Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Vaders Suit

#1 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

It took Palpatine a total of 5 minutes to hook Darth Vader up with a shiny new Darth Vader suit. Is it like a special burn victim suit? Do all burn victims in the empire/republic wear such fancy apparatuses? If so, why would people be so intimidated by it?

Didnt Anakin find it a smidge suspicious that his master just happened to have one laying around... in Sith Lord Black, no less?

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

Truth is, Palps had a complete, suited, human-android being, ready to begin with. A dead Annie's head could have easily been attached, so the Emperor gets what he wants regardless. (sigh) But Lord Vader was still alive so Palps had to junk his showroom model for parts.

#3 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

God forbid Lucas tries to write anything where he doesn't have to scramble to wrap everything up in the last 5 minutes. What, did he think we were too stupid to realize that the burned up a guy being turned into a cyborg isn't Darth Vader? Having the suit all set to go, cape and all, just made that scene even more retarded.

#4 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

I think I could have appreciated a gradual evolution of a suit - seeing it for the first time as maybe... gray... maybe without the big helmet (which serves no purpose other than to look super cool). I would have understood Darth wanting the suit to look not so gay as he began to return to the public spotlight.

"Do you think I could get this in black? And could you make it shiny? Shiny is in right now... right?"

#5 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

Cute. How about bobo blue or tattooine brown?

#6 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

There really isn't anything special about the suit aside from the helmet.

#7 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

What about the ginormous codpiece?

#8 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

well the ROTS suit is different
from the one in ROTJ

it has more of a quilt pattern,
while the other is more mechanical

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jun 2 2007, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There really isn't anything special about the suit aside from the helmet.

what about the buttons on the chest?

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

"what about the buttons on the chest?"

I remember arguing about that in 1978 when the action figures were just coming out and I was really Just a tad too old to be playing with them. We had no idea WHAT they did (and it was better that way). Good question, MB.

I also liked the helmet better before it was all symetrical and "perfect" looking. yell.gif

#11 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Jun 1 2007, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It took Palpatine a total of 5 minutes to hook Darth Vader up with a shiny new Darth Vader suit.
Didnt Anakin find it a smidge suspicious that his master just happened to have one laying around... in Sith Lord Black, no less?

The missing segment, (what is not truly revealed in ROTS), is the actual timeframe involved. As we watch the film, we are assuming the events being shown (Vader in the medical ward, and soon going into the black suit by Palpatine,.and Padme's twin pregnancy)..are in real time, and are simoultaneously occuring as the camera pans back and forth between these simoultaneous events as they occur.

I believe, and this is my personal interpretation of the story, that what is being shown towards the end of the film are brief, condensed narratives,.that arent based on real time, and are not occuring simoultaneously.

I believe Lucas just wanted to cut to the meat of each scene, and show each event as breifly as possible (Padme giving birth, Vader getting the suit, Yoda retreating to Dagobah,.and Luke and Leia being taken into care at their respective new homes)

Lucas, realizing he was on a definite time constraint when writing the script for ROTS, and having to bridge the storyline gaps between AOTC and ANH, ..it became a give in to resort to utilizing the condensed scenes.

So, regarding the scenes where Vader is undergoing medical attention by the droids,..the scene where Palpatine informs Vader of Padme's death,..and Palpatine showing Vader the construction of the Death Star...who is to really say,.how much time has passed from one given scene to the next?

This post has been edited by mireaux7: 12 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

And who doesn't care a little less about it, every single day?

#13 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

I thought the suiting-up scene was nice. The lowering of the mask bit ties in with ROTJ, and the score accompanying it is a really beautiful one. Overall, very well done.
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#14 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Jun 12 2007, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucas, realizing he was on a definite time constraint when writing the script for ROTS, and having to bridge the storyline gaps between AOTC and ANH, ..it became a give in to resort to utilizing the condensed scenes.

From the DVD Commentary he says he wanted to tie up all the threads between the OT and the PT. That's why it looked and felt like a checklist.

Time constraint? He had 20 years. The moral: Don't leave your homework until the last minute :-)

#15 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

I think the movie could have ended in the scene where the mask is lowered onto Vader's head and he begins his mechanical breathing for the first time. We could have put the rest together.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size