Chefelf.com Night Life: Centered around a Go Cart race... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Centered around a Go Cart race... overexaggeration to the extreme

#1 User is offline   Frank the Rabbit Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

It just makes me mad how people call the podrace a go cart race. How, in any form, is a race with fragile pods connected by wire to two gigantic engines, being kept together by a highly dangerous electric coupling anything like a go cart race? The odds of surviving the race are very small, and it takes superhuman abilities to even pilot one. I was never aware that a children's race was so dangerous. I understand the prequels(especially TPM) arent perfect, but calling this a go cart race is just a stupid ploy used by prequel bashers to avoid having to explain their points.

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

TPM was a feckless follow up to the Ewoks movie (ROTJ)

THERE'S some overexaggeration to the extreme for you.

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, it's not a go-cart. It's actually a chariot race, based on the race in BEN HUR. The difference between the TPM race and the one in the original film is that in BEN HUR, we were well acquainted with the hero and villain in the race, and it was the culmination of the main storyline of the film. In TPM, we were introduced to the Masala character just before the race, and in order to make sure we knew he was bad he was an ugly bit of CGI as opposed to a cute little kid.

The chariot race in TPM is childish. The race in BEN HUR is awesome.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

Personally I would have preferred a go kart race. Something along the lines of Mario Kart. It would have been great if Sebulba had hot a red shell at Anakin but Anakin counteracted it with a string of banana peels.

I guess there's always the TV show for that.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Frank the Rabbit Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

Its funny how touchy people get when someone defends the prequels.

Point well made though, the idea was cool, but the execution..not so cool.

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Frank the Rabbit @ Apr 12 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It just makes me mad how people call the podrace a go cart race. How, in any form, is a race with fragile pods connected by wire to two gigantic engines, being kept together by a highly dangerous electric coupling anything like a go cart race? The odds of surviving the race are very small, and it takes superhuman abilities to even pilot one. I was never aware that a children's race was so dangerous. I understand the prequels(especially TPM) arent perfect, but calling this a go cart race is just a stupid ploy used by prequel bashers to avoid having to explain their points.

in a galaxy where people can surf on lava, pod racing is definatley tantamount to go carts.

and you're obviously unfamilar with adult 1000cc karting. I was watching the championships last weekend. It rained out, some great crashes.

but seriously. pod racing was fun to watch, but a small child "yipeee" participating in it trivialised any danger involved. it looked dangerous to you but so would half-pipe skateboarding to 13 year old living in ancient babylonia. Where we think nothing of it.

i mean gushers are constantly overcompensating for their love of the prequels but saying WTF was luke doing in an x-wing. but he's fucking 19, practiced, adult sized, and the red barons age. it was the equivilant of 250cc rider jumpin on an R6. not totally a smooth transition, but if your carefull and gifted you can do it.

but a 10 year old? give me a fucking break, when was he practicing? from the age of 3 sitting on a couple of phone books pulling the controlls with coat hangers?

to be fair the pod race is more like a motorcycle race, but the go-cart, although somewhat hyperbolous, is stil apt.

APT!!!

i defend it sir.

it was an insignificant moment in SW history that robbed us of adequate time to persue the story

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Frank the Rabbit @ Apr 12 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its funny how touchy people get when someone defends the prequels.

Point well made though, the idea was cool, but the execution..not so cool.

it's not a matter of touchiness when attacking those who defend the things that lower our living standards.

#8 User is offline   Frank the Rabbit Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

It's also funny how dramatic people get.

#9 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

As someone else already said, the problem with the pod race (as well as episodes I and II overall) is that it wastes valuable story telling time. Lucas dicked around with TPM and AOTC, and then had to rush everything in ROTS. The result is that a lot of loose ends were tied up in an extremely sloppy fashion.

By the way, I think you'll find more entertainment in pointing out flaws in the OT rather than attempting to defend the PT.

