Chefelf.com Night Life: Recommendation: Cheap Answer to "Revisionist" claims - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Recommendation: Cheap Answer to "Revisionist" claims

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 24 2007, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, Rowling didn't make it up as she went along; she wrote the first book, then wrote the epilogue of the final book so she would know what she was working up to. She definitely had most things planned out, and one character (Mr. Weasley) even got a reprieve by the time she got to writing the fifth book.

Some authors, after all, know exactly what they're doing. wink.gif

The proof of the pudding, so the saying goes, is in the eating. I read the Harry Potter books. I won't deny that Rowling had a long-term plan by the time she started the 5th one, and maybe even a solid outline. She might have had some ideas to that effect when she worked up the 4th one. But the writing of the first three books is clearly episodic; why wouldn't anyone meniton Horcruxes in the second novel, for instance? And if the Deathly Hallows were to be so significant in the long run, someone should have mentioned them, or at least the fairy stories in general, in the first book, when the kids were young. Even that whole "parseltongue" episode in the second book was just chance, an example of a writer farming an interaction from one book and claiming it had more significance to the long story than it had. In the end, Harry's being able to speak with snakes was just something he could do, like some folks could change their shape and others could see the future. Set up as some kind of connection between Harry and Voldemort, it was just a red herring. With the exceptions of the 5th and 6th books (after she'd obviously bugun to plan an ending), none of Rowling's novels set up anything for a long plotline, nor indicated that there might be one, apart from the standard "Voldemort is still out there" business. Please don't be a gushing fanboy, Bond, and acknowledge that Rowling has a little of the Lucas fever herslef. Hers of course is not as advanced a case.

PS: In terms of its importance to the end of the series, the epilogue to the last book tells no more than who lived and who died. It wasn't really something to work towards. I'd say more but this isn't a Harry Potter thread with spoiler alerts and all that.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Aug 24 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS: In terms of its importance to the end of the series, the epilogue to the last book tells no more than who lived and who died. It wasn't really something to work towards. I'd say more but this isn't a Harry Potter thread with spoiler alerts and all that.

Pardon, but did you even read the Epilogue? It did a lot more than say who lived and who died. angry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#18 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (rosenrot @ Aug 24 2007, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The statements are fine. My first one says he didn't write all the details down immediately. My second one reinforces that he didn't make it all up from scratch. He already knew the major plot points and most of the main characters. It was just filling in the blanks when he wrote each script, building off the rough foundation he already had.
It is true, it was in one of the first documentaries on Star Wars I ever saw. I believe it was "From Star Wars to Jedi" but it has been some time so I could be mistaken.

He did have other ideas for "spin off" sequels and such but did he ever say "I made it up as I went along?" I don't recall him ever saying those words verbatim, its an accusation made by some disillusioned old fans.

So tell us, WHICH ideas did he have planned in advance?

That after 1983, in the "prequel trilogy" if he ever made it, that Anakin would fall to the DarkSide and Palpatine would institute the Empire over the Republic, the Jedi would be wiped out, and Vader's children would grow up in secrecy?

I'm saying that the entire backstory that we knew of for the prequels was all spelled out for us in the 1976 novelization. Some different details were also given for the Return of the Jedi novelization in 1983.

But basically all the major plot points of the movies were made up as he went along... the father/son thing, the twins/other thing, yoda, the workings of the jedi & sith, and so forth.

It seems the exception rather than the rule that things were planned in advance.

He didn't plan originally for there to be two death star battles, but one, that he repeated later. The Ewok battle was a wookiee battle on a different planet. Coruscant had a different name altogether.

Precious little was planned "in advance" (and by "in advance" I mean before he picked up the notebook and started writing the script). So you've got it backwards. A minor detail like the word "padawan" referring to a Jedi student was thought of in advance. But the part about Jedi training each one Padawan from birth in a celibate order ruled over by a council of Masters, and Yoda training groups of "younglings" and so forth, that was all made up later. The "jedi code" was made up for the Expanded Universe, but is just some poetry, not like the never-seen but apparently huge manual that is constantly referred to in the Prequels themselves. "The Sith" were created in advance, but what they were (or what he was) and what that meant was totally different in the beginning from what we got in the OT and the later EU and it was changed for the PT.

Some of the names like "Vallorum" existed in the past, but they didn't describe characters anywhere near like what we actually got. So again, it seems minor details he invented in the past, but the stories were written from scratch for the most part and most details invented right there.

The fact is that in 1994 when he started writing Episode I, he DUSTED OFF his old notebook and started on a clean page. He didn't have some old script already ready to go that he just modified in places to create The Phantom Menace.

If the "he had it all planned out" folks are right, then the latter is what we should have seen. Instead, most of the movies were made up in the time right before he released them, not a decade or more in advance.

The story changed drastically from 1976 to 1980, and again from 1983 to 1999. Major plot points and details were invented for each movie that had no precedent.

