• Last »

Fashion, dah-lings I cant believe this topic didn't exist

#46 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

Didn't work on Paris Hilton recently.

Joke: Maybe with enough time with the ordinary or criminal people her sentence would probably end in hospital involving the use of plaster of paris.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 06 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

#47 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:41 PM

"Goths turned pussy" is a term my friend coined that I thought was fun. tongue.gif I don't mean to offend anyone but I find that "emo" is like a copy of punk, goth, and whiny brat. The "whiny brat" part is the "lifestyle," though, not the fashion. The fashion just seems to be taking what used to be known as goth-punk and adding some pink, some girl's jeans, and whereas for goth-punk there were several hairstyles to choose from, for emo, it's a mandatory dyed-black reversed mullet (long in the front, short in the back).

Hehe, I looked this up and found it amusing:
http://en.wikipedia....Emo_%28slang%29
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#48 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, it's a bunch of angsty surburbian kids with just enough of a fashion sense to be dangerous and buy everything at Hot Topic, and look exactly like all of their dyed-black mop-haired, tight-jeaned, lip-ringed friends. Don't forget your Converse sneakers! (I like Converse, but it's like a necessity for the emo idiots.

The slang originally came from "emotional" whiny bands that cried on stage.

Hope is Emo Doesn't update anymore, but she's the quintessential Emo in action, though a bit more on the goth side of fashion than emo.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#49 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

That Hope is Emo video about the wedding it reminds me of Korben's Mother in a slower pace.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 06 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

#50 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

Emo bashing is SO 2005.

Besides, rather than sitting there berating a subculture you don't identify with, why not do some research and learn about the remarkably interesting history that the music has behind it instead?
Start here:
http://www.fourfa.com/

#51 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

Sorry it was just a description. I have nothing against them. Just not my type music or dress sense or style. I am still confused on the term Emo but I will re read.

The gothic stuff, I am against it when people to have to pay money to be a part of it. My principle is that it should be free unless the money was collected for an object or a trip.

#52 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:28 AM

ok,.i have an emo question if someone knows a lot about emo and can give me an answer to this.

those kids that wear those dog-ugly "brady bunch 1970's thick brimmed black eyeglasses to look cool" .....is that considered emo?

or if it isnt emo,..someone pleeease tell me what "fashion-statement" those glasses are trying to say. i hope i described the type of glasses im talking about well.

....they look damn silly and hideous, like someone traveled back in time and bought them from a partridge family garage sale...they are like typical eyeglasses, but have rims as thick as texas.

This post has been edited by blueoceans: 07 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

#53 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:30 AM

You are aware of the fact that those are still necessary for some, right? Anyway, I think the people you're referring to are called "nerds" or "geeks". I guess there can be an overlap here, though.

#54 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ May 6 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry it was just a description. I have nothing against them. Just not my type music or dress sense or style. I am still confused on the term Emo but I will re read.

I wasn't really responding to you, more to the people who are mindlessly insulting something without knowing a single thing about it.

#55 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I read something about "teenagers wanting to be different" relating to the invention to many kinds of styles.

Me, my style is comfortable clothing.

#56 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

Yes, those glasses are considered emo. Also, indie. Also, geek. It depends on what the rest of the style that person's got going on as well as the glasses.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#57 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

Behold our webpage of doom:

http://www.udressmag.com/

Yar!
Tolerance is another word for Apathy

#58 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:12 AM

I rather enjoy emo, both stylisticly and musically. It's become popular to not like whatever's popular so you look like you're very much out of the main stream and individual, but by just judging anything with even a smidgeon of accidental pop appeal as evil or corporate or lame or whatever, thats just getting on the old bandwagon. Like if Titanic hadnt been the big movie of 97, the same people mocking it would probably have made it a cult classic or something.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#59 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ May 8 2007, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rather enjoy emo, both stylisticly and musically. It's become popular to not like whatever's popular so you look like you're very much out of the main stream and individual, but by just judging anything with even a smidgeon of accidental pop appeal as evil or corporate or lame or whatever, thats just getting on the old bandwagon. Like if Titanic hadnt been the big movie of 97, the same people mocking it would probably have made it a cult classic or something.

Me too. There's a plethura of brilliant music to be found within what is possibly the broadest subgenre out there. Everything right from the 80s scene (ie: Rites Of Spring) to more recent stuff like Underoath. The music's changed a LOT, but it's not like it's all horrible. The main problem I see is that people confuse pop punk with emo regularly, and as a result they associate nonsense like Simple Plan or Avril Lavigne with emo.
If anyone is willing to give the music a chance, I can offer up a lengthy list of artists worth checking out. As a reformed emo kid who can't quite let go of the music, I have a pretty good library backed up. tongue.gif

#60 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my explanation of emo.
When talking about music, I find that the term "emo" just doesn't really work anymore. The original definition, sure, fine - but today it seems to encompass so much crap. Anything where there's like a problem the singer is singing about, and it's not country music or opera, that's emo. Psh. That's almost every existing song ever. But I never said anything about the music, I don't care one way or t'other about the music really, as some of it's good and some of it's bad just like any other genre, and I don't divide what I listen to into genres, anyway - I just like what I like, and listen to what I like.
I dunno. Emo these days is (mostly) just a big poseur thing. I think there are maybe 5 non-poseur emos in the whole world. And like Jm said, emo isn't noncomformist, just like any fashion that has an immediate labeling (punk, goth, whatever).
I just think the de-evolution of the term "emo" has brought in a lot of crap with negative connotations to just about anyone who doesn't associate themselves with it. That plus the fact that a billion crappy little kids that can't spell or even speak right are all like, "omg im so emo i cut myself n let it bled til i diiiiie insyyyyyde n then i go get sum stuf at hot topyc" and they just whine about how their rich dad is SO horrible because he bought them jeans from Abercrombie when they wanted bondage pants overladen with skulls and chains and crap, and thus, their life is worthless and no one cares about them and all this other bs. It's "cool" to be angsty and whiny and it's "cool" to self-mutilate and it's "cool" to misspell everything and write bad poetry with all the same cliches as everyone else's bad poetry.
And I'm talking about the majority of those who identify themselves as emo, at least around here and on the websites/forums/etc that I've looked at. Not at anyone specifically. There probably are some genuine "emos" out there that wouldn't fit into this, I'm just talking about what the "subculture" has seemed to de-evolve into.
As far as the fashion goes, it used to be different from other stuff, but now it just seems to be a clone of what used to be known as punk and/or goth, plus the big glasses and the black bangs in the eyes, and don't forget the tiny little scratches running down the arms (I don't think I've seen anyone that boasts about their cutting do anything worse than what a kitten could do). It used to be more like, indie-geek-punk... I dunno. It was different, and then it became crap. People any younger than I am don't even remember what "punk" and "goth" are, because now those subcultures are associated with "emo," too, and true punk and goth are dying out.
Please, don't be offended. I'm referring to the people that are giving "emo" a bad name (and killing other sub-cultures in the process), that just happen to be the majority of those that identify themselves as "emo" (whether they should be considered "true" emos or not). Not the "true" subculture, and I'm not targeting anyone.

And here I've rambled again... Sorry to be such a "girl."

Edit: Used HTML again. Grah.

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 08 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size