#10 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

I should defend myself. I wasn't being "touchy" about the prequels. Howveer I can and will get youchy when people call me touchy. It's like people telling you to calm down when you're already calm. Pretty much always pisses you off just a little bit, right?

Anyway, right down to the flipping fish to count the rounds, the pod race in TPM was an homage to BEN HUR. It added nothing to the story of TPM. In fact, finding the kid on Tatooine was a total waste of time and had nothing to do with TPM. Its only purpose seems to be that Lucas wanted every movie apart from ESB to have some scenes on Tatooine. It was his new obsession after JEDI, apparently.

It wasn't the pod race that convinced me not to watch the other prequels, but it was during the pod race that I first thought of walking out. Had it not been a midnight show, and had I not been responsible for driving people home, heck, had the arcade even still been open, I would have. But with nothing else to do I stayed for the rest of the movie. There were no scenes in the whole film - and I include the capoeira sword fight - that were any better or much worse than the pod race. It was a big yawn from start to finish.

Reminiscing about when I saw TPM reminds me that when a gal from the theatre stepped in front of the screen before the show started to hand out some door prizes, some dude yelled out "show us your tits!" That was pretty cool; I wish I had the guts to do that. I bet sometimes when you yell that, you get to see tits. That must be great.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#11 User is offline   Frank the Rabbit Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

Yea, you werent being that touchy, its all good. And i find entertainment in defending things everybody hates. its a fun challenge. I actually do like TPM, though, its not a classic or anything, just good ol camp.

It is beginning to annoy me how lucas thinks he has to put a homage to EVERYTHING in his movies. be original.

Actually Civ, now that i think about it, i my comment about touchiness wasnt directed towards you at all, im sorry for the misunderstanding.

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Frank the Rabbit @ Apr 12 2007, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's also funny how dramatic people get.

people are sheep. people are slaves.
all they get in return is entertainment that lowers their ability to think and makes them want to buy shit that's made by people who live in worse conditions.

makeing shit films should be a treasonable offence. and punishable by crucifiction.

how's that for dramatic?

QUOTE (Storm @ Apr 12 2007, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way, I think you'll find more entertainment in pointing out flaws in the OT rather than attempting to defend the PT.

that and it's easier.

lets face it, the OT aint science fact.

you've a much better chance of finding an inplausability in the OT than defend an absurd brain fart like an underground river that runs through the planets core.

This post has been edited by barend: 16 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

#13 User is offline   sesame_street_hustler Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Apr 12 2007, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I would have preferred a go kart race. Something along the lines of Mario Kart. It would have been great if Sebulba had hot a red shell at Anakin but Anakin counteracted it with a string of banana peels.

I guess there's always the TV show for that.

super bombad racing, anyone???
the world is a game of players & pawns with everyone striving to be the king

#14 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 16 2007, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
makeing shit films should be a treasonable offence. and punishable by crucifiction.

Crucifiction? Is that like when you make up a story about a fellow what gets crucified? Like LIFE OF BRIAN? laugh.gif

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 12 2007, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reminiscing about when I saw TPM reminds me that when a gal from the theatre stepped in front of the screen before the show started to hand out some door prizes, some dude yelled out "show us your tits!" That was pretty cool; I wish I had the guts to do that. I bet sometimes when you yell that, you get to see tits. That must be great.

It is.

I went and saw Slayer last night and some girl got on her boyfriends shoulders. She seemed like a nice girl, cute and wore glasses, but she commited a fopar by blocking the view of everone behind her. and i said, "Hey people behind you can't see! you have to flash your tits if you're going to do that, to appease the gods!" She looked at me and i just shrugged my shoulders and said "hey, I don't make up the rules."

So she did. and they were awsomeley wonderful.

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 17 2007, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crucifiction? Is that like when you make up a story about a fellow what gets crucified? Like LIFE OF BRIAN? laugh.gif

yes, yes it is.... dry.gif

biggrin.gif TITS!!! biggrin.gif

i tell you,

biggrin.gif TITS!!! biggrin.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size