Chefelf.com Night Life: My thoughts... - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

My thoughts... Regarding the new update.

#16 User is offline   Prodian Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Mar 22 2007, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's wrong to have this non-smoker's 'eternal life fantasy' just because you don't smoke cigarettes, ok? You're gonna fucking die as well. Sorry if I popped a pink bubble with that.
So do I, okay? That's what I meant by being considerate.

Yes, I am going to die. But I plan my life on chances. If I currently have a 50% chance of living to 80 I'd only have a 49.5% chance if I smoked.

Subtract if I:
Drank regulary: 49%.
Did drugs: 47%.
Cut: 46.5%.
Robbed Banks:40%

Add if I:
Never drove: 56%
Ate healthily: 57%
Never drank: 58%
Worked out 59%

Thats just the way I look at it. I make choices based on how will it effect my longevity. Who are we but fleeting specks, flashes of existance to the universe? But if my flash is just a little bit longer, a few more brief moments, then I will have accomplished something.

#17 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Mar 22 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the ideal non-smokers who don't come up to a smoker from the other end of the street and start coughing.

Yeah, woudn't do that, but I hate it when I have to cough, and all the smokers just look at me with a 'how dare you' look on their face, as if a natural reacion is accusing them of all being dirty tramps.

QUOTE (Prodian @ Mar 22 2007, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You make your teeth bad (But being British it's too late.

No it only looks bad beside american teeth, which are unaturally white, and are going to get cancer anyway off all the teeth whitener they use.

This post has been edited by El Presedente: 22 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

#18 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Prodian @ Mar 22 2007, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I am going to die. But I plan my life on chances. If I currently have a 50% chance of living to 80 I'd only have a 49.5% chance if I smoked.

Subtract if I:
Drank regulary: 49%.
Did drugs: 47%.
Cut: 46.5%.
Robbed Banks:40%

Add if I:
Never drove: 56%
Ate healthily: 57%
Never drank: 58%
Worked out 59%

Thats just the way I look at it. I make choices based on how will it effect my longevity. Who are we but fleeting specks, flashes of existance to the universe? But if my flash is just a little bit longer, a few more brief moments, then I will have accomplished something.

Well, after reading that, I would laugh if you got hit by a car. (No offense meant, I just would.)

Every day can be the last. You can't really calculate how long you could possibly live if you do this and that.

You never drank, you never drove, you always do sports, but still, you never made it to your 80s because of that plance crash you died in at 30. Or the sudden explosion of a chemical plant in your region that gave you cancer. And still that other guy who always smoked and drank and never did sports lives till he is 85, just because he was a bit more lucky than you.

You can't really prolong your life, other than totally isolating you from everything that has even a 0,001% possibility of killing you. Just live and enjoy the moment.

#19 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

I never took up smoking because:

- I don't want to piss people off
- If I'm gonna die, I'd rather it not involve coughing up blood
- I tried it once, it was crap

#20 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (El Presedente @ Mar 22 2007, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to piss people off

Erm... maybe you're in the wrong forums tongue.gif

#21 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

I have to say that the Canadian side of things isn't much better. We've had the "OMG LOOK AT ALL THE HORRIBLE THINGS THAT SMOKING DOES TO YOU" ads on the packets for a number of years now, and it has made precisely fuck all of a difference.
We have all the ad campaigns.
The disgusting warnings.
The rapidly mounting costs.
The bans on smoking inside, or around public buildings (you have to be 30 feet away from the doors or something).
None of it makes much difference.

However, my particular favourite warning is one that reads "CIGARETTES CAN MAKE YOU IMPOTENT", which is accompanied by a picture of a flacid cigarette.
Priceless.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I think they could make the entire packet nothing but a giant warning, and people would still buy them. No one even pays them any mind nowadays. It's old hat.

#22 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

Why do people talk about living to 80 like it's an inherently good thing? Do you like incontinence, broken hips and baby food that much?
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#23 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

I am allergic to tobacco. I can't even get near to someone who was smoking five minutes ago. It's the smell. It gives me an instant headache and then I start vomiting my stomach out.

Now ask me what do I think about smoking in public places.

#24 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Yahtzee @ Mar 22 2007, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do people talk about living to 80 like it's an inherently good thing? Do you like incontinence, broken hips and baby food that much?

This is another good point. Denis Leary once said "You can have those years, we don't want 'em." in response to the old "if you quit smoking you could add ___ years to your life" argument. I tend to agree.

Would you like an apology from every smoker in the world for your allergy, Nostaw?
The thing about the whole issue that bothers me is that there are some people who think that those who smoke are out to get them. Like we'll stop at nothing to inconvenience them. I'm sorry you're allergic to tobacco, but that's really no fault of those of us who chose to smoke.

#25 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Mar 22 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing about the whole issue that bothers me is that there are some people who think that those who smoke are out to get them. Like we'll stop at nothing to inconvenience them

The same could be said for smokers. There are some smokers out there who seem to think that all non smokers are out to get them. "I think those adverts are disgusting" tough! thats life, get used to, if death dosn't scare you then deformity damm sure should. And as far as non smokers complain, there wouldn't be these adverts if smoking wasn't so mainstream.

And in my opinion its not about living till your 80, its about not dying in a painfull and rather undignified manner.

This post has been edited by El Presedente: 22 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

#26 User is offline   MAX Acca Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

I don't smoke.

For one thing, my age does not permit me to purchase cigarettes, and two, I'm simply cautious when it comes to things like this.

Cigarettes are simply products that, when used in their intended manner, will kill you.

#27 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (MAX Acca @ Mar 23 2007, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't smoke.

For one thing, my age does not permit me to purchase cigarettes, and two, I'm simply cautious when it comes to things like this.

Cigarettes are simply products that, when used in their intended manner, will kill you.

Informed statement of the fucking year, people
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#28 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Mar 22 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you like an apology from every smoker in the world for your allergy, Nostaw?
The thing about the whole issue that bothers me is that there are some people who think that those who smoke are out to get them. Like we'll stop at nothing to inconvenience them. I'm sorry you're allergic to tobacco, but that's really no fault of those of us who chose to smoke.

I think you've readed too much on what I said. An example from my personal experience would be appropriate:

Once upon a time I was in a bus wich had sealed windows. My seat was near the toilet. Not my choice, of course. Well, and old man decided to smoke inside the toilet, ignoring the very readable "Don't smoke" warning attached to the door of the toilet. That was one of the most embarrassing nights of my life.

Now you ask me if I'd like an apology from every smoker in the world. I say no. Smoke at will, I truly don't care about you. But I'd like an apology from that idiot, not because he was a smoker, and certainly not because of my allergy, but because he was smoking inside a bus with sealed windows.

That's my point: there are some places where one may smoke and some places one may not smoke. Simple like that. Now about myself... Well... Don't smoke near to me or you will probably not finish the cigarette.

#29 User is offline   setasouji Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Yahtzee @ Mar 22 2007, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you like incontinence, broken hips and baby food that much?

Is cancer so much better?

#30 User is offline   Prodian Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (Yahtzee @ Mar 23 2007, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The rate medical science is advancing, by the time I'm 80 I'll have internal artificial organs and a mechanically enhanced musculoskeletal structure...

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size