Chefelf.com Night Life: First time viewer watches them 1-6, writes review - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

First time viewer watches them 1-6, writes review

#1 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

Very interesting read. And yes, it's full of double entendres.

http://www.ew.com/ew...1558880,00.html

#2 User is offline   Prequel dialogue coach Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (KurganX @ May 25 2007, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very interesting read. And yes, it's full of double entendres.

http://www.ew.com/ew...1558880,00.html

"The scripts in the earlier movies are significantly stronger. The dialogue is more mature and smart. They had to be, if he was going to get the funding to continue his saga. For the newer Episodes, you can practically see George sitting at his Mac on top of his pile of money and giggling as he types lines line ''Whoa, that's tense'' and ''How rude!'' I looked it up and he was never a writer for Full House, which means he came up with those ditties all on his own. It could be the 4 o'clock in the morning talking, but it's almost as if he didn't have anyone proofreading his scripts. And did he even hire a casting director?"

. even someone who's not a SW fan knew that the prequels were miscast!

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:01 AM

and that was with him watching the way "luas intended"

#4 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:55 AM

For the newer Episodes, you can practically see George sitting at his Mac on top of his pile of money and giggling as he types lines line ''Whoa, that's tense'' and ''How rude!'' I looked it up and he was never a writer for Full House, which means he came up with those ditties all on his own.

Good stuff.

#5 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:04 AM

Very interesting, and well presented. I think the films probably should be watched with the OT first, that would definately make more sense and make it a bit more fun. I wouldnt be surprised if Lucas had meant Ep1 to be watched first and just forgot to tell us about the Jedi and so forth in it, as the reviewer points out.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#6 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:37 AM

even if you found someone, like this article proclaims, who has never seen any of the SW films, and have them sit and watch the movies in roman numerical order..chances are, they would have an idea of the characters from word of mouth, pop culture, advertising, etc before they even saw the first film being shown to them.

however,.... even if you found someone so absolutely remote from it all,....pulled someone out of a social escape cave they were hiding in,....some reclusive hermit who never even heard of SW, Lucas, etc....and had them watch all 6 films through,.and when all six films had ended,.had this person finally give their impressions of the films..do you honestly think it would compare anything at all to the type of review youd be expecting?

not really.

chances are, this person is going to be quite overwhelmed at watching 1/2 a days worth of science fiction films, and probably is not going to recall every precise detail about the films,.like your typical avid star wars fan can.

to get a truly fair review from someone who has never seen any of the films before...the way to do it, would be have them watch one film a week,.over and over again..

when a new week starts,.they watch the next film in the saga...over and over...

and so on, and so forth..

so that they have a similair knowledge of the films, that a star wars fan will have,..but yet, have a different perception, because they were introduced to them as I, II, III, IV, V, & VI.

Unlike the rest of us, which saw it in the order of IV, V, VI, I, II, III.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#7 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

However, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't sucked into this Galaxy Far, Far Away. The stories that Lucas has weaved are truly imaginative and exciting. The six movies flow together with ease, and I cannot imagine having to wait all that time between movies. I barely could wait through the credits (no matter what my bladder said). Seeing the legendary journey of a Jedi was thrilling. After six Episodes, perhaps I too could begin my training to be a Jedi! Okay, maybe that's reaching, but I will be practicing my lightsaber moves in my living room when my roommate is not around!

good stuff.

I'm surprised that he would be confused as to what a Jedi, Sith and the force was after watching Ep1 though.

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

"...sends two Jedi Knights, the champions of peace and justice in the galaxy..."

#9 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

Mireaux: You don't need to have the obsessive knowledge fanboys/girls have of a film to give it a fair review. You don't need to have memorized every single line in the film to give it a fair review either. And yes, I would expect something like what you said with that hermit thing. Star Wars is indeed far too immersed in pop culture to be completely inescapable, but I'm not expecting some nerdy review of the movies by an avid fan when someone tells me someone watches them in order when they haven't been seen before, nor am I going to be wanting that review when I read that headline.

Of course, no offense to fanboys/girls. I'm a dork/geek/nerd, and I have the utmost respect for you all. Now I flee the SW forums for another month! Cheerio.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#10 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Jun 17 2007, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"...sends two Jedi Knights, the champions of peace and justice in the galaxy..."

Yeah, VERY detailed descrition there!

