• Last »

The Prequels according to us.

#46 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Apr 22 2004, 10:26 PM)
I don't wanna get into a full political discusion with you though. The concept that the US knows where  Osama Bin Ladin is and ludicrous for the mere fact that Dubya and his legion of doom aren't smart enough to come up with a plan that brilliant. ph34r.gif 

You miss my point entirely. I make no claim the US knows where bin Laden is. There are folks out there with a lot of evidence that the FAA allowed flights out of the US for members of the bin Laden family, even while they were gorunding all US planes, but I am not one of those people, I don't know that it's significant that those family members allegedly went to Saudi Arabia, and I make no claims along those lines.

All I'm saying is the US demanded that the Taliban turn over bin Laden. the Taliban said "We don't have bin Laden." The US used this as a pretext to bomb and invade Afghantistan. Eight months later they officially declared that Al Qaeda and Afghanistan were probably behind the 9-11 attacks. Eight months later they still had not found the pretext for the attack, bin Laden.

The US also claimed that Iraq held weapons of mass destruction. Iraq said "We have no WMD." The US used this as a pretext to bomb and ivade Iraq, and in every other speech (or more, I didn't count) Bush would say "September 11th" when talking about the completely unrelated topic of Saddam Hussein. Two years later, they have still not found the very pretext for the attack, these WMD.

My statement "The US will find bin Laden when they want to" has to do with the fact that they knew damn well they'd never find him in Afghanistan, just as they knew they'd never find WMD in Iraq. I think we all know they need to look in Saudi Arabia, that Saudis were behind the attacks of September 11th (the majority of the terrorists are known to have flown in FROM Saudi Arabia, despite the current popular myth that there were Iraqis among them). The US isn't ready to get into such hot water as that. Iraq was a test case to see how far they could go in declaring war for no reason, and it's gone ok. The pretext even holds up, as a good number of US citizens still believe that Iraq was planning a big terrorist event in the US, sometime soon, with those WMD that we now know they were *capable* of building, even if they hadn't actually built them yet.

Anyway, as to who holds the rights to RED ZONE CUBA, I'll get back to you on that wink.gif

Like you say, this is way off the topic of STAR WARS, and I may agree that the Emperor was just fine as a mysterious shadow figure in EMPIRE. And a a Sith-thingy of some kind. Sure sure. I just don't think he was used best in JEDI.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 24 April 2004 - 04:13 AM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#47 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Apr 22 2004, 09:50 PM)
Oh come on. Because Luke's wearing a hood it's the Jedi uniform? First of all, it's not like he's even wearing a robe, he's wearing a cloak to hide himself, and then he takes it off and he's just wearing a black (and it's black, not brown as Obi's was) jumpsuit.

Ok, sure. Who is he hiding himself from, exactly? None of these people even know who he is! But I'll concede the main point, Luke isn't actually wearing a robe, just a hood, like the Emperor but not necessarily like Ben.

I think somwhere along the road Lucas decided that Luke would look more Jedi-like if he wore a hood, like he was suddenly Bed Kenobi, and he was hoping this would register in the audience immediately and make everybody cheer the way he later hoped we all would when R2D2 was introduced in TPM. I think he was that nervous about getting immediate audience connection. But you're right. I can't actually prove it, since similarity is not identity.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#48 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:21 AM

Civil, what do you know about the DENARI(SP)? Have you ever heard of this arab currency before? I would like to know more about it, but am to lazy to research it myself.

I'm told it's a currency created to try kill the American dollar. Some Arab countries will not sell oil for USA notes. They are trying to get China and Japan (the two countries that hold a lot of American money, and practically keeping us alive) to stop investing in American money.

Is this ture? does anyone here know anything about this?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#49 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:53 AM

Come on, guys, I came here to talk SW, not politics.

As for Luke's black outfit, yes, this is the style of the Jedi outfit I always imagined, certainly not the color, but the style.

I'm a little put off by Anakin's "leather look" in AOTC. Although, it's really not that bad. The cloaks are optional, and Luke's use of one in ROTJ is because he's on Tatooine, and that's what they wore. smile.gif
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#50 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:23 AM

I kind of think there's enough bad stuff going on in Star Wars now without having to worry about the clothes and Jedi cloaks. Personally I think it was the prequels that turned Obi Wan's Tatooine clothes into a Jedi uniform, not Return of the Jedi.

