Chefelf.com Night Life: U.S Presidential Race: Who are you backing and why? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

U.S Presidential Race: Who are you backing and why?

#16 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Sep 24 2007, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be so quality if a guy like nader got in. It would pull the rug on dems and reps so hard that the new cool thing would be smaller independent parties, they'd all start joining them in a last ditch effort to be hip to the scene.

Jor, that's what happened in Minnesota with Jesse Ventura. unsure.gif

As for Clinton, she stood by her adultering, carb-bloated man, and look at her now: reviled by a quarter of the nation and a newly-outed lesbian! tongue.gif

(At least, allegedly. wink.gif)
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#17 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

From a post from Slade that got moved to the new Libertarianism thread:
Anyway, as far as the debate at hand goes, who is supporting who and why? Is there any way to get of this big international mess? Can we repair the horrible damage that has been done to everyone but the wealthy corporations in the US in the past eight years?

Well, my family is like, upper-lower class or lower-middle class or something, and we haven't really suffered any "horrible damage." I don't think Bush's presidency has affected everyone, nor has it affected most people horribly. Healthcare for non-rich people was shit before Bush, taxes didn't really change for not-rich people, and not everyone has an immediate relative that got shipped out to Iraq.

However, the fact that most people haven't felt the effects of the government's decisions over the past few years is a big part of the problem. Many people are ignorant of problems in their country until they feel the effects of it. I think if this war were affecting us here in our comfy homes more than it is, people would do more to stop it than just bitch about it to each other. "Wah, wah, wah. Bush is an idiot! He should pull the troops! Bitch, bitch, bitch." But do they do anything about it? No. Half the time I think people say that kind of thing just because it's the new cool thing to agree with and say.

There's a phrase I heard a lot with each surgery, and some other medical things, too - just about any time I've gotten put on any medication: "It will get worse before it gets better." Sometimes I wonder if that's what it's going/what it's got to be for this country. Because while things are crappy enough for people to bitch about it, it's not crappy enough for people to do anything about it yet. Maybe if it gets crappy enough that it directly affects more people, people will want change enough to actually make it happen.

It's a sad prediction, but I'm afraid it might be reality.

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 25 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#18 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:30 PM

sad.gif I agree, Spoon. I definitely see far too much apathy across the political spectrum. As a whole, this nation does not care what happens as long as they're constantly told about how America is great and taxes aren't raised. I agree that we need more people to rock the boat and spread awareness and get people to actually care about things outside of their immediate mutual influence, or no change will ever take place. Power is never given, and presently, the government is very keen on seizing more and more power it should never have been able to go anywhere near controlling, were the government not so corrupt. But it has, and no one important cares enough to do anything about it. I find the apathy terrifying. And look where it's gotten the US and the world as a whole...

I don't know what to do, though. There are zillions of people in various political activist groups, and they are repeatedly ignored. They can't even raise enough of a fuss as to get killed like at Kent State in the 70s.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size