So "Jedi" are diplomatic corps? That doesn't explain what they are and what they can do, not even close. Might as well just say "the good guys."

The Jedi are brown robed warrior monks who have telekinetic/mind powers, carry glowing swords and serve the Chancellor of the Galactic Senate in the Republic. They are employed as peace-keepers and diplomats and (during the Clone Wars) soldiers and military commanders.

#11 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

Could someone provide a transcript of the article? I can't open the damned page. angry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#12 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:17 AM

I'm genuinely curious as to how the person felt about all of it. wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#13 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

Turn off your script blocker? The page loads perfectly for me (firefox).

#14 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

Well, I've got a crappy old Windows 97. angry.gif Not your fault, but if you could just copy the text and message my account here, that'd be great! smile.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#15 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

You've got the ultra rare Windows 97? Sweet! I always wondered what it was like (presumably just somewhere between 95 and 98 right?).

Since you asked for it:

First Person
Losin' It
We challenged EW.com reader Michael Morrison, who'd never seen any of the ''Star Wars'' movies, to watch all 14 hours of Cinemax's recent marathon -- here's his hilarious report

BINKS JINX All his friends had warned Michael about Jar Jar...
Star Wars: Episode I-The Phantom Menace: © & TM Lucasfilm, LTD

EW's Complete Coverage
Star Wars

Editor's Note: In early October, when we first heard that Cinemax would be airing a Star Wars marathon — all six movies in narrative order, from Episode I: The Phantom Menace to Episode VI: Return of the Jedi — senior writer Scott Brown came up with a brilliant idea. Wouldn't it be grand, Scott wondered, if we could find a Star Wars virgin to actually sit through the marathon and write about his or her experience?

A grand idea, indeed: We put out the call for a reader brave enough to endure our challenge, and found a hearty soul in Michael Morrison, a Canadian who'd never seen any of George Lucas' saga. ''It was exhausting, but a lot of fun at the same time,'' Michael told us about his experience. ''It has kind of motivated me to watch other movies on my virginity list. Up next: James Bond! But not all in one night.'' Read about Michael's very special first time with Star Wars in his own words below (oh, and check out his cool entertainment blog too).

The Challenge was simple: Lose my virginity. More specifically, my Star Wars virginity. This was something I had held for so long that I had developed a sort of pride about it. It made me unique in this vast world of passionate and eccentric fans. Was now the time? Would I even be ready?

Late last week I was challenged by EW.com to watch Cinamax's complete Star Wars Marathon — George Lucas' complete saga in the order in which he originally intended (Episodes I-VI). I would have to watch 14 straight hours of Star Wars all night Friday into early Saturday. With my social calendar predictably empty, I decided now would be the time to give up what so many people already have over the last 30 years. However, with my roommate not being up for the challenge, I would be being doing it alone.

My knowledge of Star Wars was limited. I was familiar with the popular sayings that have become a part of today's language: ''May the Force be with you.'' ''Luke, I am your father.'' And without even knowing it, I had already developed a hatred toward Jar Jar Binks. I would take what knowledge I had and commit to this marathon like Darth would eventually commit to the dark side. (My first Star Wars reference!)

Before the marathon, I always wondered what exactly was so special about Star Wars. What was I missing? I've never had the urge to stand in front of a theater wearing a costume. Would I want to after tonight? (I honestly didn't want to know the answer to that one.) And throughout the night I found myself asking some of the same questions. Without being too cynical, I wanted to know why these movies were so important to so many generations of people. In a world of Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, and Battlestar Galactica, do these movies still possess the magic to win new viewers over? Are they still relevant?

With an extra large coffee in hand, I settled in for Episode I: The Phantom Menace. For someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie, it would be easy to criticize them — and Episode I makes it especially easy. I had been told by practically everybody to stay far away from this particular saga. If only I could, Cinemax, if only I could. The movie comes off as childish and vague, and the script is notably weak. But this is my first time, and nobody's first time is perfect; there would inevitably be some bumps along the road. It was only a couple of minutes before my first Jar Jar Binks sighting, and I found myself wondering: Why does he sound like a Jamaican Elmo? However, those are questions for another time. I found I was often confused in this movie. Terms like Sith, Jedi, and The Force were new to me and they came with little explanation. Obviously, most people watching this movie would have seen the other movies and know what is going on, but this first-timer did not. I was obviously dealing with a more experienced partner.

