Chefelf.com Night Life: wallabyeyes loves your taste in music - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

wallabyeyes loves your taste in music the inverse of Hecc's game

#1 User is offline   wallabyeyes Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

Choose any band and no matter how revoltingly putrid i think they are i will mine them for redeeming qualities. There'll probably be bands listed i haven't heard of so i'll have to judge some based on a couple random songs i pluck from... wherever songs come from. or you can suggest a tune or two, if you feel the need.

let 'er rip.

#2 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

P.O.D.
Sum 41
3 Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin
Avril Lavigne
John Mayer
Black Eyed Peas

That's enough. Good luck. devil.gif I hope this thread is as entertaining as Hecc's thread is on a good day.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#3 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Britney Spears
O-Town
The Village People
Panic! At the Disco
Cyndi Lauper
Hilary Duff
Lindsay Lohan
Paris Hilton (yes, sadly, she has a record out)

I specifically want the Black Eyed Peas song, "My Humps." Ugh.

And because he's deserving of some more praise, David Bowie. tongue.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#4 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

The Pussycat Dolls.

Good luck biggrin.gif
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

korn
limp bizkit
linkin park
papa roach
nickleback

#6 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

Reba Macintyre.

Betcha can't say anything about HER.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#7 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Any and every boy band that's existed in the past thirty years.

Choke on that! devil.gif

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 18 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (Jane Sherwood @ May 18 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any and every boy band that's existed in the past thirty years.

Choke on that! devil.gif

i thought i already covered that with:
korn
limp bizkit
linkin park
papa roach
nickleback

wink.gif

#9 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

Those are just a tad different than say, BSB, *NSYNC, O-Town, 98 Degrees, New Kids on the Block, etc., etc...

But I think that Wallaby is taking this "be like Heccubus" thing to the extreme by also not showing up to his own thread for days. tongue.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#10 User is offline   wallabyeyes Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

i'll get around to it whenever i damn well feel like it!

#11 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

I'm going to put up some groups I actually like. smile.gif I wanna know what you think.

Massive Attack
Imogen Heap
Sufjan Stevens
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#12 User is offline   wallabyeyes Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

OK, here's more than half the stuff listed (keep in mind that i despise the majority of these acts):

Sum 41 - As far as pop-punk goes, they're first couple albums were relatively non-objectionable. I liked the song that got lots of airplay here in Canada with that last bit doing their metal shtick "Satan's Sluts". that "we're all to blame" track wasn't bad... distinguished themselves from their contemporaries. all their ballads and slow songs are dumb, though.

Breaking Benjamin - I listened to a few songs off their "Phobia" album. A throwback to generic 90's rock... there are worse things a band can be a throwback to. As far as derivitive riffy alt-rock goes at least they're better than Nickleback.

Avril Levigne - This is a tough one. I guess when she released her first album she had an iota of integrity but it slowly slipped away until you saw pictures of her in the tabloids partying and fucking herself up pretty much smashing any viability of her being a role model for tweenagers. Some of her songs are catchy. You may feel the need to drill a hole in your skull to let the demons out but catchy none the less.

John Mayer - Dude, this guy can wail on guitar as his perfomances on Austin City Limits or the now defunct I&I (on MuchMusic) will attest to. Yeah he writes corny love songs and stuff, but chicks dig him so there's no harm in learning to play some of his tunes for their benefit wink.gif .

Britney Spears - According to many music snobs (at least the ones who reveal themselves on the internet) "Toxic" is the bees knees. I've never heard it in it's entirety but i'll take their word for it. Why would they lie?

O-Town - one of them had a cameo in a funny cartoon?

Cyndi Lauper - she gave us "Time After Time". If you hate this song you have no soul. She's doing jazz standards now. Haven't heard them but power to her for not trying to be a middle-aged pop-tart.

