Chefelf.com Night Life: Economic Hatchback purchase - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Economic Hatchback purchase

#1 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

Im currently looking into buying a hatchback. I have not done so yet, but am in the process of doing research here and there seeing what all my available options are.

Im finding myself pressed for time on occasion, so I though I would solicit the help of others to assist me in doing some of this research for me as well.

With the gas prices hovering around $3.00 a gal, and the possibility of them climbing even higher, Ive decided I want to purchase a very fuel-efficient vehicle.

I know hybrids are the most fuel-efficient thing around, but they are rather pricey, and are out of my money range.

So, Im looking for the next best thing. I want to know what the most fuel-efficient hatchback is.

Why a hatchback? Theres just something about having a rear door on a car that you can open and toss whatever in the back, and close it and go. A trunk does that too, but a hatchback allows larger items.

So Im looking for a hatchback with a 4 cylinder engine. I prefer an automatic transmission, but manual is ok too. A sunroof/moonroof is desired too.

I hate Chrysler, due to an unpleasant experience with my first car, so I have boycotted them eternally.

I love Ford, Gm is ok too. Japanese and Korean brands appeal very well to me.

Models I have looked into are: Ford Focus Hatchback, Toyota Yaris, Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent, Chevy Aveo, Suzuki Esteem, Mazda 3.

(note: its doesnt necessarily have to be a hatchback, fuel economy is the biggest thing Im concerned about, but it its available in hatchback and includes a sunroof,.it suites me to a tea!)

If you can, please post links that show info about the car, specifically its fuel-economy.

So far, I have found out that Yaris gets 41 mpg. Ive also heard good things about Nissan Versa too.
Peter Brady was by far the ugliest Brady kid on the "Brady Bunch". I mean, they were all pretty ugly, and the fact that the Brady dad wanted to always take the boys out on overnight camping trips just a tad bit too often, gave me the creeps.

#2 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

As the driver of a Civic, I can say that it gets good gas mileage, never needs maintenance, handles well, and is very safe even when you get rear-ended while parked by a speeding drunk. Overall, Honda makes excellent cars. You can save a few bucks going for a manual or going without power windows/locks, but it depends on how much convenience you want.

Only problem is, last time I went car shopping, Civics were a little hard to find since everyone wanted to buy one due to rising gas prices.

Here's a link to the tech specs on the four-door sedan.
Sedan

And the two-door coupe.
Coupe

They aren't especially cheap, and used ones go rather dear unless you find a deal.
Tolerance is another word for Apathy

#3 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:06 PM

I really like the Civic DX. I know its an older model, but when it comes to Japanese cars, they last forever. Its really hard to find a DX for sale, they must be good cars that few are willing to part with. I like the fact its small, sporty and has a sunroof.

I looked at the links you posted. Im surprised it only gets 30 city, I would have thought it gets more than that. Yaris boasts 41 city, and I forget how much for hwy.

This post has been edited by princesskadee: 04 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

Peter Brady was by far the ugliest Brady kid on the "Brady Bunch". I mean, they were all pretty ugly, and the fact that the Brady dad wanted to always take the boys out on overnight camping trips just a tad bit too often, gave me the creeps.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

You need to test drive a MINI Cooper. I did all the research last year, looking for fuel-efficiency, storage space, handling, and resale value. I have no regrets- of course there's brand loyalty for you.

I drove an "S" early in the process, and didn't think I'd be interested in such a playful, impractical car. So I test-drove the Acura RX, Scion TC, Mazda 3, and VW GTI, et al (The Civic didn't have a hatch). None were as fun as the MINI. Or had better handling, storage space or resale value. So I looked again, this time at the Cooper.

The S costs more to drive. The Cooper is fast enough with better MPG. As for day to day driving,

it sucks when you arrive: it really kills the vibe.

#5 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Do you mean the Vibe as in the car model? tongue.gif

I'm positive gas prices will continue to rise for as long as oil companies can get away with their flagrant price-gouging. Sadly, I have yet to purchase a car, but this thread will be helpful for when I do, I think.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#6 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hmm,..MINI Cooper, how much do they cost? They look rather pricey to me. I noticed that the rear tires on this car are really close to the bumper,.heck they almost serve as the bumper. But then again, most of these type of cars Im looking into are designed rather petitely.

and as far as the Vibe, Im not sure if he referred to the Pontiac. I dont think he would have, since that specific model is too big for the type of small hatchback cars Im looking into.

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

No Pontiac Vibe intended. Driving a MINI is go-cart handling in a street legal vehicle. It's a blast, and a shame to shut off. But it's a new lifestyle of detours too.

They start at under $18,000 base. Go to MINI.com and choose your country. The base Cooper will be the economy model- Just don't go adding any packages.

When I was shopping, I ran a websearch on "Why I hate the (fill in the blank) ________". The Cooper came up fewest entries, and many of those were the same bad review, pasted word-for-word wherever possible.

There are preowned models available- stay away from 02 and 03, lots of problems. The 05 and 06 are very stable. 07 was a new model year so you'll want to read up on those. A new 06 would be a solid choice IMHO.

edit: yes, the wheels are set on the corners of the car. That's what allows it to hug the road so well!

This post has been edited by Despondent: 05 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

#8 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

starts out at $18k base?..wow! so whats one loaded down with all the switches, and leather, chrome, and sunroof gonna cost?

thats a bit beyond what im willingly to pay. dont get me wrong, they sound like nice cars,.miatas are nice too,.but then again.

im looking for the best deal under around $15k or less, it doesnt have to be brand new either, a few years old wont hurt me.

so like 98 or newer is fine. auto or stick. very very fuel efficient, but not a hybrid.

today i saw a kid spectra S hatchback, it looked cool. I think the Ford Focus offers the most interior space in its class. It may not be exactly the most fuel efficient hatchback out there, but the trade-off would be that I would always have more room in case I ever needed it.

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Go for the JCW kit on a MCSc Convertible and you could pay upwards of $40K for all the toggles. But you'll certainly want some kind of custom graphics so you'll stand out at the Dragon. smile.gif

Maybe there's a used 04 MC out there. Doesn't hurt to look. Regardless, I drove an ancient Integra for a long time, broom stick holding up the hatch and everything, and loved it. And towards the end, if beagle Stuckey threw up, it didn't matter. Hatchbacks are the most functional, practical rides one can find. Best of luck that some awesome vehicle is presented to you.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size