story.

The other aspect has to do with all these treatments and story ideas and his "style" of filming ang then looking at what's missing and then adding it in. I think that he is so confused with all the different ideas that he has developed for where these films and stories could go that he no longer really knows the story. He begins putting in some aspects, but then leaves other areas out simply because he has forgotten the original premise. He then needs to complete this new aspect without rechecking the original concept.

I have a script concept that I've been working on with a friend and we have this shared document where we have a loose script and we update it with scenes and ideas as we get them. While this is good on one level, it has now made it very difficult to keep our original story concept straight in our own minds. As such, we are now having issues keeping the basic story structure together. I think Lucas has suffered this on a grand scale. I mean he has documents all over the place going back 30 years.

Well, as I said, it's a theory in progress. biggrin.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#32 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2004 - 05:06 AM

That sounds like a good theory to me. I'm writing a novel at the moment (very much in the unrelated to Star Wars category) and I know the pains of trying to keep track of lots of loose ideas.

But I constantly re-read what I have already written to make sure it is consistent - and Supes, I'm sure that you and your friend do the same. In fact, I think most writers out there do this... but not George.

No, I have to say your theory is quite solid, Supes.

#33 User is offline   Esco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:I love playing baseball, fishing, spending work day ripping on the SW prequels, hanging out with my wife, going to church, working out, writing music, producing music, watching movies, going for long walks (with wife), hanging out with friends.

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:56 AM

returning to the original topic of Grievous, I think the character is retarded and
just more of Lucas' digital effects masturbation. He has no place in the current plot, and will probably just be introduced as the precursor to Vader.
I think thats the lamest crap I've ever heard.
And he is just adding more inconsistancies to the already paper thin plot. I thought
Vader helped the Empire wipe out all the Jedi? According to George: well not technically.
IMO, Darth Maul should still be around, causing havoc and would finally being knocked off by Anakin in episode III, taking over as the second sith.
That would also give us more time to build on characterization and plot, something
these movies sorely lack.
George sucks

This post has been edited by Esco: 29 April 2004 - 07:57 AM

#34 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

According to the original trilogy, Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. This is true. But helping doesn't necessarily mean he killed all of them. Obi Wan was only mentioning Darth Vader because he was about to tell Luke that Vader killed his father.

Having said that, I still think General Grievous is another really stupid idea to further weaken the prequels... but hey, after screwing up Episode I and II, George may as well go all the way.

If I saw something like General Grievous in that good old cartoon Robo-Tech, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Star Wars, however is not Robo-Tech.

#35 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 23 December 2004 - 05:24 AM

I wonder why noone mentioned this in the OT. I mean you'd think a huge assed quadra lightsaber wielding robot would gain some mention. Oh... What have I done... I suppose I'll be seeing this in the next DVD release...

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#36 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:33 AM

George didn't mention him in the OT because he's an idiot. The prequels are not a trilogy of movies to explain the backstory behind the OT, they're just there to make money out of brain-dead zombies and diehard fans that just won't let go.

I'm one of those diehard fans that will go to watch Episode III, but not becasue I want to, but because I feel an obligation to as an old time Star Wars fan. Although I'm going to give up that 'habit' of mine once the movie series is offically over after Episode III. What's more is, I won't be buying anymore games or books or comics (not like I ever did, anyway). For me, Star Wars will end with Episode III.

#37 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:57 AM

General Grievous is sweet. He looks so swesome and I cant wait to see him in action. Wait til you guys actually see the movie before you say he sucks. I heard he is really sinister and during the movie obi is sent on a mission to hunt him down.

This post has been edited by use the force: 23 December 2004 - 09:58 AM

#38 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

What can he do to make himself seem really sinister in a tiny amount of screen time? There's noone he can kill in the PT that I have any respect for at all. And just looking cool and wielding four lightsabers does not a good character make. What is it with Lucas and employing multiple lightsabers anyhow? In the first movie there was a guy with two and everyone thought it was cool. After that Dooku had a curved lightsaber (for some reason) and Anakin dual wielded them. Now we get a guy with four lightsabers. Ok, what are your predictions for the next trilogy? A guy with lightsabers for arms and leges and a large lightsaber coming out his ass? This is just petty gimickry. This reminds me of one of Laura's Lizzy McGuire articles where she said that the whole message of the show was "Look at Lizzy! Isn't she pretty? Dosn't she have nice things? Dosn't she?"

Well, yes. Maul had a nice light saber and I suppose in some way a four sided lightsaber (while being completely impossible to wield in any way) would be cool to see. But that dosnt give the character any bloody substance. Darth Vader used ONE. One lightsaber and he was ten times the villain Maul or Grievous or Dooku are.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 23 December 2004 - 10:27 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#39 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:26 AM

Thank you, J m. I simply cannot take a character like Grievous remotely seriously when he looks like he belong in a Japanese anime movie, rather than Star Wars. And on top of that, he's bound to be yet another 'disposable' villain who looks cool but has no motivation, practically no dialogue and no real purpose except to be killed off by the heroes. We already have two villains, and Dooku is potentially a far more interesting character - instead of killing him off early in the movie and replacing him with a totally unnecessary new villain, why not have a stab at explaining his motives for leaving the Jedi and going Dark Side? Come to that, why not give us some idea of the Palpatines's motivations, which haven't even been hinted at so far?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#40 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Dec 23 2004, 11:26 AM)
And on top of that, he's bound to be yet another 'disposable' villain who looks cool but has no motivation, practically no dialogue and no real purpose except to be killed off by the heroes.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Helena @ Dec 23 2004, 11:26 AM)
why not have a stab at explaining his (ed- Dooku's) motives for leaving the Jedi and going Dark Side?

Come to that, why not give us some idea of the Palpatines's motivations, which haven't even been hinted at so far?

why that sounds like a Need for TWO General Grievousess rolleyes.gif

#41 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:18 PM

Madam- Palpatines motivations are to get revenge.

For something.

Possibly involving the Sith.

I'm a bit sketchy on it myself.

And, as we've clearly established, Dooku is motivated by ideals.

Maul is motivated by makeup and Grievous' motivation will be how cool he looks until he cuts off all his own limbs with that ridiculous lightsaber.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 23 December 2004 - 12:21 PM

#42 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Dec 23 2004, 06:18 PM)
And, as we've clearly established, Dooku is motivated by ideals.

This is true. We have no idea of what these ideals are, of course, but we know that he has them. rolleyes.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#43 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:22 PM

As I recall Movie Goer mentioned this in one of his films.

Movie Goer: Why did you do this?

J M Hoffman: I don't know, ideals I guess.

Movie Goer: What ideals might those be?

J M Hoffman: I don't know, just ideals...

Movie Goer: I think you've had too much to drink my friend.

#44 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:24 PM

i just can't wait to see the clone war...

genral grevious, genral kenobi, the clone war, obi wan hunting down grevious, a slow and well played out fall of anikan, the last fight, doku and anikans pre-enacment of the luke/vader fight, windou getting maced, yoda saving face, a wookie battle, an in atmosphere ship battle,...

how long is this friggen movie goin to have to be?

This post has been edited by barend: 23 December 2004 - 08:32 PM

#45 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:50 PM

I believe it was Charlie Sheen's character in Apocalypse Now who said:

"You blow a guy apart with plot holes and then you give him a bandaid."

Episode three will be that bandaid.

It's going to have to be one of those really big ones...

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size