Hilary Duff - She's flakey but at least you don't see her misbehaving in all the tabloids (the only source i can judge from). She did date a douchebag but doesn't everyone at some point? Her songs, though... the problem with judging her music is she isn't a musician or songwriter (except maybe the lyrics but we can't know that for sure) and accounts for maybe 4% of what goes on her records. So i wouldn't be judging hillary duff, i'd be judging some dude (or chick) in a room writing songs for celebrities, just trying to make a living and support his family. Power to him. I haven't heard any live stuff and her voice might be pitch corrected on the albums but as far as i know she can hold a tune OK.

The Pussycat Dolls - Dancers, not music makers. And they're obnoxious humans. BUT... uhh... this kind of club/dance shit is like an aphrodisiac for certain drunk bimbos who like to grind on the dance floor. So quit whining. As long as you stay out of clubs and don't watch Music Television you'll barely notice their existence.

limp bizkit - yes, i listened to these guys in high school. Wes Borland isn't a terrible guitar player and likes good bands (don't have it with me to reference but Guitar World used to have a feature called '60 minutes' where people would list some of their favorite songs and explain their choices). He's not humorless. The rhythm section was decent. Fred Durst himself is a dimwit but there's a capable band behind him on those early albums even if the sound they made together was horrendous.

linkin park - Say what you will about the group but from a sound engineering point of view the sound on their albums is great. Somebody put effort into it. The sound is pretty huge and glossy which may not mean much to the casual observer but from an behind-the-boards stand-point it's decent (Basing this on my skakey memory of their singles).

nickleback - Proof that you can be as unoriginal as you want and still be successful. This has been a source of much solace for me as a perpetually amateur musician. I'd like to shake their hands and thank them for lowering the bar for us all.

Boy Bands - I think boy bands days are numbered forever. Young girls are growing up too cynical to be into that shit. Then again, one of them spawned Justin Timberlake. His cred has just kept rising even as popular opinion shifted. Plus without boy bands, some of my favorite parodies would have been rendered moot! ie. 3x1-1 (though not a boy band in the strict sense, drew from the conventions.) In conclusion, they've never hurt anyone. They're just really dumb.

Sufjan Stevens - the fact that you're into him warms my heart. And why not? Brilliant arranger and composer. A born storyteller. I didn't see him when he played at St. Paul's to my utter dismay. I have Michigan and Illinois but haven't absorbed them apart from a couple songs so i can't give a deeper analysis... sad.gif . But as a multi-instrumentalist/composer/songwriter he has all my admiration.

David Bowie - i haven't been able to come up with anything meaningful to say about his ass-kicking catalogue or influence on popular music in the last 3+ decades that hasn't already been more eloquently said, being more of a casual fan. For me it boils down to three words: "Hunky Dory, Low" OH! the sound on his early 70's albums was so righteous, 'specially on vinyl. It's hard going finding that 'you are there' authenticity in rock today. And he's a groovy guy, probably really accomodating in person. And let's not forget the Labyrinth. That was my introduction and probably yours too. Only Bowie could get away with flashing his junk in a kids movie (through very tight pants, mind you). "What kind of magic spell to use? Slime and snails, puppy dogs tails, thunder and lightning"and baby says"gagagagplpppll" DANCE MAGIC DANCE! and so forth.

I'd like to thank ltts for listing some good bands. feel free to follow her example.

This post has been edited by wallabyeyes: 22 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

#13 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Aw, nothing about Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton, Panic! at the Disco, or The Village People? Come on, there can't possibly be nothing good to say about them. tongue.gif
And yes, Labyrinth was my intro to David Bowie, too. biggrin.gif

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ May 22 2007, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those are just a tad different than say, BSB, *NSYNC, O-Town, 98 Degrees, New Kids on the Block, etc., etc...

not to me they're not.

#15 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ May 23 2007, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aw, nothing about Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton, Panic! at the Disco, or The Village People? Come on, there can't possibly be nothing good to say about them. tongue.gif
And yes, Labyrinth was my intro to David Bowie, too. biggrin.gif

Calm down, he'll get to them. He already did four of your suggestions. lol. tongue.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size