• +

My iPhone Wednesday, September 12, 2007

#16 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Sep 13 2007, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think my main problem with the iPhone is the overkill on the number of devices it encompasses. To me it's just another hybrid device that we didn't really need that badly. I have a Samsung SGH - t609. It has a MicroSD slot for up to 2GB of memory, a 1.3 megapixel camera, an MP3 player, and a great GUI. But at the end of the day, it's a phone. I bought a phone because I wanted a phone, not a handful of gadgets. So I use it to make/receive calls and text messages occasionally. I've never used the web browser on a phone, or MSN/AIM/YahooIM, my phone is always on vibrate so I don't care if it can play back MP3 ringtones anymore (plus my provider, Rogers, has begun selling all of its phones with some kind of copy protection, so you can only use MP3 files purchased from their music store as ringtones).
I just think there's such a thing as "too much of a good thing" when it comes to technology. There's not really much need to cram that much stuff into a phone.

I guess the difference is that I don't want a phone. So having an iPod that has some extra goodies but will also occassionally put through a call to me is a big bonus.

I'm also a fan of just having the phone on vibrate since, as previously stated, I hate ringtones.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#17 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

The buzzing on other devices is an AT&T (ex Cingular) issue, not specific to the phone. The frequency they broadcast with is causing that. I've dealt with it for years. It was a lot worse before they fully converted to a total GSM system. It is highly annoying but I do get a psychic vision of when I'm about to get a call.

As far as the iPhone goes, I've wanted one since I first saw the concept for it but that quickly deteriorated when it was released. The 'no-mp3' ringtones was kind of a turn off due to the fact that I enjoy cutting my own sound bites an music for tones instead of using out of teh box tones (although I will concede that most people's taste in tones is horrible. i love the ones that are so low quality that you can't eve tell what song is supposed to be playing.) The 500-600 dollar pricetag was a bit much too, but that's becoming more reasonable. And honestly all I really wanted was a combo phone/mp3 player with touch interface. Now they're offering the ipod touch and it makes me wonder if i'll ever think of getting an iphone.

#18 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Cemetery guy @ Sep 12 2007, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Come on Jeff, don't cave on me. We are the last of our species (Humanus Nocellphoneus). Fight it man, fight it.

I fought it for so long... but in the end, I found that I really needed the convenience of having people to be able annoy me anywhere.

#19 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (reiner @ Sep 14 2007, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The buzzing on other devices is an AT&T (ex Cingular) issue, not specific to the phone. The frequency they broadcast with is causing that. I've dealt with it for years. It was a lot worse before they fully converted to a total GSM system. It is highly annoying but I do get a psychic vision of when I'm about to get a call.

That sounds like it should make sense but Jen's phone is AT&T and I never have any buzzing problems with that. I don't know, maybe it doesn't spend as much time near the computer as the iPhone does.

Anyone know any tips for stopping the buzzing fits?

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#20 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Oh, don't you worry -- my phone makes the speakers freak out, too! It's more so that my phone isn't near them enough for it to be noticable, I think. smile.gif

But yes, it would be GREAT if it didn't make that racket.

#21 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

Some information here confirms the iPhone issues: http://forums.macrum...ad.php?t=323650

It's the device which requires more connections than standard phones. I've heard this noise made by all cell phones, it's just the frequency (as in how often it happens, not radio frequency) that bothers me.

#22 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

My biggest grip with the iPhone (other than the amusing price) is that I'm getting tired of buying stuff from large corporations, that ends up working for them rather than working for me.

It's inexcusable that you cannot play ANY mp3 file you want as a ringtone. There is no (zero/0/none) technological reason for doing this other than: we want you to pay us some more money if you want that song as a ringtone.

When is this going to stop? If I buy a Sony DVD player, it will refuse to play non-original DVDs in an attempt to stop piracy. I bought that damn DVD!!!! It is mine. If I choose to watch pirated movies, then that's what you (the DVD) need to be playing, and let me worry about going to hell (or to jail). Stop protecting Sony's interests and start working in my favour.

Same with my car: It has engine problems. My car's computer knows what the problem is, but will it tell me? Nooo.. I need to drive into an authorised dealer and pay 50$ , then the car will tell the dealer what the problem is, so the dealer can tell me. Just fking great !

ok... going to bed....
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#23 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

I feel exactly the same about the ringtone thing. However, I don't think it has to do with the iPhone, Apple or AT&T, I think it's the music business in general. The ringtone market is pretty absurd.

The iPhone, however, is working for me. It's working FANTASTICALLY! smile.gif

As for not buying stuff from large corporations, good luck with that. wink.gif

#24 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

I dunno, I used to be anti-corporationy, then I become a Microsoft bitch, and henceforth an MSP. Now I have converted almost all of my open source programs and stuff to Microsoft brand stuff. Not just because I'm a Microsoft bitch, its just that once you have one thing that works with it, there are features of that bit that require you do something with Microsoft first, and before you know it, all you're stuff is integrated with every other part.

#25 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:20 AM

Maddox had a pretty good review of the iPhone on his page: http://www.thebestpa.../c.cgi?u=iphone

He had some good points. And while I'm still in love with my iPhone (sorry) his point about the inability to copy and paste text is very valid. There's really no excuse for this 'feature' to not exist on the iPhone.

Also, the audio quality on the voicemail is pretty bad. It's super compressed and really, really horrible. The convenience of accessing and listening to voicemail more than makes up for it but I wish the option existed to up the voicemail quality even just by one notch.

Other than that after a couple of weeks I can't really think of anything else I'm disappointed with.

#26 User is offline   rs_shadow0000 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

Sounds appealing good. But none of that is an iPhone. And back my account bills accept been through the roof with Sprint recently, I was abundant added adequate affective over to AT&T area I had a bigger plan and rollover account which would accomplish my account bills all-embracing abundant added affordable. I accept Sprint's attitude on all of this but some of those offers would accept been nice afore I mentioned that I capital to leave.

This post has been edited by rs_shadow0000: 30 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size