About the only one of the movies you can say that had a significant part that was "planned in advance" was Episode III. Major portions of it were already created and spelled out for us in 1983 and 1976. Of course major plot points were clearly invented just in time for the movie, like Padme dying in childbirth, Darth Plagueis the Wise and all that crap about the midichlorians creating life, General Grievous, and so forth. In the original story, Luke's father and Vader were different people, and Luke's father was either dead or still alive somewhere and Luke would meet him eventually. Vader was described as crawling out of a "molten pit" or falling into a volcano (close, but not quite what we saw). The EU described various stories explaining his injuries that contradicted what we would eventually see in ROTS. The roles of Bail Organa and Owen Lars changed significantly too from 1976-77 to the time the prequels were made. The roles of the droids were greatly expanded and altered from what they were originally.

It's perfectly clear from early interviews, early scripts and behind the scenes docos that Lucas made it up as he went along, and what little he did plan in advance changed significantly.

The "planned in advance" people I think want to us to believe that Lucas had a stack of rough drafts or a "monster script" that he just carved up, polished a little and that's what we had for each new movie after "A New Hope." Instead it seems his plans were fluid throughout. He made it up as he went along for the regular movies, why not the prequels? He just repeated the same method for those too. Only minor details or extremely vague main themes were planned in advance. That's why nobody anticipated that Episode I would be about a tow headed little kid flying hovercraft, building droids for his mom and the antics of a frog-dinosaur clown and a devil-faced black-clad dual lightsaber villain... in an "adventure" centering around trade taxes and teenage elected queens.

He threw us for another loop with the whole Jedi celibacy thing (which was invented for AOTC, it never existed before), or the stormtroopers being clones of Boba Fett's dad (the Stormtroopers being clones has one precedent, a throw-away story in a magazine from 1981 that the EU completely ignored) and so forth. Since Yoda didn't exist in the original story, obviously his major role in the PT was made up as well. Ditto for Jar Jar Binks. Originally, Palpatine was even force sensitive (this was made up for ESB), much less a Sith Lord.

So how anyone can say that he "planned it in advance" (whether they are saying all of it or even a significant percentage of the later movies) I don't know... only sheer blind fanboyism I guess!

This post has been edited by KurganX: 25 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

#19 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:35 AM

And just to clarify once more... when I say that the backstory was revealed to us in 1976, I am referring to the lines by Leia, Obi-Wan and Vader talking about the past, and the prolog to the novel. The 1983 ROTJ novelization has Ben talking about the past again and so forth.

The Prequels picked up SOME of this, and changed a lot more of it. But beyond that tiny bit we're given there really was no backstory.

This is in counter to the claims of fanboys that Lucas had it all planned out in advance (which a normal person interprets to mean he had outlines and drafts in the 70's or 80's for the prequels). A lot of fanboys don't get onboard with the prequel "planned in advance" crap, but they are still insistent that Lucas always knew that Vader was Luke & Leia's father and that Anakin/Vader was some kind of chosen one who would be redeemed. It's clear that's simply not the case, regardless of what he says these days.

If someone has a problem with me saying "he made it up as he went along" please specify what you mean by that. Nitpicking aside, it's a much more accurate assesment of the creation process of the Star Wars saga than "he had it all/mostly planned in advance."

This post has been edited by KurganX: 25 August 2007 - 12:37 AM

#20 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:21 AM

Effing great posts, KurganX.

#21 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

I agree. Thanks to SHOSW, none may ever feel deceived again. happy.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#22 User is offline   rosenrot Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 24 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read The Secret History of Star Wars, my friend: it'll tell you everything you need to know about Lucas' "vision". wink.gif

Besides, "From Star Wars to Jedi" was a biased documentary cooked up by Lucasfilm in 1987. sick.gif

Would that be the one on the shelf next to "The Truth About Area 51" and "The Holocaust Never Happened?" rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry you're all so bitter. Perhaps the master forum should be renamed to "Star Wars Anger and Hate?"

#23 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (rosenrot @ Aug 27 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would that be the one on the shelf next to "The Truth About Area 51" and "The Holocaust Never Happened?" rolleyes.gif

No, I think it's the one on the shelf next to "Overlords of the UFO" and "Snuff". wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#24 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (rosenrot @ Aug 27 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry you're all so bitter. Perhaps the master forum should be renamed to "Star Wars Anger and Hate?"

If you prefer, go read "The Making of Star Wars"... a fully sanctioned Star Wars product, and it confirms most (all?) of the claims of the Secret History of Star Wars.

This isn't conspiracy nutjob stuff.

Why are YOU so angry at fans who don't worship Lucas and take everything he says at face value? Why not think for yourself? Or did you just come here to try to rile people up that didn't share your beliefs and tastes?

PS: I made one typo above. In the original story Palpatine was NOT even a Force user (much less a Sith Lord). I forgot the "not." Oops!
tongue.gif

This post has been edited by KurganX: 31 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

#25 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Rosenrot, I like the PT, and even I acknowledge that the Secret History of Star Wars is the genuine article. dry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size