Chefelf.com Night Life: I've Learned To Accept The Prequels Finally.... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

I've Learned To Accept The Prequels Finally....

#1 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

I've managed to accept the prequel trilogy for what it is finally if you imagine that George Lucas, genius himself, wrotethem while sitting on the can (toilet). This e plains the rushed tone that leads nowhere and interrupted ideas not fleshed out, like an elected 14 year old Queen and little Force thingies in one's blood that don't have much to plot-wise later on. Sorry. I doubted you, George....

Try it, it works for nearly every silly scene....

#2 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

Get enough beer, some friends and think of it as just another action movie with spliffy but ill implemented effects. Helps too.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#3 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hmmm... I still refuse to accept this trash simply because the back story in the OT books implies much different circumstances.

#4 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

It's more likely than you think.

Lawrence Kasdan (See "Secret History of Star Wars") said he was asked by Lucas if he'd like to write the script. Kasdan said (paraphrased) "WTF? Aren't you about to start shooting?"

In the "Making of" videos on the DVD there are scenes where the staff are waiting for the script and Lucas finally turns up and says "Well I've finally done it, but I've got to warn you most of it says 'They fight'" He said it in the tone of a kid who has done his homework but knows its crap.

So yeah, more likely that you think. A rush job. And he was going to make money off them regardless. Not exactly a good motive to do quality work.

#5 User is offline   Hoth Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Lawrence Kasdan (See "Secret History of Star Wars") said he was asked by Lucas if he'd like to write the script. Kasdan said (paraphrased) "WTF? Aren't you about to start shooting?"

In the "Making of" videos on the DVD there are scenes where the staff are waiting for the script and Lucas finally turns up and says "Well I've finally done it, but I've got to warn you most of it says 'They fight'" He said it in the tone of a kid who has done his homework but knows its crap.

So yeah, more likely that you think. A rush job. And he was going to make money off them regardless. Not exactly a good motive to do quality work.

Absolutely none of this surprises me and is exactly the reason I will not accept the PT. I have always believed the biggest problem with the PT is in fact that it was an obvious "rush job" and that G.L. knew he would make money off of them regardless of how crappy they were, simply based off of the reputation and emotional connection of the fan-base to the OT. It is obvious that his only care was making the movie visually he wanted to make, and simply did not care about anything else...including the fan-base that made his movies the successful franchise that they are...in other words he basically flipped us the bird and made the movie HE wanted to make, NOT the movie the fans wanted to see. What an arrogant prick. This is why I refuse to support him financially anymore. I will watch the OT that I already possess, but will not fund Lucasfilms another freaking cent.

#6 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Hoth @ Jan 10 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...in other words he basically flipped us the bird and made the movie HE wanted to make, NOT the movie the fans wanted to see. What an arrogant prick.

Yes. How dare a filmmaker make a movie the way he wants. He should sell out.

---

George Lucas seems to have lost his artistic integrity long ago, but you can't possibly blame someone having some.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#7 User is offline   Hoth Icon

• New Cop

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

Yes. How dare a filmmaker make a movie the way he wants. He should sell out.

George Lucas seems to have lost his artistic integrity long ago, but you can't possibly blame someone having some.

Wow. I really have no idea how to respond to this, but let me try. When you are successful at something like making movies or cars or even clothes, you generally speaking shouldn't ignore what the "buying" public wants. In other words, you don't continue to stay successful by suddenly ignoring the people who made you successful to begin with, AND WHO BUY YOUR PRODUCT. If Toyota for example, suddenly started making vehicles without paying attention to what the buying public wanted, I guarantee you that no matter how reliable their vehicles were, the buying public would slowly start to migrate towards other manufacturers who listened to and cared about their wants/needs. That would be a little thing we call "career suicide". It could also be called "being disloyal to your fanbase/customers". Only in G.L.'s case, he knew that he could make anything he wanted with the label "Star Wars" on it and people would go and see it, hoping it was like the originals they remembered from their youth. In other words, he was knowingly stealing from an unawares public who were expecting to see the Star Wars of their youth, or at least something similar. If these movies had been produced without there ever being an original trilogy, do you think they would have even come close to making the money or producing the buzz that they did? Let me answer that question for you...HELL NO. Because they were simply horrible...even without the original trilogy to compare them too. They probably would have still made money because of the special effects, but Lucas added to his billions by producing crap and leading us to it like sheep to the slaughter. To try and say that a filmmaker should be able to make the movie he wants without caring about what the fans of his movies think, is ridiculous and if any other medium took this approach they would fail miserably. To say that a movie maker, particularly one of Lucas's status, has the right to do just that for "artistic integrity" is just ludicrous.

I am still trying to understand your "aritistic integrity" statement actually. You say he doesn't have any, then tell me I can't blame him for having some? Hmm...the only thing I will say about that is you don't have to lose "artistic integrity" to make something YOUR audience wants to appreciates...case in point...ORIGINAL TRILOGY

This post has been edited by Hoth: 11 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

#8 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hmmm, about this whole "artisitic integrity" concept, I wasn't aware that Lucas ever really had any. After reading so many chapters out of the Secret History of Star Wars, Lucas blatantly takes good concepts from mainly Japanese cinema and old serials and mashes them altogether. It really didn't take a genius to do it, just a number of people that really knew how to write an acceptable story for him (GL that is).

And Hoth answered quite nicely about GL able to sell anything so long as it had the famous Star Wars logo applied to it. Seriously, if Lucas had recorded a wookie taking a dump in the bushes, and slapped the SW logo on it, then by all means, that is Star Wars! GL did what he did simply because he could and he knew that old fans would pay to see anything called Star Wars.

Even Chefelf pointed out in EP III that something was beginning to look like the crap were given in the Holiday Special. I'm thinking that GL wasn't upset about the Holiday Special being crappy, no, he was upset because he couldn't market it properly. A number of us know that the Holiday Special is really bad, and I'm sure even GL knows it's bad, but that's not going to stop him from putting bad things together and making a film with them, then charging people to see it because it's called Star Wars.

#9 User is offline   Mr Pye Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

That very little care went into script and style is evident from watching the movies. I guess I suspect Lucas used them mostly as a way to keep developing CGI and digital. One day when reaches the quality (if ever) he's looking for in that area maybe he'll start thinking about the movies content again.

What grates a little is the way the movies are (or were) constantly marketed as the shit to see, but I don't know that blame lies more with the Studios or with Lucas.

And anything Lucas himself say in interviews and extra material I would consider mostly smoke screens.

Unless he really is as clueless as that, but I wonder.

Oh by the way! About the holiday special. I've put myself through the whole thing once, and yes it is appalling, but whose work was it? I don't think it was made by Lucas though he probably owns the rights to it.

This post has been edited by Mr Pye: 11 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

#10 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

Lucas had nothing to do with the Holiday Special. Information on it is fairly easy to find.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size