Chefelf.com Night Life: Queen Amidala's accent? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Queen Amidala's accent?

#1 User is offline   Esco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:I love playing baseball, fishing, spending work day ripping on the SW prequels, hanging out with my wife, going to church, working out, writing music, producing music, watching movies, going for long walks (with wife), hanging out with friends.

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:12 PM

Ok, so when we first meet this porcelain doll-looking girl, and she's speaking
some odd quasi-british accent. Then as the move progress, we see her without
makeup, and she speaks completely different.
Come episode II, she is speaking like a average american teen.
Does she have a complex?
Is it Portman's terrible acting?
I have a sad feeling it lies within the abliilties (or lack thereof) Sir George.

#2 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

Maybe it's to keep in line with (or possibly explain) the fact that Princess Leia did the exact same thing.

In Episode IV Princess Leia spoke with a British accent ONLY when talking to the imperials (Grand Moff Tarkin and Vader). When she was rescued (and even before she was captured in her "help me Obi-Wan" hologram rap) she spoke with an American accent. Also, in the other two movies she spoke entirely with an American accent.

It was cute in Episdoe IV. One of those very bizarre and unexplained mysteries.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#3 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:18 PM

Supposedly in TPM George told her to do it because it would keep her identity a secret, so that we would be surprised at the big revelation that *gasp* Padme and Amidala are the same person! In IV it's cool because it's almost like she feels she needs to be diplomatic with the Imperials and show her political strength, but then we see she's really just a regular person. In I it's just for a stupid identity mystery.

#4 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:12 PM

Maybe it's to keep in line with (or possibly explain) the fact that Princess Leia did the exact same thing.

In Episode IV Princess Leia spoke with a British accent ONLY when talking to the imperials (Grand Moff Tarkin and Vader). When she was rescued (and even before she was captured in her "help me Obi-Wan" hologram rap) she spoke with an American accent. Also, in the other two movies she spoke entirely with an American accent.

It was cute in Episdoe IV. One of those very bizarre and unexplained mysteries.

Or maybe it is just the same of Lucas idiotic style of movie making.
We overlook it in ANH, because we enjoyed the movie and saw it as a minor error.

Because we hate TPM, it is now a serious flaw.

In ANH, it was a cute device, in TPM it was a grave error. Doesn't that seem incossistent?

BTW, you are dead on with your reasons tpo hate Episodes One and TWo. I hav eno diagreement with any of them. I just don't agree with that methodology being used on ROTJ.

#5 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:57 PM

No, because in ANH it's explainable, as I posted above, here it's bad because it's used in a great plot device for the movie. As I've said, the "amazing" revelation that Padme is also the Queen! And in ANH, even if you consider it an error, it's a minor error because it wasn't anything essential to the plot, a little inconsistency, but nothing too horrible to the plot. In TPM, it is one of the main driving forces OF the plot, and it is executed stupidly and childishly, and gave me no surprise whatsoever. That's why it sucks in TPM but is ok in ANH.

#6 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:46 PM

I just don't agree with that methodology being used on ROTJ.

That's fair enough, I think. I know this is a site for discussing why we all hate the prequels and it's not really for people to argue about merits of the original movies. But I've never really seen it as an argument - just an interesting discussion, because people have a lot of different feelings on the subject.

Anyway, it's not my intention to offend anyone on these posts. I just enjoy that discussion topic.

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:21 AM

For the record, I have never complained about Portman's her-and-there accent, just as i never complained about Costner's in ROBIN HOOD. When you're dealing with such bad movies, what's the point? It's best just to focus on the big, terrible terrible picture.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 Guest_Mike Mac from NYU_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:11 AM

For the record, I have never complained about Portman's her-and-there accent, just as i never complained about Costner's in ROBIN HOOD. When you're dealing with such bad movies, what's the point? It's best just to focus on the big, terrible terrible picture

With you on that one, brother!! smile.gif Robin Hood was exactly what I was thinking about in TPM and ANH.

in ANH, I guess Lucas originally wanted her to sound British, but Fisher 's accent faltered and it just becme easier to drop it altogether. Lucas couldn't afford to redo those "British" senes so he just left them as is.

In TPM, Lucas was trying to make a difference between Amidala and Padme. The difference her is that Portman was consistent, in her Amidala role she ALWAYS spoke in the English accent. In the Padme, role she dropped it because she was playing a different character.

Tha

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size