• Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Apr 24 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no one from Vancouver rarely mentions anything about Chinatown there,.I heard its one of the largest in North America. You would think it would be something to pridefully boast about.

It is something to have pride in
especially during the Chinese New Year,
the Cherry Blossom Festival,
and the Night Market.

But unless you live in the
area you usually only use
Chinatown as a shortcut/
were you get your good spices

or visit the garden.
Unfortunatley after those times of the
year pass Chinatown gets a little forgotten
But it's no different then

people forgetting Little India
or the Italian district.
Plus the downtown atmosphere
is a little ummm...... Dirrty

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Apr 24 2007, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no one from Vancouver rarely mentions anything about Chinatown there,.I heard its one of the largest in North America. You would think it would be something to pridefully boast about.

Vancouver's Chinatown is a slum. Maybe that's what it is in every city, but the one in San Fransisco seemed nince and clean to me when I was there. Another thing about SF, and I admit I wasn't there long, is that I got the impression that folks there could speak English. So it was a region for Chinese people, possibly even an object of cultural pride. In Vancouver, it's just a ghetto for folks who couldn't function elsewhere in the city, due to not knowing the language (maybe they'd be ok in parts of East Van or Richmond). And being right next to the scummiest part of town, a tourist looking for cheap ben-wa balls could find himself surrounded by junkies and $10 hookers.

So no, I don't feel particularly prideful that it's so large.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 27 2007, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Vancouver, it's just a ghetto for folks who couldn't function elsewhere in the city, due to not knowing the language (maybe they'd be ok in parts of East Van or Richmond). And being right next to the scummiest part of town, a tourist looking for cheap ben-wa balls could find himself surrounded by junkies and $10 hookers.

So no, I don't feel particularly prideful that it's so large.

ten dollar hookers, eh...whats that currency amount translate to in canadian currency?,.like $13.75?

or is that sort of a trick question in itself, being that you are already in vancouver and have stated the price upfront.

#19 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:20 AM

Well if you're looking for a US conversion, you must be a tourist. You shouldn't admit that in a sketchy part of town; tourists can be lost more easily and never found if you know what I mean. Best to get your money changed at the bank rather than pester retailers with the conversion rates.

But yeah, I meant Canadian, so that'd be like $8.96 US. Don't wait around for the the change.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:34 AM

CHina town is a shit whole. I ate at a restaurant there once and I was served Mr. Noodles with shavings of beef on top.

I told the waitress "this is just Mr. Noodles with some meat in it", she gave me that stupid confused asian look like "whaaaaa?". I knew she could understand me too, she took my order. The restaurants are disgusting, the open food market smells like dead ocean life, half of the inhabitants are senior citizens from china (yay old people), hookers and junkies surround the region (not inside it just around it), in small areas where there is plant life and some foliage you'll also find used needles.

No English speaking Chinese actually go there. It's for retired people who can't speak English and maybe illegal immigrants. When I was 16 I went there to find bottle rockets (fire crackers are illegal in our country...) NOBODY had them. 20 mins in San Fran's China town and I bought a butterfly knife and 5 bricks of bottle rockets for like 5 bucks a brick. China town's should be places were kids get stuff illegal. Our China town can't even provide that.

Vancouver has so many junkies that we can recognize them by face. The hookers near china town are so far gone that you wouldn't even need to pay them, they sure as hell don't have pimps, and they probably couldn't do much if you walked out on them without paying.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 28 April 2007 - 04:40 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#21 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

Mentioned at various times throughout other forum posts, but I'm from Sydney, Australia. Largest city in Australia and often called the capital of the country by many people outside of Australia because they generally don't know of any other cities.

Famed for hosting the 2000 Olympic Games (best games ever), we now also have a nomination for the new 7 Wonders of the World in our Opera House. It is also the home of the Barend/Supes Sydney Tour Service - exclusive to ChefElf Nightlifers.

We have a great harbour, a bridge we call the coat hanger and a pretty diverse cultural environment these days. I like to encourage people who come to Australia not to come to Sydney first. To many back packers I've met have started here and then stayed for a few weeks/months longer than they thought they would and then have to do a made dash around the rest of the country before they have to head on. Check out the rest o the country first before Sydney traps you.

I love it though!
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size