Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Deflun @ Mar 19 2007, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then
don't
read
them

buddy

Good point.
I don't mind reading your posts. I go to highschool so I am used to bad grammar and poor sentence structure.

#47 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Don Andy @ Mar 18 2007, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am German, but also write all my post here in english. Please do the same.

Wait wait wait, did you just tell him to first become German and then to post in English? wacko.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#48 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Mar 18 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait wait wait, did you just tell him to first become German and then to post in English? wacko.gif

Did it sound like that? xD

No, I don't really want him to become german, it's enough when he starts to talk english.

#49 User is offline   Deflun Icon

• New Cop

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Don Andy @ Mar 18 2007, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is this simple problem. You post in a public forum. A forum everyone can read. If you register in a forum with the intention to post, you expect all the people in the forum to read your posts. Not just specific ones. I am German, but also write all my post here in english. Please do the same.

Also, you kind of adressed me here.

So, if you make crappy posts, it's not me who should ignore them, but rather you who should make them understandable.

wre to du sumthing

and

Where to do something.

you understand them both rite?, the rest, is classy crap i really couldn't care less about.

i write the way i write, and i won't change it just because it's a lil too hard for you to understand what i say.

i don't know you, but i walk by many public places day by day bud, if i see a swastika drawn on a pole or a wall, i ignore it, instead of just staring at it shouting "WHO'S THE RESPONSIBLE OF THIS?"

QUOTE (Prodian @ Mar 18 2007, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point.
I don't mind reading your posts. I go to highschool so I am used to bad grammar and poor sentence structure.

finally, somebody else who doesn't minds being nice to the newcommer who can't speak english that well.

This post has been edited by Deflun: 18 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

#50 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Deflun @ Mar 18 2007, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wre to du sumthing

and

Where to do something.

you understand them both rite?

Actually, no. How should I now "wre" is supposed to be "where"? I can't read minds or something.
But the fact that you ARE capable of spelling a sentence, but are mostly too lazy to do it right, makes the matter even more sad.

QUOTE (Deflun @ Mar 18 2007, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i don't know you, but i walk by many public places day by day bud, if i see a swastika drawn on a pole or a wall, i ignore it, instead of just staring at it shouting "WHO'S THE RESPONSIBLE OF THIS?"

That's because this is a public forum and not a pole or a wall. If I walk past a wall and see something offending, I couldn't care less. If I go into the place where I hang out with friends and other people, and see something offending on the wall, of course I look for the one responsible.

Ugh, that's why I hate that EVERYONE has access to the internet these days.

I could live with the fact that you spell like a 5-year old kid on a typewriter, but so far like all of your posts had little to none sense at all. Beside the one in the Scary-talk thread, I belive.

#51 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Deflun @ Mar 18 2007, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wre to du sumthing

and

Where to do something.

you understand them both rite?

Actually no. I wouldn't have known what the top one meant if you didn't tell me. And I always preach the use of proper spelling and grammer because we have to make sure that the next generation have an appreciations for all the languages around the world. This isn't a text message, you have time to take care with what you write, so take that time.

Other than that, Enjoy your night.

EDIT: Oh snap, Don Andy, you beat me.

This post has been edited by El Presedente: 18 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

#52 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

I think the words you are searching for have already been placed in Mr. Chyld's signature.

QUOTE (Cyzyk)
In any case, one of the things that annoys me most is poor punctuation and capitalization in typing online. Anyone can spell a word like reprehensible wrong when they are in a hurry, but lots of people don't even try to punctuate properly. The big letters ought to be big, and the small letters not. We have periods, commas, and apostrophes for a reason. So use them.

You are typing to communicate. If you can't afford me the courtesy of doing it right, it's the print equivalent of standing too close to me and spitting when you talk.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 18 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#53 User is offline   Deflun Icon

• New Cop

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Don Andy @ Mar 18 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, no. How should I now "wre" is supposed to be "where"? I can't read minds or something.
But the fact that you ARE capable of spelling a sentence, but are mostly too lazy to do it right, makes the matter even more sad.
That's because this is a public forum and not a pole or a wall. If I walk past a wall and see something offending, I couldn't care less. If I go into the place where I hang out with friends and other people, and see something offending on the wall, of course I look for the one responsible.

