Chefelf.com Night Life: Ancient toothbrush unearthed in Germany - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Ancient toothbrush unearthed in Germany Tuesday, November 18, 2003

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:13 PM

Ancient toothbrush unearthed in Germany
Tuesday, November 18, 2003 Posted: 10:20 AM EST (1520 GMT)

BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- German archaeologists have unearthed what could be Europe's oldest toothbrush, officials said Tuesday.

The brush, dug up at the site of a former hospital in the western city of Minden, is at least 250 years old, said the Landscape Association of Westfalen-Lippe, which oversees the excavation.

While the bristles have rotted away, the brush's 4 inch (10 centimeter) handle of animal bone is carved at the other end into a tiny spoon believed to be used for cleaning out the owner's ears.

http://www.cnn.com/2...h.ap/index.html

This sounded like it would be really interesting until I figured out that their definition of "ancient" and mine are vastly different.

Also I don't want to hear about the spoon for cleaning out the owner's ears. That's kinda gross.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Bananer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 November 2003 - 05:16 PM

Interesting...

I have always wondered what scientist will think of our society 250 years from now...

#3 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 November 2003 - 06:24 PM

By that definition, the USA is ancient.

#4 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2003 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Nov 18 2003, 06:24 PM)
By that definition, the USA is ancient.

It's true!

We learnt about George Washington in Ancient History at school.

Of course I have questioned the credibility of my teacher's credentials to actually teach the subject given they were trained as a Agriculture teacher while having no formal training in Ancient History...
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#5 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 18 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

I want to know why they stopped making those ear-spoon toothbrush's 250 years ago. I mean, I don't see any reason against it.

Though come to think of it, I'll bet it was the Q-tip corporation that halted thier production. Probably using slogans like, "Never have to clean your ear-spoon again!" or "Are you tired of irritating scrapes marks on the inside of your ears? Want something a little more comfortable and a lot more convenient?"

#6 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 19 November 2003 - 11:29 AM

You know, when I was a lass, I had a book put out by the Ontario Science Center (Or was it the Royal Ontario Museum? One of them, anyhow) that posed the very same question: What will people think of our civilazation in a thousand years? To illustrate, they had a cartoon rendering of people of many genders, ages and races in space helmets, holding a toilet seat (or a video game controller, or a refrigerator, or an umbrella) upside down and regarding it with a look of comic befuddlement. It was preceded by an article on artifacts that archeologists used to reconstruct ancient life -- including toothbrushes, pillows, and the like-- but real ancient artifacts. From ages that were named after elements, not mecahnical functions.

Man, I loved that book.

#7 Guest_platinum_child_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 November 2003 - 11:37 AM

I would like to know how they were so sure this was a toothbrush or an ear scooping spoon. without its "rotted" bristles. I think this is a part of a larger consipiracy headed by dentists and earists to use historical "facts" to show that both tooth brushing and ear scooping are forever linked in an "ancient" tradition that should and will be popular again.

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

You know, when I was a lass, I had a book put out by the Ontario Science Center (Or was it the Royal Ontario Museum? One of them, anyhow) that posed the very same question: What will people think of our civilazation in a thousand years? To illustrate, they had a cartoon rendering of people of many genders, ages and races in space helmets, holding a toilet seat (or a video game controller, or a refrigerator, or an umbrella) upside down and regarding it with a look of comic befuddlement. It was preceded by an article on artifacts that archeologists used to reconstruct ancient life -- including toothbrushes, pillows, and the like-- but real ancient artifacts. From ages that were named after elements, not mecahnical functions.

Man, I loved that book.

That sounds like a pretty bitchin' book!

I would like to know how they were so sure this was a toothbrush or an ear scooping spoon. without its "rotted" bristles. I think this is a part of a larger consipiracy headed by dentists and earists to use historical "facts" to show that both tooth brushing and ear scooping are forever linked in an "ancient" tradition that should and will be popular again.

That was my question exactly How do they know it wasn't just a stick?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#9 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 November 2003 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Nov 19 2003, 03:09 PM)
That was my question exactly How do they know it wasn't just a stick?

Well, this is only 250 years ago. Probably we have some record of events. Maybe they found something in Pepys's diary (which is older than that): "Found myself today without toothbrush-ear scoop, so used fingers for the task. Will order new scoop-thingy from Amazon. Previous night came home tired and urinated in the fireplace as I couldn't be bothered going out to the usual offices..." and such like.

Mike.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#10 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:31 AM

Aw...I was hoping there'd be a picture of the toothbrush.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size