Chefelf.com Night Life: Lucas's Blustering - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Lucas's Blustering Why Is More Necessarily Better?

#16 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (TruJade @ May 16 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would you've rather had the Jake Llyod version of Anakin kill Darth Maul.
Me thinkith not

It might have worked in ROTS. I dont know. *shrugs* The whole thing is fucked.

#17 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

Darth Maul could have been cool if he survived up and until the final scenes in Episode 3.

He was bad ass. I liked him, hated him, now like him again. He had horns, was bald, had black and red skin, wore a conservative out fit, was the most entertaining sword fighter to watch, had yellow eyes, and also made cool faces when fighting the Jedi.

Lucas never had a villain the prequel, but rather a bunch of hench men. Sidious was hardly entertaining. Every Hero needs his nemsis. Episode 1-3 was all over the place with bad guys, good guys, but not one held weight.

Out of all 49 milllion characters in the pt's, Maul had the most potential and could have been a good chracter had Lucas milked him a bit.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#18 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 16 2007, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Darth Maul could have been cool if he survived up and until the final scenes in Episode 3.

He was bad ass. I liked him, hated him, now like him again. He had horns, was bald, had black and red skin, wore a conservative out fit, was the most entertaining sword fighter to watch, had yellow eyes, and also made cool faces when fighting the Jedi.

Lucas never had a villain the prequel, but rather a bunch of hench men. Sidious was hardly entertaining. Every Hero needs his nemsis. Episode 1-3 was all over the place with bad guys, good guys, but not one held weight.

Out of all 49 milllion characters in the pt's, Maul had the most potential and could have been a good chracter had Lucas milked him a bit.

Thank you.

#19 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

Good to see JYAMG!

As usual, you make a good point.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#20 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:05 PM

Milking Darth Maul would've been a stroke
of genius but then you would have to deal
with a character that is better than most Jedi.
Maul was way before his time.

There never should've been a Dooku
Maul could've done it all. Thats my motto

My Uncle was a teen when the originals came
out and even he agrees that Maul was the
coolest of the Sith.

He goes as far to say that Mauls death was a conspiracy.
And that GL was afraid Vader would
no longer be the symbol of Badass Cool.

Its all about preserving Anakins Legacy
and Darth Maul in more then
one movie with more face/action time
would easliy be the audience favourite

anything else is tomfoolery
God I love my uncle

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#21 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

Why do so many people thing Darth Maul was a good character? He was just a stuntman in facepaint! He had one line! Is that it? Since he never said anything, he never said anything stupid? He's a potentailly good character because Lucas didn't take the time to screw him up? He never cackled, never talked about symbiote organisms, never said "yippee," didn't talk in a fake English accent sometimes and not at others, didn't cite previous films, didn't crack stupid jokes, and never stepped in bantha poo. Yeah, I guess that makes him more sympathetic than any of the other main characters in the film. Even R2D2 was screwed up in TPM, and he didn't have any lines.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#22 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

Because Maul looked badass. That one line was lame as it is, he should have been silent. I mean, a bid red devil guy in a black cloak with a lightsaber with two blades? Maul was awesome to look at, and it was a mistake to kill the only real eye-candy in the whole PT franchise. (Apart from Natalie Portman wub.gif .)

And while Inmaul isn't a word, Darth Maul still isn't a terrible name. I would have loved, however, Darth Cendiary.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#23 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ May 17 2007, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He never cackled, never talked about symbiote organisms, never said "yippee," didn't talk in a fake English accent sometimes and not at others, didn't cite previous films, didn't crack stupid jokes, and never stepped in bantha poo.

I know thats why I liked him. When you put it like that... thats probably exactly why I liked him.

#24 User is offline   parcelbombsmurf Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ May 17 2007, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do so many people thing Darth Maul was a good character? He was just a stuntman in facepaint! He had one line! Is that it? Since he never said anything, he never said anything stupid? He's a potentailly good character because Lucas didn't take the time to screw him up? He never cackled, never talked about symbiote organisms, never said "yippee," didn't talk in a fake English accent sometimes and not at others, didn't cite previous films, didn't crack stupid jokes, and never stepped in bantha poo. Yeah, I guess that makes him more sympathetic than any of the other main characters in the film. Even R2D2 was screwed up in TPM, and he didn't have any lines.

You know. You're right. That's why we love him (besides his good swordplay and devilish looks): he had NO LINES! In fact, I recall the only moment of Episode III that I like was where Anakin and Padme were looking across Coruscant, ostenisbly sensing one another's presence, without ANY dialogue and John Williams in the background. It was about 15 seconds of rad, again because GL couldn't mess it up.

So I agree. By allowing Darth Maul to be killed early on, he is the only character that didn't suck. So GL's best move was incidental! Lovin' it ...

#25 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

He looked like an evil person. He had the look and was an awesome sword fighter, the best in the entire SW saga. That is why he could have been a really good bad guy. There is no way he would have acted cool, we all know how Lucas works with actors. Harrison ford gave a good description on how Lucas directs live actors in the dvd extras.

Line up all the villains in the PT's, he had the most potential by a long shot.

