Chefelf.com Night Life: Stephen King - What Do You Think of Him? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stephen King - What Do You Think of Him?

#1 User is offline   Commodore Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

What do ya'll think of Stephen King and his works? I went through a King phase a few years ago and liked him pretty well. A couple of days ago I started one of his stories just for kicks and found it wordy, droning and self satisfied.

What's your opinion on the man and his writing?

#2 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:05 PM

Stephen King is one of the only authors I can sit through. Of course, I haven’t really read any of the stuff he’s come out with in the last 5 or so years. I usually read The Tommyknockers every fall, and I’ve read Salem’s Lot (one of my all time favorites) a dozen or so times. Good stuff.

I’m working on the Dark Tower series right now - I keep putting it down half way through the fourth book, and then I forget what’s going on so I have to start the series over from the beginning. Roland of Gilead is a great character - I cant wait to see what tragedies await him in the rest of the series.

#3 User is offline   Egfu Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Everything nerdy. Excluding Star Trek and anime.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:29 AM

He can come up with some really good stories, but I dislike the way he writes them. Like Commodore said, wordy, droning and self-satisfying.

But the Dark Tower series was interesting enough to keep me reading until the end. Now, if I could only get my hands on a copy of The Stand...
"When I was five, my uncle was decapitated by a watermelon."

#4 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

Yeah, sometimes. But the guys a nutter, what do you want. Sees a psychiatrist like every day or something. Lets just all be happy he gets all his crazy out on paper instead of taking it to the clock tower.

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:19 AM

Let's see, there's.... "The Shining" and "Carrie". The rest of his "work" can be burnt for all I care.

#6 User is offline   Mad Rabbit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Movies, Reading, Drawing, Lots o' stuff.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

Stephen King is very hit and miss with me. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with him. I am either going to love it or hate it. His best work seems to come from when he's dealing with some kind of emotional issue or personal struggle. Either that or when he used to be stung up on coke. Any coke induced book by King is good reading. Maybe that's why I haven't liked a lot of his recent efforts. Time for an 8-ball Stephen!

#7 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

I wasn't aware he was either deranged or drugged!!

Any info gents? I find him to be very good myself, but not as good as I remember or as he's cracked up to be. (haha, CRACKed up!)
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#8 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Personally, I think most of his novels are too damn loooooong. He should be writing short stories instead. Also, I don't like it when he screws up a perfectly good crime story by introducing stupid and unneeded supernatural elements, see The Dark Half for example.

#9 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

I like the three books he wrote immediately following his car accident: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Dreamcatcher, and From A Buick 8. They're all excellent books, and I suggest you check them out. blush.gif

This post has been edited by Bond: 03 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#10 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

I like everything of his I've read. I like his stories, or at least all that I've read. I kind of like his style. I don't like how much when he writes about authors, but that's not TOO much to worry about.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#11 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

You know, it's interesting; I've been reading his stuff for ages. For example: I read The Eyes of the Dragon when I was seven. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Bond: 03 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#12 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Bond @ Aug 4 2007, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, it's interesting; I've been reading his stuff for ages. For example: I read The Eyes of the Dragon when I was seven. biggrin.gif

How is that interesting?!
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>

#13 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

Well, seeing as it's rather adult content... wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#14 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

Wow, well done

*Claps sarcastically*

You looked at 'adult material' when you were seven. That must've been, oh, a year ago?!

I found Memoirs to be a great wee read, especially as I am an aspiring writer myself.

And the man again!

#15 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Buddy, I'm 16. You're, what, 12? rolleyes.gif

And, yes, I liked Memoirs as well. At least he wasn't swearing as much as in his usual works... wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic