Chefelf.com Night Life: Girl Drops Guts At Local Pool - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Girl Drops Guts At Local Pool July 5, 2007

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

Pool drain rips out part of girl’s intestinal tract
6-year-old, who was sitting on top of hole, is in intensive care

MINNEAPOLIS - A 6-year-old girl who sat on an open drain in a wading pool lost part of her intestinal tract to the drain’s powerful suction, her family said.

Abigail Taylor was injured in the wading pool on June 29, according to her family.

Her father, Scott Taylor, said the suction caused a 2-inch tear in Abigail’s rectum and pulled out much of her small intestine. Doctors had to remove the part of her intestines that remained, according to the family’s lawyer, Bob Bennett.

Abigail remained in intensive care at Children’s Hospital on Thursday and appeared to be improving, Bennett said.

She was to undergo surgery on Friday, Bennett said. “She’ll receive her nutrition through a port for the rest of her life,” he said.

Bennett said the swimming pool’s drain hole was improperly uncovered. However, the general manager of the club where the pool is located said he didn’t think anything was wrong with the pool. He referred questions to the attorney for the club’s insurance company, who declined to comment.

Several states have passed pool-safety laws after children drowned or were disemboweled by drain suction. North Carolina, for instance, requires pools to have dual drains to diffuse the force of the suction and prevent children from being trapped.

link

Thanks to jm HOfmarn

Well... that sucks.

TITLE NOTE: 'To drop one's guts' as it were, is an Australian euphamism for breaking wind. It was the least offensive and insesensative title I was able to concoct.

This post has been edited by barend: 09 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

#2 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

wow, it's like that Chuck Palahniuk story. I am a combination of grossed-out that that can actually happen, and sad that the girl has suffered permanent damage.
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:30 AM

What made me really notice the story was the comments by the pool's manager. You have to have a lot of guts when, after your pool disembowls a six year old, you come out and tell people its working just fine.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Emu: That is exactly what I thought, along with how horrible a thing it is to happen to someone. sad.gif My deepest sympathies go out to that poor little girl. And yeah, the pool's manager is a real scumbag. What's his excuse? It was a freak accident that only happens once in a pool's lifetime that requires very very specific conditions? *rolls eyes* This sort of thing has happened before, as evidenced by those laws noted in the article.

It's also clear proof that the end of the world is coming soon. There's something SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP when large elements of a Chuck Palahniuk story come true.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#5 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

"He probably means it only happens once to each victim's lifetime."

Only one drain? The last swimming pools I remember going to had many drains that were small and large in size.

Maybe they only have one drain for cheapness at the cost of eating away at vulnerable intestines. The pool manager didn't think anything was wrong with the pool? How does he not know? The drain cover obviously now speaking. Was he too lazy to put it in correctly? Was it not "cost effective" or economical to have a safety cover? He should go in for a repeat on himself.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 10 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Jul 10 2007, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What made me really notice the story was the comments by the pool's manager. You have to have a lot of guts when, after your pool disembowls a six year old, you come out and tell people its working just fine.

Why? It's not his fault. I saw stories on the news about this sort of thing over a decade ago. If, after ten years, people still aren't smart enough to figure out that sitting on a powerful suction device is bad, and that they should tell their children not to do it, then how is that the pool manager's fault?
My question is why weren't her parents watching her closer? And if they were watching her closely already, why did they not see this as being a bad idea?

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 11 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

#7 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Jul 10 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only one drain? The last swimming pools I remember going to had many drains that were small and large in size.

It does state it was a wading pool (possibly a 'kiddy pool' type) which may be a smaller pool, and only have one filter drain. If that 's the case I'm surprised it had a filtering line in the first place. Regardless, bottom mounted drains are sort of archaic. I've prefered the top skimming types with outlets near the bottom. These reduce the amount of crap floating on your pool and distribute chlorine more efficiently, whether from the filter canisters or when powder shocking.

I also remember that story. Geeze. This has been documented enough times, these types of pool drainage systems really shouldn't be used, especially with children involved. Normally, I'm a natural selection kinda guy, but that's cruddy way to go. Plus I don't like the system for technical reasons. There's a couple of ways to fix this. Most cost effective would be a cage over teh drain to keep a vaccuum from forming. More expensively you couldinset your drain behind an oversize grate (which will also collect sediment). It sounds like the pool owners are cheapskates to me. And this is what happens. *shrug* See 'em in court.

I should also reply to Hecc. Yes, slight oversight on the parents fault, but I also partially blame teh owner. He seems so ignorant about his equipment and cheap. I could see this being difficult to parent. I mean, you see a child sitting on the bottom of a pool, until they start thrashing from lack of intestines, I doubt you'd know anything is wrong, and god I could only imagine the horrors of parents telling their kids not to do this. It would be pandemic.