If I compare Maul to villains from other films, he falls flat on his face. But with in the SW universe, he was one of the best.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#26 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

Maul was also the face of TPM, and we'd been overrun with him before TPM began, so we cling to that "good" feeling we had before we collectively stepped in bantha poo.

#27 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

Actually, I'm sorry this has derailed a very worthwhile thread... but Civilian raised a good point.

If you guys love Maul as much as you say you do, then you should probably be grateful he got killed off before he could make an idiot of himself.

Still, I am perplexed why you still persist in worshipping him. If I may, I'd like to make an analogy to demonstrate why I find your position so weird.

I take it most of you have seen Tim Burton's 'Batman' of 1989. In it, the main villian is the Joker, played by Jack Nicholson. Now, he's widely regarded as the coolest Batman villian, at least prior to 'Batman Begins'.

Now, if you watched that, I imagine you'd probably think he was it and a bit as well. He had presence and style.

However, according to the logic you applied to 'Star Wars', the coolest villain in 'Batman' would have to have been the last henchman in the film.

And in his way, he's a lot like Maul. He's very good at what he does. He fights really well... and he's a non-character who gets killed off rather quickly.

Now, I think none of you would try to press the case that this particular goon was the coolest Batman villian ever - and of course, you wouldn't. The guy was just a henchman. He gave Batman someone to fight and kill.

So it is with Maul also. He's not a character. He's certainly nothing to write home about or endure a really shit movie for. He's a henchman. Someone to fight. Someone to kill Qui Gon Jin. And someone for Obi Wan to kill to make him feel good about himself.

Nothing more.

#28 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ May 19 2007, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I'm sorry this has derailed a very worthwhile thread... but Civilian raised a good point.

If you guys love Maul as much as you say you do, then you should probably be grateful he got killed off before he could make an idiot of himself.

Still, I am perplexed why you still persist in worshipping him. If I may, I'd like to make an analogy to demonstrate why I find your position so weird.

I take it most of you have seen Tim Burton's 'Batman' of 1989. In it, the main villian is the Joker, played by Jack Nicholson. Now, he's widely regarded as the coolest Batman villian, at least prior to 'Batman Begins'.

Now, if you watched that, I imagine you'd probably think he was it and a bit as well. He had presence and style.

However, according to the logic you applied to 'Star Wars', the coolest villain in 'Batman' would have to have been the last henchman in the film.

And in his way, he's a lot like Maul. He's very good at what he does. He fights really well... and he's a non-character who gets killed off rather quickly.

Now, I think none of you would try to press the case that this particular goon was the coolest Batman villian ever - and of course, you wouldn't. The guy was just a henchman. He gave Batman someone to fight and kill.

So it is with Maul also. He's not a character. He's certainly nothing to write home about or endure a really shit movie for. He's a henchman. Someone to fight. Someone to kill Qui Gon Jin. And someone for Obi Wan to kill to make him feel good about himself.

Nothing more.

When I initially went to see TPM, I thought for sure that DM was going to be some sort of ongoing character - that he would start out seemingly like a henchman, and then as the next two movies progressed, his character would develop and there would be some sort of climactic battle between he and Darth Vader somewhere near the end of Episode 3.

It only made sense. After all, there was no way GL would kill him off and introduce a series of meaningless villains to fill the endless minutes of the last 2 films. That would just be asinine.

So when I saw DM whupin' up on the two Jedi in the final duel - I was pretty sure I was right. I figured, something would happen, and DM and Obiwan wouldn’t be able to finish their fight - perhaps something the story could build upon later… you know what I mean - characters who actually have some sort of history and didn’t just stumble upon each other via some stupid chance of fate.

And then Obi wan jumped up and flipped around like a circus acrobat, and DM stood there looking stupid for a good three seconds and watched the Jedi slice him in half for some reason we will never understand.

It was at that point that I realized that there was no chance of redemption for the PT. I was never going to feel sympathetic or emotionally attached to any of the PTs characters. The only ones who I was sure would remain constant at that point were Anakin, Obiwan and Yoda. And all three of them made me ill by the time the credits rolled.

I’m not real sure where I was going with this, but I - oh yeah - my issue is with the wasted potential. The fact that DM didn’t run around TPM acting like a total retard and saying ridiculous shit makes him without question, the coolest character in the PT. Sure we should probably get down on our knees and lick GLs sack for doing us at least this small favor. I for one would rather give him a stiff uppercut for being the bloodsucking hope&dream leach that he is.

Fuck you George Lucas! *shakes fist menacingly* And your little ‘yes’ men too!

#29 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

I see what you mean about the wasted potential. But you see, that's part of the whole problem with Darth Maul as a character.

It's not his fault - it's Lucas'. We all know this. But the problem is that since he was undeveloped, though through no fault of his own, he never became a great villian.

I can concede that he could have potentially been an interesting character (overlooking the fact that he looked ridiculous with his face paint and horns)... but in the end, we can only judge him on what he was, not what he could have been.

#30 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ May 19 2007, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but in the end, we can only judge him on what he was, not what he could have been.

Exactly. And what was he?

The fact that DM didn’t run around TPM acting like a total retard and saying ridiculous shit makes him without question, the coolest character in the PT.

Nuff said.

Can you name one better?

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 19 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size