Chefelf.com Night Life: After the dust has settled. - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

After the dust has settled. The long-term impact of the prequels.

#76 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

All right, but despite being nerdy, it was cool. In any case, I wasn't ashamed to say I was a Star Wars fan in the past.

Hello, Chefelf.

#77 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Neither do I; I only shrink from admitting so in public because my sisters tease me about it. blushing.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#78 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Aug 24 2007, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
STAR WARS was nominated for Best Picture in 1977. It was widely regarded as an important film, more than a kid's escape, and something worth talking about. "Man's Men" talked about the LORD OF THE RINGS films in recent years, while the novels themselves really got hippy blood pumping like mad for a while. Heavy metal bands even wrote songs about them back in the day.

So you can have difficulty believing it all you want, but folks talk about what is popular, real men among them. Unless I don't understand what you mean by "Man's man," and you imagined that Barend was describing parties that cowboys went to before trolling the towns to hire hookers and beat up fags. You know, guys who think reading is gay and would even mock you for reading Hemmingway. It didn't sound to me, however, that he was.

QUOTE (Storm @ Aug 24 2007, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have difficulty believing that Star Wars used to be something that a real "man's man" would talk about at a party. Then again, perhaps they were discussing the absurdity of an 18 year old farm boy playing around with the model of a ship that he actualy owned, or Princess Leia deciding to return to Rebel's secret base on Yavin knowing she was being tracked by the Empire.

I wouldn't know....I wasn't born until 1982.

You have difficulty believing everything. We didn't nerdily talk about the origins of bobba fett, if that's what you mean. I on one occasion theorised that the whole thig was about a big drug war, that the empire were the columbian cocain kingpins, and how each planet represendet a different cartell or drug supply. The whole thing was actually quite in depth. Other times it just got quoted in passing the way the simpsons does...

We didn't take our shirts off and do push ups, but we didn't sit around comparing out midichlorians either.

We just got drunk or whatevered, put on some Helmet or Ministry and mingled.

STAR WARS was nominated for Best Picture in 1977. It was widely regarded as an important film, more than a kid's escape, and something worth talking about. "Man's Men" talked about the LORD OF THE RINGS films in recent years, while the novels themselves really got hippy blood pumping like mad for a while. Heavy metal bands even wrote songs about them back in the day.

That's an understatement. There's barely a place or character in LOTR that some norwegian black metal band isn't named after.

So you can have difficulty believing it all you want, but folks talk about what is popular, real men among them. Unless I don't understand what you mean by "Man's man," and you imagined that Barend was describing parties that cowboys went to before trolling the towns to hire hookers and beat up fags. You know, guys who think reading is gay and would even mock you for reading Hemmingway. It didn't sound to me, however, that he was.

No... usually just punks and metal heads.

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Aug 27 2007, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nerdy now? Star Wars was always nerdy, my friend. smile.gif

They had a nerd faction in their fan base as allways happens with anything set in space. The point is being a nerd back then, wasn't a prerequisit.

#79 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:13 AM

holy shit, barend, when did you start using capitals?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#80 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

I meant to post here a while back. My thoughts are pretty scattered, but here goes.

Before home theater, Lucas had more control over SW. We were rebels at bay, waiting for the next sequel, theatrical re-release or televised broadcast. Personally, I had worn out my audio bootleg cassettes of SW and ESB long before JEDI came out.

When GL let go of the power and released SW to VHS, we were given full access to watch those films, 1000s of times, every one of us.

With the ability to call up our SW companions with the push of a button, GL had truly given us complete accessibility and ownership. And that included the indelible images burned into our memories (including those we'd imprint ourselves through fan lore).

Then he screwed us over, time and again when he changed and altered those images, which didn't jive with our memory.

GL doesn't have fans as much as he has admirers of his creation.

And he's got less of them every day.
Until some twit tells some impressionable skull full of mush about how great he is. I'm done now.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size