Chefelf.com Night Life: can anyone help me identify a sci-fi movie - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

can anyone help me identify a sci-fi movie from my childhood

#1 User is offline   OhNo_Stereo Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Location:delaware, the last state I'd ever recommend to decent people
  • Interests:star wars, steak dinners, cheese burgers, scotch with water, cigarette glamour, nabokov, cassette tapes, VHS, broadcast television aandd getting out of this god aweful state. don't go to delaware, it's worthlesss, unless you go to like authentic mexican restaurants, ie everyone else in the joint is latin, but barring a trip in for outstanding carnitas dishes, I recommend just standing on the border and throwing rocks at people you suspect might be delawarians.

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

ok so once I was sitting around in a hotel room with my pops when I was maybe 5 or 6, it was sometime in the late eighties or early ninties and this movie came on the tv. it made a pretty strong impression on me at the time, but all I have of it are some vague cloudy images.

so it opens with a guy coming out of cryo-freeze, I think, in his space ship, I think he had a towl on his neck, and then he opens this chamber on the floor, from which he wakes his android girl friend. the ship and everything is kind of junky blade-runner, alien, era of design.

so then they seemed to crash or land on a dry planet where some crazy pirate types approach on a huge...moving structure, just a lot of pipes or something on wheels or treads, some twenty thirty feet tall. they're all jumping around and yelling, and I think arguing with or picking a fight with the guy from the ship. so they shoot it out, and after the fight he comes over to his android girlfriend who's lying in the dirt, and her face is melting away revealing all her mechanical wirey parts. I think he crouched down to look at her fairly non chalant, and his reaction seemed to be pretty mild; all, 'tsk dang...oh well.'

anyway the only other things I remember is that later he picks up a side kick, maybe a younger dark haired girl, and at some point they end up in some kind of dark two level watery chamber where huge white flabby evil-michelan man monsters are all tryina get them. I think at some point they slide down a pole, and when they escape the chamber it's sort of ... the outside reminds me of the almost pyramid like early sandcrawler if anybody has a star wars to indiana jones. this part might be from another movie..

so... if this rings any bells at all, I'd love to hear about it.

EDIT: added some detail

This post has been edited by OhNo_Stereo: 22 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

#2 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Outland, starring Sean Connery, perhaps? unsure.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:06 PM

Ummm... have you seen OUTLAND?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

It kinda sounds like Total Recall to me, but I haven't seen that movie in years so I'm not sure. Stars Arnie, and has an alien chick with three boobs in it.

http://imdb.com/titl...100802/synopsis
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#5 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:16 AM

No, it's not that. My first thought was ICE PIRATES, but I read the synopsis online and it's not that either. I don't think I've seen this thing you're talking about.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

Is this it?

Annihilator (1986) (TV)

Here's a weird thing I found while searching that is worth checking out though it will not answer your movie question, I'm sure: http://www.androidworld.com/prod19.htm

Moving to the movie forum, BTW. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   OhNo_Stereo Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:star wars, steak dinners, cheese burgers, scotch with water, cigarette glamour, nabokov, cassette tapes, VHS, broadcast television aandd getting out of this god aweful state. don't go to delaware, it's worthlesss, unless you go to like authentic mexican restaurants, ie everyone else in the joint is latin, but barring a trip in for outstanding carnitas dishes, I recommend just standing on the border and throwing rocks at people you suspect might be delawarians.

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

aaahhh crap I'm so sick of 'web sense' so far the annihilator is the best contender for what this might have been, it wasn't outland for sure, or ice pirates, but every damn site that has information about the annihilator is blocked by my work server. imdb no less, geesh what's the harm in imdb! I ask you!

that android page is priceless. the part that gets my head reeling though, is that it could be legit, not likely but I mean in this day and age and whatnot like that's not all that improbable. I like the weird dramatic pose...and the 8000 dollar 'smell' unit...

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:36 PM

Funny that they block imdb but not that android page.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#9 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

Yes; very funny business, indeed... dry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#10 User is offline   OhNo_Stereo Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

yeah I don't know what the deal is, every page I try to go to its a crap shoot whether or not it will be blocked. the IT department (which is in another state) apparently locks out sites that people frequent. but they're a little weird about it. for instance I was frequening the drawingboard forums and these forums for the same amount of time, but drawingboard was blocked suddenly and not this site... my only guess is that the people in IT are star wars fans but not art fans? what does that mean?

#11 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

Perhaps God plays with dice, in your case... wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#12 User is offline   OhNo_Stereo Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

...que?

worshipping I.T. as some sort of god are you? you're sick... [friendly emoticon]

This post has been edited by OhNo_Stereo: 28 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

#13 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

No, I mean, fate is playing games with you and messing up your system. It's a takeoff from an Albert Einstein quote, actually. blush.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#14 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 28 2007, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps God plays with dice, in your case... wink.gif

Albert Einstein: "God does not play dice!"

Niels Bohr: "Einstein, stop telling God what to do!"

Relatively true story. tongue.gif I might have quoted them slightly wrong, I dunno. I can't help answer the question except to say it's not Total Recall.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#15 User is offline   OhNo_Stereo Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

I'm going to see my dad pretty soon so might get an answer to this question, but he was hitting the reefer pretty hard back in my youth (uhm well he still is) so I doubt he'll know what I'm talking about. realistically I'm expecting a "wha? oh yeaaaaahh yeahhh.....no I don't know what that was" although he claimed the movie was a classic at the time...

anyway when is god not playing with dice? he doesn't seem to have had an active hand in the dealings of the universe ever since he was the big man on campus in the old testament. then it seems he invented random chance and then went "oh well now that's convienient, I'll just let these dice determine the fate of the universe, now I can focus on my real passion....pogs...."

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size