• « First

Fashion, dah-lings I cant believe this topic didn't exist

#61 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

I don't think I ever called emo a conformist style. There's quite a bit that you can do with it including going a bit more retro. The thing that I did say is that emo is popular. When something becomes popular idiots are going to get involved. And saying that emos are posers is nothing new, because as I recall every goth ever was a poser, every wiccan, every grunge kid, etc etc.

Not having an interest in the fashion or the music simply because of some of the adherents would be like not driving a truck because some people who drive trucks are stupid.

MCR, Thursday, and Hawthorne Heights produce some pretty good stuff, and I judge them on their musical talent rather than their fan base. I judge the fashion on its aesthetic appeal to me, rather than on who wears it.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#62 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

i dont mind reading rambles, spoon..but please try to create paragraphs and spaces out of that hectic jumble.
Peter Brady was by far the ugliest Brady kid on the "Brady Bunch". I mean, they were all pretty ugly, and the fact that the Brady dad wanted to always take the boys out on overnight camping trips just a tad bit too often, gave me the creeps.

#63 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

. . . There are paragraphs. That's what the line breaks differentiate.

And Jm, I didn't mean emo IS conformist, it's just not nonconformist, either. I was going off how you said that "It's become popular to not like whatever's popular so you look like you're very much out of the main stream and individual, but by just judging anything with even a smidgeon of accidental pop appeal as evil or corporate or lame or whatever, thats just getting on the old bandwagon." As in, some people think that becoming emo makes them a big bad noncomformist, when it really doesn't. "Emo" and "not conforming" are not words/phrases of identical meanings.
I also didn't say every emo is a poseur. I very specifically included that there are some genuine people out there. Neither did I say that I didn't have an interest in the fashion/culture because some people in it are stupid. I just meant that the people that are the way I described annoy me, and are why the "emo" label has such negative connotations lately. I even said I'm fine with emo music. Hell, I even have a pair of emo glasses that I wear when I'm too lazy to wear my contacts. And I've said before that I have and wear fedoras, that could be interpreted as "emo."

Edit: Got a little snippy there. I apologize. In this post, I am merely re-explaining my purpose and meaning so that I am no longer misinterpreted by my previous statements.

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 08 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#64 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

I'm so noncomformist I dress to conform so I don't fit in the the nonconformists.
Tolerance is another word for Apathy

#65 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

you can't win! either you fit in with the conformists, or you fit in with some group of nonconformists (seriously, there are so many labels floating around out there that no matter what you look like, there's at least one that can describe you.)

the solution is to not really give a crap and just wear what you like/whatever's comfortable.

This post has been edited by Emu: 08 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#66 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

Amen, Emu! biggrin.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#67 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

Conformity? I rather conform to my own comfort and not for the sake of style from a bunch of sheep which is sadly true for the enforcements of uniforms and tie. I mean sheep in where you have to follow.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 08 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

#68 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

yeah, corporate dress codes are quite unfortunate. nice shirts do look good, but ties look like the most massively uncomfortable thing ever! it seems like less places are enforcing a dress code nowadays, but there are still some around.

(I still don't want to do my lab writeup, so I am going to ask more silly fashion questions.) so, we've talked a lot about everyday attire, but what do you all wear on occasions of the fancy variety? I tend to go for a kind of classic style - generally my black slightly-longer-than-knee-length skirt with dark red flowers on it, with a black tank top and sweater and my nice shoes (black high-heels which are not too uncomfortable). I don't actually own a super-formal dress, though, since I didn't go to my high school prom and haven't had any other occasion to obtain one.

(err...back to making op-amps...)

This post has been edited by Emu: 08 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#69 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

I'm short, so I'm pretty much obligated to wear heels... But I can't walk in them, so I try to avoid them if I can get away with it. For really dressy, such as prom or something, I like dresses that go all the way down to my feet/the floor, and I like darker colours best. Like I mentioned before, as little makeup as possible, so maybe mascara, eyeshadow, and a naturalish lipstick; and I don't do much to my hair - I might put it in a barrette or curl it a bit, but I refuse to wear it up. For less dressy but still dressy, I usually wear a skirt, still long; and some sort of nice tank top, sweater, or blouse. Maybe some mascara/lipgloss. Such as my silk pirate blouse. Hehe. For just kinda dressy things like job interviews or giving a speech or whatever, I have a nice pair of black dress slacks that I'll wear with those same tank tops, blouses, or sweaters. No makeup. I try to avoid dressing up as much as possible - in fact, I haven't worn a dress in two years (though I have worn a skirt a couple of times).

#70 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

I don't bother to comb my hair much apart from when I am going out or when I have visitors. When I forget despite using my hands to comb sometimes people laugh at me outside but I dont care too much now because I have some sense of true advantage.

I like shirts that are plain with thin underlining around the neck. The thick underlining shirts I can feel. Most times when I go shopping it ends up in disaster in bringing them back.

Just thinking about how I am going to start my thread on Uniforms vs Myths.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 08 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

#71 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

I wear clothing from American Eagle, Jacob, GAP, and Old Navy. My hair is fairly short, and is styled with Fructis (sp?) styling gel. My Gucci glasses have black frames, and the lenses are kind of horizontal. I also wear a Gucci watch, and I only wear makeup if it's a special occasion. I also wear red, or black full length dresses if it's a formal event.

...and that is what looktothesky wears.
LOL! Sorry. tongue.gif

(PS. I hear ya, Spoon. High heels are near impossible!)
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#72 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

If it's a formal occasion, I really enjoy wearing a black tux. Neckties aren't at all uncomfortable in my opinion.
However, if it's more of an informal party, then I wear a colourful Hawaiian shirt, and a white pair of corduroy (is that what you call it?) jeans. Accessories: bone necklace, golden bracelet.

#73 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

I prefer the white tux with black bow and slacks. My coat must have long tails.

Spoon: Why must you wear heels if you're short? Is there a minimum height requirement for girls to be considered dressing formal?
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#74 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

I'm having a difficult time coming to terms with the idea of someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt with corduroy pants.
Someone hold me?

#75 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, it's this unspoken thing. Actually, all girls pretty much "should" wear heels unless they are too tall, but if you're short, you like, HAVE to. Heels are the dress shoes for girls. I dunno. It's stupid and I try to get around it, but then whoever is running the function or whoever it's particularly important to or in some cases, just my friends or mom can often manage to manipulate me into a pair. They've never managed to get me into stilettos, though. YUCK. (I think I'd end up killing myself just trying to walk out the door!)

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size