• +
  • « First
  • Last »

The Prequels according to us.

#61 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:56 AM

So it is... I hadn't noticed that this was an old thread. It's because there have been so many recently with similar titles.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#62 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:08 AM

I thought I'd dig this thread up again as prequel re-writing is in the air once more.

#63 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

You might want to check out this thread, Movie Goer.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

#64 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

The main reason why I'm digging these threads up is to salvage all the various re-write ideas that have been floating around on the back pages.

There's a lot of good ideas on all of these various threads and I'm trying to make sure they're available for our latest budding writers.

#65 User is offline   BinarySunset Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

Well, JYAMG, thank you for "digging up these threads" if for no other reason than I (the newbie) get to read them and get excited!

It is really cool to see that I'm not alone with the ideas that've been swirling around in my head for lo these many years.

I love it - most especially (of course): the idea that Anakin is MUCH older when we meet him and therefore truly a "great pilot" and "cunning warrior" and "good friend" that Obi Wan talked about in OT.

I'm enjoying reading these, thanks!

#66 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

You're most welcome. I just lucky enough to have been here when they were posted, so I could remember the various titles of these threads.

#67 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:31 PM

dont' forget about the "fossil" thread. Althought i think you need to add the fact that
i) some how Leia has to know about a General Obi-Wan Kenobi hiding on Tatooine.

also...do Ben Kenobi and Owen have to have a beef? The dialogue does suggest it, but I always figured they were cooperating. The both probably agreed to hide anakin, with Owen as the caretaker with the power Obi-Wan nearby, if needed. Its obvious that Obi-Wan is hiding on Tatooine to keep an eye on Luke. I can totally see him staying hidden using his mind tricks.

Maybe Kenobi is a common last name like Smith. That way Obi-Wan would only change his first name. "Hm..Obi-Wan Kenobi? I wonder if he's related to old Ben Kenobi out on the dune sea." Obiviously people know about Ben Kenobi and just think he's a coot. The imperials may have heard of him but didn't think twice because the name was so common. If they ever decided to check him out he'd just mind trick them.

Owen needs to be an important character in the PT in order to assume the awesome responsibility of hiding Vader's son. If anything, they could have a breif arguement on keeping the child isolated, never knowing the truth, and training him to be a Jedi. "no, i don't want you training Luke...you' just screw up like you did with Anakin...or have you forgotten."

Finally....the look on Kenobi's face when he hears "obi-wan" instead of "ben kenobi" for the first time in a "long time." Combined with the "ancient religion" comment....its just leads me to believe that way more than 20 years passed since the jedi were destroyed. If someone calls one of my parents a name from 20 years ago...like "Frank the Tank"....they don't flip out with that kind of look on thier face.

Maybe Kenobi's real name is Ben and "Obi-Wan" is a ceremonial title? (Kind of like Grand Moff). Seriously, luke calls Kenobi "Ben" throughout the entire OT. "Ben...why didn't you tell me?" Random thought....it kind of sounds like Pada-Wan. Obi-Wan. DUDE, learning the force can be like korean martial arts where 1st degree black belt is Cho-Dan....2nd degree E Dan....3rd Degree Sam Dan....4th degree Sah Dan...and so on.

So in Jedi martial arts you have "Wans" instead of "Dans"....like "Pada-Wan...Obi-Wan...Tiru-Wan....something like that....nah don't listen to me i'm just rambling now....

This post has been edited by Just another wretched fan: 21 April 2005 - 11:32 PM

#68 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:50 AM

Interesting post. But I think we should drop the name padawan. It's more silliness from the official prequels that we could live without. A Jedi in training was called an apprentice in the original movies and that sounded fine to me.

Also, I think Luke just calls Obi Wan "Ben" because he'd been calling him that all his life so it'd be pretty hard to suddenly call him Obi Wan all the time.

Although, I do like the idea of Owen and Obi Wan cooperating on keeping Luke in hiding... in which case they would have both been pretending not to like each other.

If we do that though, I'm not sure how to play the line "Your father wanted you to have this when you old enough but your uncle wouldn't allow it..."

But I guess it could still be part of the act. Anyway, it's thought-provoking to say the least.

#69 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:55 AM

I don't really have a problem with the word 'padawan' - it's a bit strange, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. Besides, it's used in KOTOR, and as far as I'm concerned KOTOR is 300% canon. In fact, in cases of minor discrepancy between the OT and KOTOR, I would tend to go with the latter - it provides a far better explanation of the Force, the Dark Side etc. than the movies ever did.

#70 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:00 AM

As for Obi-Wan's "Obi-Wan Kenobi.. now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long time" and the ancient religion comment I was convinced that the Jedi would be fairly scarce and scattered at the time of the Clone Wars - and that an actual 'Long Time' rather than twenty or twenty-five years should pass since Obi-Wan was last Obi-Wan.

#71 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:03 AM

As for Obi-Wan's "Obi-Wan Kenobi.. now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long time" and the ancient religion comment I was convinced that the Jedi would be fairly scarce and scattered at the time of the Clone Wars - and that an actual 'Long Time' rather than twenty or twenty-five years should pass since Obi-Wan was last Obi-Wan.

#72 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ Apr 22 2005, 12:03 PM)

The problem I have is working out why on earth Obi-Wan changed his name to Ben. If it happened before the fall of the Republic - which is presumably the case, as Luke must surely have been conceived before Anakin became Vader - what reason would he have for it? And Vader called him 'Obi-Wan', so he must still have had that name when Anakin first knew him.

#73 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:47 AM

I figure he changed his name to Ben to maintain anonymity. It's possible that somebody on Tatooine might recognise the name and blow the whole thing away.

As for padawan, I don't care what else it's used in, it's a dicky sounding name, it's unnecessary and it was yet another stupid contradiction from the prequels.

I don't care how good Knights of the Old Republic is. If the word 'padawan' was a building, I would burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

No word can describe how dicky that term is.

#74 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

As for Luke continuing to call Obi-Wan "Ben" that's easy enough to explain - that's how he's known him all his life. It's pretty clear to me (although it's been disputed) that he's known Ben for a time; he recognises him instantly when he's rescued from the Sand People. So of course he'd tend to use the name Ben.

But Leia seems to recognise the name "Ben Kenobi" as well.

#75 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:09 AM

So he must have changed names quite some time back, and private friends, like Owen and Bail must have been among the few who he revealed this too. He must also have been famous to a certain degree, given that Tarkin recognised the name and reputation.

Anakin would not have known "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan" - it seems to me at least that a duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin would be inconsistent with their civilised meeting in Star Wars (ANH for some)

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size