David Hicks Or, "Why Australia should ditch Howard and bomb DC"

#46 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 3 2007, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All this about America torturing people of other nations: I suppose this can be expected, seeing as their record is against them.

Heck, back in the Revolution, they were breaking into tax collectors' homes, hauling them out into the street, tarring and feathering them en masse and then lighting them on fire! Hell, forget the Tea Party; a group of patriots in Rhode Island took the next step (a year earlier, I might add) and lit an entire fucking tax ship on fire!

The point of the story is: America has always been bat-fuck insane, and it probably always will be. sad.gif

The British aren’t exactly saints either… especially during the war of independence.

#47 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

Well, what did the Brits do that was so shocking? huh.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#48 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 4 2007, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, what did the Brits do that was so shocking? huh.gif

There were a lot of executions of males suspecting to be a revolutionairy. There was also that famous massacre in that town… I forget which town it was but it became one of the causes for the war.

#49 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

I think you were confused by The Patriot. tongue.gif

As for all the executing, there were a lot of spies in the British camps, and, of course, those executed were eventually glorified (Nathan Hale being one of them) and turned into martyrs by the patriots. Sound familiar? mellow.gif

This post has been edited by Bond: 04 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#50 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:38 PM

The boston massacre was, I think, five people killed for throwing rocks at British soldiers. The execution of suspected spies was pretty standard. I'm just glad the British took the new world with the whole deal over the Armada. If Spain had run things it would have been far worse.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#51 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

How so? Would it have been the Spanish Inquisition in the New World? blink.gif

Ah, now I remember: the conquistadors. Yeeesh... sick.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#52 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 4 2007, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for all the executing, there were a lot of spies in the British camps, and, of course, those executed were eventually glorified (Nathan Hale being one of them) and turned into martyrs by the patriots. Sound familiar? mellow.gif

Yes, I am sure the Americans and the British executed plenty of spies while the war raged. Keep in mind that almost anyone can be considered a spy.

#53 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

Just like almost anyone killed in any war can be declared by their side as a martyr. angry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#54 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

David Hicks has finally been released, and I just want to restate my position that anyone involved in his capture, torture, or forcing a confession from him should be hung from a fucking lamp post and left as an example. Cmon, there are Aussies on the forums too, somehow we can get a multi continental lynch mob going right?

The news story I read stated he was a convicted Al Qaida operative who had confessed after five years in Guantanamo. Of course it failed to say why he confessed except to mention "alleged abuse" And get this, if he says anything about what was done to him, or claims his innocence, he gets sent right back to Guantanamo as per his plea deal. This is some Orwellian bullshit people, and I hope I'm not the only one who feels that torturing someone until they confess to whatever you want AND agree not to say you tortured them, is a tactic even Machiavelli never dreamed of that aught to mean an instant death sentence to anyone involved in the matter.

Hicks has the benefit of having a large US allie to vouch for him, but I shudder to think how many others have been subjected to the same condition with no hope of escape, or, better yet, vengeance. (although some have tried to kill their captors at Guantanamo and I applaud the comraddes' efforts)

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 28 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#55 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:42 PM

The guy is a traitor who betrayed his country in order to fight for religious fascists. Forgive the Australian people if we don’t give a fuck what happened to him. He is being realised into the general population, that is more then he deserves.
Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#56 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

Ah so some people over there are happy to allow the US to strip their countrymen of rights and kidnap them, then torture them into confessing to various and sundry crimes. I was under the impression that Australia has a law enforcement agency and a standing army, not to mention people who understand the basic tenets of human rights, but yeah, maybe its better that the US just decides which Australians are good people and which ones deserve to have light bulbs shoved up their arses til they admit to being terrorists.

#57 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

The Boston Massacre wasn't really a massacre. It was an accident which, I suspect, the people who were shot quite literally brought upon themselves. After all, consider the facts.

1) People are throwing stones at soldiers
2) People are taunting soldiers
3) Soldiers are jumpy
4) Soldiers heard the word fire.

This would come off as the soldiers being pretty masscrous* except for the taunting. Which, most likely, included the word "Fire!"

For a better summary of what the situation was like, the best thing I can recommend is an episode of the new series of Battlestar Galactica. The one which introduces the Cylon who later gets deactivated. At the time, she's a reporter.

That's what the Boston Massacre was like, not the woodcut we've all seen.

*That's a word now
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#58 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Dec 29 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah so some people over there are happy to allow the US to strip their countrymen of rights and kidnap them, then torture them into confessing to various and sundry crimes. I was under the impression that Australia has a law enforcement agency and a standing army, not to mention people who understand the basic tenets of human rights, but yeah, maybe its better that the US just decides which Australians are good people and which ones deserve to have light bulbs shoved up their arses til they admit to being terrorists.

He fought in a foreign army. This is not a tourist that gets detained by the Americans for no reason. Had he been a tourist then all Australians would be outraged and we would be singing for American blood in the streets but the simple fact is that he is a traitor who decided he wanted to support a bunch of religious fascists so they could destroy all known civilization in Afghanistan.

This post has been edited by Snake Logan: 29 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#59 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

Regardless, it wasn't America's place to prosecute. He should have been held to trial in either Afghanistan or Australia. Not by American courts, and time in American prisons should have been minimal.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#60 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:30 AM

He fought in a foreign army.

He was detained without charge for five years and tortured before he admitted to fighting in a foreign army. Regardless of whether he was with the taliban or not he didnt deserve that. And the fact is that since the US seriously coerced his confession, there can never be any certainty as to whether he was guilty or not. Hell, some Jews might have actually been plottign against Spain during the inquisition too, but because they were tortured into confessing history regards them as the victims, and rightfully so. I think a sensible Australian court could have satisfactorily determined if he was guilty or innocent, and their ruling would have been more universally accepted.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size