As the night progressed and I became more comfortable with the proverbial ''motion of the ocean,'' I tried my best to forget Episode I. The next two Episodes grew more confident with every scene, and became more and more welcoming for the first-time viewer. Names became more familiar, as did words and phrases unique to the Star Wars Universe. When the pizza man arrived around 3 a.m., I wanted to show him how much I had learned about this cultural phenomenon. I instead treated him to a ''May the Force be with you'' and a $5 tip. He walked away confused.

Next page: Michael on the digital updates and the new order

Page 2:

Continued
Losin' It
Previous
Page 2 of 2

SIBLING REVELRY Of course, seeing the movie in order meant Michael already knew one of the saga's big ''shockers''
Star Wars: Kobal Collection

The worlds that Lucas created are certainly magical and wondrous. Thanks to the digital updates, the flow between the two trilogies was surprisingly seamless — I had been expecting hilarious House of Frankenstein-worthy graphics. Obviously the CGI in the newer films is impressive, but to actually see what Lucas was able to do with limited technology is almost even more impressive.

For me, the biggest problem with seeing these films in their intended order is that Episodes IV-VI offered little surprises. I know who Luke's father is; I know that the little creature is Yoda. I have to sit through that uncomfortable kiss between Luke and Leia knowing that they are indeed brother and sister. Most of the mysteries and questions that drive the plots of the later episodes are nullified by having seen the first three. I almost envied those who saw them in original order, so I too could have enjoyed the shock and surprise of some of the plot's twists and turns. Luckily I was never a fan of bellbottoms, so I will indeed stick with the intended order.

Seeing the movies the way Lucas intended us to see them also lets us see how his power and clout in Hollywood have changed over the years. The scripts in the earlier movies are significantly stronger. The dialogue is more mature and smart. They had to be, if he was going to get the funding to continue his saga. For the newer Episodes, you can practically see George sitting at his Mac on top of his pile of money and giggling as he types lines line ''Whoa, that's tense'' and ''How rude!'' I looked it up and he was never a writer for Full House, which means he came up with those ditties all on his own. It could be the 4 o'clock in the morning talking, but it's almost as if he didn't have anyone proofreading his scripts. And did he even hire a casting director?

It was also interesting to note the shrinking galaxy as the movies progressed throughout the night. The first trilogy boasts enormous cities with towering buildings and seemingly endless planets that surrounded them. The later trilogy is more focused on the core cast in desolate settings. Every planet seemed to be a forest, desert, or giant icicle. I missed the busy cities and vast galaxies.

So after watching the sun set on all six of the Star Wars (or sun rise, in my case), what do these movies mean to me? I have to be careful where I tread here, because people's love of these movies is passionate to say the least. (Personal note: My friends had a Star Wars-themed wedding.) The cynical and tired side of me wants to say that George wanted Episode I to be shown first because after watching 14 straight hours of Star Wars, my memories of young Anakin and Jar Jar are almost long forgotten. I've tossed them aside along with my package of caffeine pills and bottle of Coke.

However, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't sucked into this Galaxy Far, Far Away. The stories that Lucas has weaved are truly imaginative and exciting. The six movies flow together with ease, and I cannot imagine having to wait all that time between movies. I barely could wait through the credits (no matter what my bladder said). Seeing the legendary journey of a Jedi was thrilling. After six Episodes, perhaps I too could begin my training to be a Jedi! Okay, maybe that's reaching, but I will be practicing my lightsaber moves in my living room when my roommate is not around!

I've become reflective on the time I have spent on my couch (and sometimes on the floor) while watching this marathon. Where does this leave me now, my virginity cut away like Skywalker's hand? Am I a different person? Certainly I don't feel different, though my head is full of new terminology! I know what a Sith is now, and I've seen Yoda go from hopping all over the senate to dying on the floor of a cave an old creature. Things like that cannot be taken lightly.

When I watch the Friends rerun with Ross' Leia fantasy, I will now know what he is talking about. No longer will I be scorned when I walk down the street for being a SW virgin. I will no longer watch Spaceballs with a look of confusion on my face. I will laugh like John Candy would want me to. Thank you, John. Thank you.

After 14 hours of Star Wars, I turned off my TV no longer a boy, but a man. I was now like so many of those before me. My eyes heavy and hands shaking (hopefully that's temporary!), I went to bed left with only one question: When can we do it again?
Posted Nov 13, 2006

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size