New Video Game For Slade's Civil War Project

#16 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yes, let's all get back on topic. I will say it again:

For example, imagine if Lee had taken Longstreet's advice during Gettysburg. Hmmm... unsure.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#17 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Jul 31 2007, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyhow, your article is written by a right wing militarist,

As opposed to a left wing militarist?

and has nothing to do with anything. And it also misses the point of war crimes entirely, and claims that stacking people in naked human pyramids saved lives.

He was quoting "A Few Good Men".

I think it's safe to say that the author was a dipshit for writing it,

Yes. Anyone who goes against your opinion is a dipshit. You are very narrow-minded.

and you're a dipshit for politicizing a thread about something silly me and Slade posted.

Politicizing? How am I politicizing this thread?

QUOTE (Bond @ Jul 31 2007, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, let's all get back on topic. I will say it again:

For example, imagine if Lee had taken Longstreet's advice during Gettysburg. Hmmm... unsure.gif

No battle’s outcome can be predicted. We have the benefit of knowing how it ended; Lee and other Generals in the past didn’t.

This post has been edited by Cobnat: 31 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

#18 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hey, let's not get overexcited, here... sad.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#19 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

Bond - I'm not entirely sure it would have helped. The South could only have won if they'd kept up a defensive war, and winning by defense against an enemy with unending supplies of troops is iffy. Lee needed to take that ridge because Union reinforcements were coming in, so he'd still have been in trouble either way, though admittedly not as much.

Cobnat- I apologize, I'll never accuse you of Pollicizing a thread again.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 31 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#20 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

You know, I read somewhere of an alternate timeline, in which, if the Confederates had not left behind copies of Executive Order-191 shortly before Antietam, they could have crushed McClellan's troops, forced their way into Washington, and ended the Civil War with a decisive Southern victory. Very interesting speculation, acually... wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#21 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

Again, I'm sorry for acting so rashly. I've obtained a photo of the real culprit Pollicizing the thread. All I know is that his first name is Jackson.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 31 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#22 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Jul 31 2007, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I read somewhere of an alternate timeline, in which, if the Confederates had not left behind copies of Executive Order-191 shortly before Antietam, they could have crushed McClellan's troops, forced their way into Washington, and ended the Civil War with a decisive Southern victory. Very interesting speculation, acually... wink.gif

What makes you think the North would have stopped fighting if Washington had capitulated?

#23 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

Bond - They could have done pretty much the same at Chancellorsville, since they had the Union army all but surrounded.

#24 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:41 PM

All right, I'll provide a link:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Timeline-191

There you go. smile.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#25 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

There were numerous turning points in the Civil War. When Grant took Kentucky, if he hadn't botched things up at Shiloh he could have pressed on faster. If McLellan actually did any sort of offensive maneuver at all instead of ridiculously overestimating the Confederate forces nearby and bitching about more troops, the South could have been slowed much earlier because when he did things, he was pretty good at it. If Lincoln had allowed military emancipation and the formation of black regiments earlier in the war instead of pandering to the still quite racist North and Unionist Southern border states, maybe the troop and intelligence boost could have averted some of the bloody battles. Or maybe it would have shifted public opinion to the point where the North refused to fight for the enslaved blacks. There are zillions of different scenarios that could have played out. This is one of my favorites:

Everyone but Lee knew that Pickett's charge was going to be a disaster. The general under Lee only gave the order to Pickett because he felt it would be worse if they didn't line up thousands of troops to be slaughtered as they marched through the open, elbow to elbow, up an embankment, and attempted to assault a ridge covered by a high stone wall (i.e. if they turned away).

Cobnuts: I'd like to call you on your hypocracy, but JM's signature does it just fine at the moment.

To address the barage of points made, no, I'm not in the armed services. I thought it was being plain that I was being very sarcastic. I read the entire article, and for the most part it's pretty funny as bizarre satire, and I don't take any of it personally. Cobnuts, the bit you quoted obviously refers to Abu'Grab (SP?), and taken out of context the way you did made it sound like you are endorsing torture. And kindly fuck off instead of insulting me next time. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Slade: 31 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#26 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

Oh, all right. Thank heavens you were just being sarcastic, then. smile.gif

Also, did you click the link and read it over? If so, what did you think of it? blush.gif

This post has been edited by Bond: 31 July 2007 - 11:47 PM

IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#27 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Jul 31 2007, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cobnuts: I'd like to call you on your hypocracy, but JM's signature does it just fine at the moment.

To address the barage of points made, no, I'm not in the armed services. I thought it was being plain that I was being very sarcastic. I read the entire article, and for the most part it's pretty funny as bizarre satire, and I don't take any of it personally. Cobnuts, the bit you quoted obviously refers to Abu'Grab (SP?), and taken out of context the way you did made it sound like you are endorsing torture. And kindly fuck off instead of insulting me next time. smile.gif

QUOTE (Slade @ Jul 31 2007, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, Cobnuts. Completely miss the point and try to justify torture. Damn us whiny hippies not wanting people to kill and torture and maim one another.

OK. So you insult me and then you accuse me of justifying torture. After which you use sarcasm to make is seem like I endorse people killing, torturing and maiming one another.

P.S. I never meant to make it seem like I was endorsing torture. That quote made me laugh the most and that is the reason why it is my favourite bit.

P.P.S. You call me Cobnuts, I call you retard… Although it might be an insult to people who suffer from retardation so I will just call you Jackass.

This post has been edited by Cobnat: 01 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

#28 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

Actually, in complete honesty, I wasn't trying to insult you with that nickname, I just think it's very silly. I dropped the "The" in front because it doesn't flow as well like that. I meant it in the way I'd occasionally call Gobbler "Everlasting Gobblerstopper" and the way people used to call Voodoo Dog "VD", or the way I call SimeSublime "Simewise". I can see how it could be interpreted as an insult, though. If I called you the full "The Cobnuts", would you still consider it an insult? If so, I'll stop.

Your comment was taken out of context, and it just looked like you were excusing torture. You've come pretty close before in other threads, so it's not much of a stretch to seeing you say something like that, even just trolling, but I'll formally acknowledge that that wasn't your intent, given the full context of the article you were quoting.

There was also some text that didn't make it on the box: "Play as Jeb Stuart and spend so much time skirmishing with Union forces that you not only capture supplies of little value, but you force your commanding officers to try to guess where the enemy is instead of relying on the intelligence you were meant to gather!"

"Play as General Ewell and drink a glass of boiled wheat in milk every half hour in order to stave off your mysterious illness long enough to give poor commands to your officers at crucial moments!"

"Play as General Burnsides and grow a haircut so awful that it gains its own name and ensures a legacy of ridicule that will follow for generations."

"Play as General Sherman and raze every village and town from Missouri to the pacific Atlantic ocean, ensuring generations of bitter hatred and difficulty in reconstructing the deep South!"

Edit: I failed at typing Atlantic the first time through.

This post has been edited by Slade: 01 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#29 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Aug 1 2007, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, in complete honesty, I wasn't trying to insult you with that nickname, I just think it's very silly. I dropped the "The" in front because it doesn't flow as well like that. I meant it in the way I'd occasionally call Gobbler "Everlasting Gobblerstopper" and the way people used to call Voodoo Dog "VD", or the way I call SimeSublime "Simewise". I can see how it could be interpreted as an insult, though. If I called you the full "The Cobnuts", would you still consider it an insult? If so, I'll stop.

Your comment was taken out of context, and it just looked like you were excusing torture. You've come pretty close before in other threads, so it's not much of a stretch to seeing you say something like that, even just trolling, but I'll formally acknowledge that that wasn't your intent, given the full context of the article you were quoting.

Oh... you should have said so, you can call me The Cobnuts if you wish. I just thought you were using it as a way to insult me.

mellow.gif

And here I was preparing to fight to the end. Well forgive and forget as I always say.

#30 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Aug 1 2007, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Play as Jeb Stuart and spend so much time skirmishing with Union forces that you not only capture supplies of little value, but also you force your commanding officers to try to guess where the enemy is instead of relying on the intelligence you were meant to gather!"

"Play as General Ewell and drink a glass of boiled wheat in milk every half hour in order to stave off your mysterious illness long enough to give poor commands to your officers at crucial moments!"

"Play as General Burnsides and grow a haircut so awful that it gains its own name and ensures a legacy of ridicule that will follow for generations."

"Play as General Sherman and raze every village and town from Missouri to the Pacific Ocean, ensuring generations of bitter hatred and difficulty in reconstructing the Deep South!"

laugh.gif

Oh, my God. I'm a history buff, myself, but what you just said is uproarious. laugh.gif

I pat you on the back, sir, for being a genius. biggrin.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size