Chefelf.com Night Life: U.S Presidential Race: Who are you backing and why? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

U.S Presidential Race: Who are you backing and why?

#1 User is offline   Commodore Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:02 AM

As somebody who is still undecided as to who I like for the (in my case, Democratic) nomination, I'm interested to hear who's supporting who.

#2 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:12 AM

If the United States picks a Republican or Democrat then they are bound to invade a nation, slaughter its inhabitants and rape its resources. As a newly grounded libertarian and an admirer of the U.S constitution, I would vote for Ron Paul simply because he is an isolationist but also because of his internal policies. Unfortunately I am not an American citizen.

Official Ron Paul website

Ron Paul at Wikipedia

Libertarian Party at Wikipedia

Frequently asked questions about the Libertarian Party

This post has been edited by Cobnat: 24 September 2007 - 02:20 AM

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:12 AM

There's no three-party system in the US. Any vote for an independent is a protest vote at best, or possibly a comment on the weakness of Democracy as it's practiced, which may be better. At worst it's a pretentious way of not voting at all.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Sep 24 2007, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's no three-party system in the US. Any vote for an independent is a protest vote at best, or possibly a comment on the weakness of Democracy as it's practiced, which may be better. At worst it's a pretentious way of not voting at all.

Its better to throw your vote away (even though I believe that a vote not cast is a vote wasted) then voting for a party because it is ‘less’ evil/corrupt/imperialistic then the current party. Look at the history of the two main parties in the U.S, there is no difference between their actions internally or externally! The two party system is at best a one party system, we must fight it! Who cares if your votes are wasted!? At least they are not wasted on electing another Republican or Democrat!

#5 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:52 AM

Ron Paul? Are you kidding me? ohmy.gif

Ron Paul is so far left, he's on the right. tongue.gif

Anyway, I'd either support Barack Obama or Mitt Romney; Obama because he's not a flaming wacko like Hillary Clinton, and Romney because Fred Thompson doesn't seem to care much. dry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#6 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

Americans have given all the power in the country to two parties. There is only democratic and republican. It's a damn shame you're locked into this reality.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

And if Coke owned Pepsi, they'd best not let the word get out.

#8 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

Mitt Romney is a creepy Mormon whose website, until he started getting more press, said things like "We need to take care of the Muslim problem" and "We need to send more of our boys out their to eradicate the Muslim threat." I saw it myself. Soon after it had been changed to slightly more politically correct terms, though the message is the same.

I honestly don't like anyone that's running very well, except Obama seems okay but let's face it, there's no way he's going to win. Neither will Clinton. Unfortunately, it seems so far like Romney's spit-shined bullshit is going to win enough people over to win this election and put yet another Republican power-mongering idiot in office. (At least I think he's smarter than Bush... But with his agenda, I don't think that's a good thing.)
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#9 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Sep 24 2007, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ron Paul? Are you kidding me? ohmy.gif

Ron Paul is so far left, he's on the right. tongue.gif

If your not going to be series then please smeg off.

QUOTE (Bond @ Sep 24 2007, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I'd either support Barack Obama or Mitt Romney; Obama because he's not a flaming wacko like Hillary Clinton, and Romney because Fred Thompson doesn't seem to care much. dry.gif

Obama is an inexperienced Clinton lackey and Romney is… well Spoons made my case. Bond, think for a second, do you really want the next President to send American soldiers into harms way? All Presidential hopefuls have expressed that they will be sending troops somewhere in the world (usually to reinforce troops already based somewhere) and the only Presidential candidate who is against this is Ron Paul. Consider this; the Iraq war has costed Americans around 80-100 billion dollars a year and the Kosovo war costed Americans around 90 billion for just 3 months! If America keeps making war then the taxes in your country will just keep getting higher and higher, if you have no moral obligation then at least think of your wallet.

#10 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ Sep 24 2007, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its better to throw your vote away (even though I believe that a vote not cast is a vote wasted) then voting for a party because it is ‘less’ evil/corrupt/imperialistic then the current party. Look at the history of the two main parties in the U.S, there is no difference between their actions internally or externally! The two party system is at best a one party system, we must fight it! Who cares if your votes are wasted!? At least they are not wasted on electing another Republican or Democrat!

I don't see how voting for someone with no chance of winning isn't the same as wasting a vote. I know all the people who voted for Nader a while back figured they were making siome big statement, but since that's pretty much forgotten and Nader might as well be dead for all the press he's getting, they might have been just as successful with their "statement" had they stayed at home, not bothered to vote, and then bitched about politics on this very site.

But what do I know. Go ahead and vote for soemone who can't possibly win, then tell everyone that you're neither left nor right, or whatever it is that allows you to feel you don't have a stake in the system. In the end you know that either a Republican or a Democrat will come into power and send troops somewhere to defend US business interests abroad.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#11 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

Why is it that Canada can create a political party aside from liberals and conservatives? Canadian political play offs feel rugged and almost sterile, regardless of how 'hip' they try to make it with debates and stuff.

I think American Media has sort of cheated the public into believing there are only two parties. Look at CNN and all the stupid analyzing shows. Hardball, that stupid lady (you know the one where the name of her show, which is also her name, jitters back and forth in the corner of the screen?) Cooper Anderson etc... These idiots only talk about the heavy weights. Fact is they make the heavy weights heavy.

The problem is people let politicians slide in to their consious via TV. If they aren't on the tube then they don't exist or are obviously not important enough. Which is normal I guess, the average lad is too busy working 9-5 to give a shit.

American vote is based on 85% laziness (the lack of willl to find or support a canditate that isn't on the cover of GQ magazine) 10% gay marriage and 5% on who celebrities back.

It would be so quality if a guy like nader got in. It would pull the rug on dems and reps so hard that the new cool thing would be smaller independent parties, they'd all start joining them in a last ditch effort to be hip to the scene.

---

Voting out of spite, on a loser, or not at all is the same thing. I voted for Green Peace a few times knowing they'd lose. I didn't need to vote at all but at the time my father forced me too.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 24 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#12 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

Yeah well the Canadian riding system makes Independents possible. So while big national parties might take the reins all the time (although there are more than two and new parties appear from time to time), a guy like Chuck Cadman can take a seat and Parliament actually has to deal with him. In the US, it's all-or-nothing, so even if you get the most votes in your riding, you don't get the job unless your party wins.

#13 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

I will vote blue, unless the Democratic candidate is Joseph Lieberman, and then I will not vote at all. The Republican party is neo-fascist, and while the Democratic party has no courage, no platform, and spends its time being hypocritical and bitching, it's better than letting someone continue the War for Terror that Bush Jr. and his pig administration has started. I can't believe that Rudy Juliani, complete bomb in office (ask anybody in NYC how he did, and I doubt you'll hear many people outside of the mob who can describe his terms without explitives) actually has a campaign going on the bullshit rhetoric that Bush started: "Either you support everything I say, or you hate freedom and support terrorists! NO EXCEPTIONS!"

I'm very disappointed that Obama is a senator and has been spending all of his senator time campaigning. It's a rather dick move. And everyone hates Mrs. Clinton, but nobody can ever tell me why. I've met literally two people who actually have reasons as to why they wouldn't vote for her that go beyond "She sucks!" or some variant of that.

Two party system for the complete global loss.

Cobnat: Libertarians are greedy, selfish people with a political mindset that belongs in the 1700s. (I mainly take offense to their open support of laissez-faire capitalism and total negligence of the protection of people from being voliated by other people.) Unless you want to fight tooth and nail to the top, you'll get uncermoniously stomped on by the rest of them because you'll be in their way.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#14 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

I said why I don't like Clinton, and if you really think voting for a democrat will pull the troops out of Iraq, you better do some more research.

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 24 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#15 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

You're one of those people I was talking about, Spoon. And I don't think any president will really have the courage to pull troops out of Iraq. I don't think there's a politician out there with a single shred of integrity, and it would take a good bit of that to pull troops. I don't think voting for a Democrat will do anything but slow down the fascism of the Republican party for a little while, and that's what I have to put up with from the system for right now unless I vacate the country completely or someone drums up support for a better regime change, which wouldn't happen even if someone got violent support.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size