This post has been edited by reiner: 11 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Jul 11 2007, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why? It's not his fault. I saw stories on the news about this sort of thing over a decade ago. If, after ten years, people still aren't smart enough to figure out that sitting on a powerful suction device is bad, and that they should tell their children not to do it, then how is that the pool manager's fault?
My question is why weren't her parents watching her closer? And if they were watching her closely already, why did they not see this as being a bad idea?

I don't know man, the kid probably didn't even notice the drain until she got bubbahotepped.

I think it's a tad questionable to have such a destructive force in a kiddie pool. I belive that's the reason we don't have corn harvesters in sandboxes.

This isn't like all the little dumb fucks who run into lion cages at the zoo. This was a little girl sitting don in the shallow end of a pool. Hardly a dangerous activity to the mind of any.

#9 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

(*shudder*)

I remember hearing about these kinds of things when I was little, and it always scared the living hell out of me. Especially since it was at a time when I still spent a good chunk of every spring and summer at public pools. Thing is, I could never tell the Scary Sucking Death Drains from the harmless ones, so I got a bit nervous about every drain or strange hole in a pool (except those holes that sprayed hard jets of water from the middle of the walls...those were fun). If a pool has a drainage system that can injure somebody, it should be strict policy to post warning signs and inform visitors of the dangers, just like they would with something like wet pavement, shallow water, or diving board safety. (That, and show them what the damn drain looks like! Kids are curious - if they can't get a straight answer from an adult, they're going to try to find out for themselves, and that does not always end well.) Then, have the drains regularly checked by a trained employee or matainance worker every day. Otherwise, they should be held fully liable for any accident that occurs.

This wasn't the girl or her parents' fault, it was incompetence and neglect on the manager's part. You can't just shrug off public safety with, "It seemed all right to me."

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 12 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#10 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

Pool drains have ALWAYS freaked me out. Ever since I was eight and I watched Goolies. They still freak me out to this day… so much so that I cant swim in a pool unless someone else is in it too. I know its silly, put that’s post-traumatic stress for ya.

#11 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jul 11 2007, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know man, the kid probably didn't even notice the drain until she got bubbahotepped.

I think it's a tad questionable to have such a destructive force in a kiddie pool. I belive that's the reason we don't have corn harvesters in sandboxes.

This isn't like all the little dumb fucks who run into lion cages at the zoo. This was a little girl sitting don in the shallow end of a pool. Hardly a dangerous activity to the mind of any.

Fair enough.
Also, that is the best possible adjective to describe what happened. biggrin.gif

#12 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:31 AM

You know, when I was down in Virginia last year, there was a news story about a girl who was scalped by a swimming pool drain. Terrible accident. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Bond: 14 July 2007 - 01:32 AM

IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#13 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:30 AM

Why? It's not his fault.

Even if the girl was somehow completely at fault, this guy has to recognize that his pool ate a little girl's intestines. If it was my pool I'd at the very least shut it down until a fuckton of changes were made, and at the most put a bullet through my head because my pools design was responsible for this. It strikes me as a tad greedy and insensitive to say your pools working fine after an incident like this. Could he not at least have said he would check the thing out, or if he was too greedy to scare off customers by admitting that his pool might have had something to do with the girl not having any intestines, he could have at least said that infront of her family so they could give him a well deserved face breaking.

Whether its his fault or not is inconsequential, cuz he's still an asshole for saying that. And I dont go for blaming the parents either. Watch the news any night and you'll see what parents deal with. Killer waterfountains, kidnappers, poisoned food, things that want to lodge themselves in your childs airpipe, etc. Do you think any parent, after a day of that, wants to take their child to a pool and have to watch them to make sure they dont get evicerated? Thats asking a bit too much. And what are they supposed to say, anyhow? "don't sit down or you'll FUCKING DIE"? Yeah, I cant wait to go to the pool.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 14 July 2007 - 03:50 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#14 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Jul 14 2007, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether its his fault or not is inconsequential, cuz he's still an asshole for saying that. And I dont go for blaming the parents either. Watch the news any night and you'll see what parents deal with. Killer waterfountains, kidnappers, poisoned food, things that want to lodge themselves in your childs airpipe, etc. Do you think any parent, after a day of that, wants to take their child to a pool and have to watch them to make sure they dont get evicerated? Thats asking a bit too much. And what are they supposed to say, anyhow? "don't sit down or you'll FUCKING DIE"? Yeah, I cant wait to go to the pool.

Blah blah. It's simple:

"See the drain in the bottom of the pool. Be careful around that, because it's very strong, and it could hurt you."

How hard is that?

#15 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

So you're intoning that its basically ok to have a land mine at the bottom of a children's wading pool. There are some dangers you cant do anything about, like traffic, etc. But its pretty clear that pool owners could take steps to prevent this from happening. It's an unnecessary danger.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size