#46 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 10 2007, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DOES WANT TO BECOME A BETTER POSTER.

Then do what the mod says!!! I think he was sort of clear on it!

#47 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Aug 10 2007, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With overposting I'll get use to it but I don't see it as a big problem compared to the people across the road who swear and threaten violence most of the time. If it was the opposite way round I wouldn't be here.

Deepsycher, thanks for your support. blush.gif

Dave, I want tips. Already, I've begun posting less (though I've relapsed a bit as of late), and I'd like to find ways to beef up the content in my posts. dry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#48 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 10 2007, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dave, I want tips. Already, I've begun posting less (though I've relapsed a bit as of late), and I'd like to find ways to beef up the content in my posts. dry.gif

You've been given plenty of tips, you just seem to ignore them, and that's what is pissing people off. Or if my theory stands, then you're just trying to be a cunning kid making the other forumers believe that a human being can possibly be this clueless.

#49 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

I'm kind of socially inept, so I don't think I communicate well in any medium. sad.gif

Could you just lay out a set of guidelines I can follow, and we'll see from there? blush.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#50 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

http://www.chefelf.c...?showtopic=2344

There's your guidelines. See specifically: Flooding:

Flooding
Flooding may be regarded as spamming. While you may feel it is okay to post a new topic about Ian McDiarmid every minute, on the minute, for twenty minutes straight, it may be regarded as an abuse on the forums.

#51 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

All right, I'll take a break.
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#52 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

1. Set yourself a specific time (i.e., 3 pm) or a specific number of times (i.e. 5 times per day, spread out evenly, TOPS) to come to the forum website.
2. Read the posts you are interested in.
3. DO NOT REPLY TO EVERY POST. Just DON'T. This isn't a conversation. In real-life conversations, one usually responds to everything so that the other person knows that you listened to what they said. This is different. Only respond when you have something worthwhile to contribute.
Example:
Person X: "Does anyone know anything about Kia Rios? I'm looking into getting a new car, and there's this deal at the dealership, that they're only $8,999. Anyone know if it's worth it?"
Person Y (bad response): "Nope, don't know anything! Haha! biggrin.gif tongue.gif happy.gif lawls"
Person Z (good response): "My brother got a Kia four years ago, and he hasn't had a problem yet. They come with a ten year warranty, which is pretty good. They don't have a lot of power though, so don't expect to be drag racing it or anything."
If you have no idea what someone is talking about, don't post! Think to yourself, "Hmm, I know nothing about cars; I should probably let someone else handle this" and move on. If you can't contribute in some way, don't post.
4. After you've responded to about 0-10 posts that you actually had something to contribute to, leave the forums. Don't bother to say good-bye; we don't really care whether you're here or not. The point of a forum isn't to all be on at the same time; it's to share ideas and information without having to be on at the same time. Get out of the forums and find something else to do.
5. DO NOT under any circumstances check back every 2 seconds to see if someone has responded to your post, so that you can respond yet again. Like mentioned above, this is not a conversation. If that's what you want, go find a chatroom or a messenger program and do the thingy where you can find screen names of people who will talk to random strangers (on AIM it's the "Buddy Wizard"). When your set time to check the forums rolls around (see step 1), then you can check to see if someone has responded to what you wrote. Respond ONLY if you have something further to contribute. Thanking someone for their help is fine, but don't respond just to respond.
6. GOOD POSTS:
Posts that contribute: ideas, questions, answers to others' questions, on-topic comments, something humourous, criticisms of whatever book/movie/whatever the thread is about, an observation you had about such-and-so that would actually entertain people (nothing duh like "I just noticed today that clouds are puffy" - however, in certain threads [most notably the PRT thread] something like "I saw a cloud today perfectly in the shape of Pikachu eating a slice of pizza while standing on the back of a tiny elephant that was being slung aorund in a circle by a worker ant!" would be okay, as it's out of the ordinary and may provide something more than an eye roll from a reader), etc.
Other okay posts: Notes of congratulations (but only when the congrats are TRULY in order: no "congrats on brushing your teeth today!" or anything), notes of thanks when someone has truly helped you, happy birthdays (but only in the designated thread!).

BAD POSTS:
Posts that contain nothing but smileys. Posts that merely are acknowledging that you read the previous post. Posts that are wondering why more people aren't posting. Posts that annouce your leaving or return (unless it's for an extended period of time - this being more than a few days). Posts that have nothing to contribute and are just cluttering the board. Posts that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Posts that are against the forum rules (see http://www.chefelf.c...showtopic=2344).

Anyone else have anything to add?
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#53 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

Nah we got it. Thanks, Spoon. There were actually some very helpful suggestions. If I weren't such a sourpuss right now, I may've taken the time to come up with some of those on my own. biggrin.gif

#54 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

Ho. Lee. Crap. ohmy.gif

I'll try to copy that all down.
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#55 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

Being a sourpuss myself right now is what prompted me to take the time to actually write that. I had to edit myself several times... pinch.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#56 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Aug 10 2007, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else have anything to add?

Do not pass GO.
Do not collect $200.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#57 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

Do not want... ohmy.gif

Okay, this thread has served its purpose; let it close. sleep.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#58 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

Yeah good call. I was popping in to do just that.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked