Chefelf.com Night Life: Harry Potter OTP - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Harry Potter OTP Couldnt find a thread, sorry if I missed it...

#16 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

Well, HBP really helped tie it to the rest of the series. But why do you hate it so much? sad.gif

This post has been edited by Bond: 23 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#17 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

Well, Lord Aquaman...
QUOTE (Lord Aquaman)
COS was a crappy book, easily the worst of the series, and by extension a crappy film, not helped by the fact that Chris Columbus can't direct fantasy to save his life, nor can Steve Kloves write a half-way screenplay.

Shows what I know about Harry Potter, COS was my favorite. However, I don't doubt your judgment, as I'm not a fan of Harry Potter.

EDIT: Fail. Added content.

This post has been edited by TheOrator: 23 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#18 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

Well, what? blink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#19 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

I agree with civ2 on this one (what else is new?).

OotP has to be the hardest book to convert to film. If memory serves it's the longest book and even though it's not technically in the middle it's the most middle-like of the books At least HBP begins the climax whereas OotP just kinda introduces the idea of a climax.

I think as with GoF they have had to be very selective about what they pick and choose to be in the movies and so far they've done a really good job.

The first hour of OotP made me remember how depressing the beginning of that book really was. Sadly it was more uplifting at the end when people started dying. smile.gif

As for the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort, I was considering writing an article about it but that's what I imagined a battle between Yoda and Palpatine should have been. It was great to see these great wizards fighting in a somewhat slow and deliberate way, more like a wizard wrestling match than a Jedi acrobatics show off.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#20 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jul 30 2007, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort, I was considering writing an article about it but that's what I imagined a battle between Yoda and Palpatine should have been. It was great to see these great wizards fighting in a somewhat slow and deliberate way, more like a wizard wrestling match than a Jedi acrobatics show off.

You know what's funny about that? They had a dance instructor come in and teach them different moves to go with each spell and hex. So, in a way, it was sort of an acrobatics-off. happy.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#21 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

There's a scene in BRAZIL where a bunch of guys walk down the hall of an office together taking orders from their boss as he moves from one place to another. In order that their movements would be smooth and therefore more comical in effect, director Terry Gilliam hired a dance choreographer to help block the scene. If you watch it, you'd never call it a dance number. In like fashion, I would NOT call the final duel in OotP a dance-off. It's just well-choreographed. You might as well call Aragorn's fighting at the end of FotR a dance sequence (I don't). So while I figure you're just being facetious, Bond, I thought I should say nay nay.

I agree with everything Chef says about agreeing with me, and also about how the fight scenes in the STAR WARS prequels sucked. I only saw TPM, and that much-lauded fight sucked; I assume the others sucked as well, although by all reports they sucked a lot more.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#22 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 31 2007, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with everything Chef says about agreeing with me, and also about how the fight scenes in the STAR WARS prequels sucked. I only saw TPM, and that much-lauded fight sucked; I assume the others sucked as well, although by all reports they sucked a lot more.

Actually, they had a choreographer for every one. wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#23 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Bond @ Jul 19 2007, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you like the other four films?

I recently watched them again, and have this to say.

Meh, they were alright.

I guess the thrill is gone.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 25 November 2007 - 08:08 AM

#24 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

I think Ginny Weasely is cute. I wish she were my step-daughter, you know what I'm saying?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#25 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

I enjoyed Order of the Pheonix if for no other reason than that it was fun to have a villain independent of Voldemort. The ending was pretty impressive as was the entire Ministry of Magic sequence.

You HAVE to choreograph all of these things so that one guy knows to block when the other guy swings, or else your set will be littered with dead guys. The point is what happened in the prequels looked more like dancing, needlessly fast show offy dancing. The dueling in OTP, and in much of the HP series, seems to be more slow paced and more about actually fighting than just looking cool.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#26 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:09 AM

Just watched it again recently. Is anyone going to debate that the best scene was the ten or twenty second exchange between Snape and Umbridge?

"Obviously..."

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size