That was just silly, how they did that. Obi Wan's clothes were for the harsh Tatooine climate and they made perfectly good sense.

I think young Jedi, especially those who like to jump around a lot, would need clothing that is a little more practical for fighting.

With regards to the political discussions, they're interesting and I've never heard of that Arab currency that you refer to, Jordan. But I'd be interested to know more about it if anyone can answer Jordan's query.

#51 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:19 PM

Come on, guys, I came here to talk SW, not politics.

Agreed!! !!!!! :yuck:

"Anyway, as to who holds the rights to RED ZONE CUBA, I'll get back to you on that"

Appreciate it , civ! Thanks!! smile.gif

#52 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Apr 24 2004, 04:21 AM)
Civil, what do you know about the DENARI(SP)? Have you ever heard of this arab currency before? I would like to know more about it, but am to lazy to research it myself.

I'm told it's a currency created to try kill the American dollar. Some Arab countries will not sell oil for USA notes. They are trying to get China and Japan (the two countries that hold a lot of American money, and practically keeping us alive) to stop investing in American money.

Is this ture? does anyone here know anything about this?

Don't want to go to far away for the Star Wars stuff either, but to give you a start point Jordan, I think one of the things you are referring to relates to the selling of oil, but in the Euro. I think it was about 1999 when Iraq began to trade in the Euro when selling thier oil. It was not a huge amount, but certainly a start point.

Now if the world as a whole starts to buy up the Euro in order to buy oil in Euros then I'll let you take it from here as to what will happen to the US currency. As a side note though - Iraq no longer sells oil in Euros.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#53 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 April 2004 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 22 2004, 02:33 PM)
Ben is hiding out on an alegedly unimportant, far-flung planet, under an assumed name (and not a very good one), and he is disguised as a Jedi knight?

Well, you're ignoring the fact that Obi-Wan is a grand master of deception. Think about it:

- He hides Anakin's son Luke, at his brother's Owen farm's so that the Emperor and Vader will never find him.. "Gee Wiz, I would have never thought asking my brother if my lost son is living with him at my mother's old farm on my native planet.". I mean you average galaxy has 10^22 stars arround, pick one!

- He hides Leia on Alderaan (though I strongly suspect this was not his ideea), and then tels her adoptive parents:" if you daughter ever runs into trouble, just tell her to come and look me up on Tatooine." I mean what's the point ?

- Not only that , but now he also goes into hiding himself. Where else than across the street from Luke? I mean at this point it feels he should be hiding behind a bush or something given his level of deceptive skills.

This post has been edited by Radu094: 27 April 2004 - 03:41 AM

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#54 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:35 AM

i dissapear for a few days and this is what happens to a conversation...

#55 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:02 AM

Welcome back, Barend. Yeah, I guess this topic has been de-railed at some stage. Oh well. But everybody still hates the prequels and that's the important thing. smile.gif

#56 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

damn...

#57 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 27 2004, 07:31 PM)
damn...

It's karma. You'll get over it. Serves you right for dissapearing like that. We thought you were trying to pull an Obi-Wan on us.

See, now I'm depressed. I've just attempted to make a joke out of something that occurred in the OT because of what the PT has done to the back story.

I HATE YOU LUCAS

Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#58 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:18 AM

I'm just posting a reply to this thread to get it back onto the first page. I think it's becoming rather relevant again. Also, it may be interesting to see if any of our newer members have some ideas they might like to add.

- Movie Goer

#59 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 29 August 2004 - 06:13 AM

Sheesh, I miss one evening and come back to find the SW forum full of discussions about Bin Laden... anyway, I seem to remember discussing the Jedi robes before at some point. I don't really have a problem with them, to be honest. Yes, it was lazy of Lucas to turn Obi-Wan's robes into the official 'Jedi uniform', but I think they look OK - they're reasonably distinctive and not too 'fancy', which makes sense. I can see why some people see this as a flaw, but compared to all the other problems with the Prequels, it's a minor one at most.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#60 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:51 AM

No, Helena. That's not why I dug this thread up from the seventh page or wherever it was. I thought it be interesting for those who haven't had a look to see some of the alternative prequel ideas. And for you newer members to contribute your own if you've got any. smile.gif

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size