Ugh, that's why I hate that EVERYONE has access to the internet these days.

I could live with the fact that you spell like a 5-year old kid on a typewriter, but so far like all of your posts had little to none sense at all. Beside the one in the Scary-talk thread, I belive.

looke, you know what buddy?, go learn spanish, and post in a freaking spanish forum a comprehensible thread.

then, come and bitch me about my english, i don't care if you're too much of a bully to go around acting bad ass on the newcomer because he has bad grammar, you're just something to me, not even someone.

i don't care if this is an english forum, i speak the best english i can, and i surely won't go trough a 3 year lesson course just so you will be happy and will look at other mistakes to point out so you look smart.

i really don't give a shit, and honestly won't change just because you say so.

so please, if you're not eager to be friendly with somebody who came here just to meet new friends and have fun, please go fuck yourself, i really had it with smart asses who try to make other people's life a hell just because they have no roots here.

and about what you sayd on "everyone having internet", well, screw you buddy, i wish people like you could hang around real people pointing out theyr bad grammar, see if you can act so bad ass on real life.

This post has been edited by Deflun: 18 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

#54 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hey calm down man, Relax. If you could hear the tones of our voices you'd know we were'nt trying to be nasty. So Lets Just Chill.

I said what I did, not to be nasty but to make a point. I hate to see people abriviate words when they are capable of writing properly, I'm trying to help you, to help the world move away from the whole 'text culture' thats happening at the moment.

We don't mean to bash you because your spanish, well done with the english, I couldn't even handle GCSE french, but we don't want you to blurt out unreadable garble at random, because some people, like AdamM, can't tollerate it, look at Don Andy for an example, he's german, yet he takes his time, spells out each word as it should be, and as far as I'm concerned, he might as well live next door to me in merry old England.

So please don't let yourself get worked up, and people lets all sit back and cool off shall we.

#55 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

Deflun, buddy, calm down. He's not ragging on your English, your English is fine and perfectly comprehensible. Your insistence on using txt-style speech is what is bugging him, and me. I have seen people with much worse English, and understood them, but I rarely understand Internet abbreviations and the like.

So just take a chill pill.

Spread the wub.gif.

EDIT: Damn, Prez beat me to it.

This post has been edited by TheOrator: 18 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#56 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (TheOrator @ Mar 19 2007, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Damn, Prez beat me to it.

I never thought I'd see the day! biggrin.gif

#57 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

Actually, the kids SPAG is quite fine now. Carry on, new kid, you'll be fine.

Everyone else: bring me alcahol. No reason, apart from I want it.

Why are you still here? GO!
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#58 User is offline   Deflun Icon

• New Cop

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

what txt-words?!

#59 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

In hindsight, I see I was getting you confused with someone else.

Although 'wre to du something' is hardly an example of failed translation.

So, I find your English is just fine, for now, and I know it can only get better.

Sorry...[there needs to be a sheepish smiley.]

EDIT: Look at me, forgetting a whole subject pronoun!

This post has been edited by TheOrator: 18 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#60 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Deflun @ Mar 19 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what txt-words?!

Well, It comes in part from the use of text messages in mobile phones, people abriviate to make messages shorter, for example 'see you later' becomes 'c u l8r'. But also sometimes words are changed to how they sound for no apparent reason, for example 'cool' becomes 'kewl'

Text speak is barely justified in messages itsef, but its carried over into emails and forums as well, and that angers many people, because we want to sit down and read something thats written properly, and when people start to abriviate words we feel insulted becsue they havn't taken the time to write a full message, and it gives people the idea that you don't have time for them either. Its not an entirely lateral way of thinking, but it does make sense.

So remember, if your not trying your best to give us a clear message, we can't be expected to respect it. The forum has an edit button for a reason, if you notice you misspelt something go back and correct it, it shows that you care about the people who read your post.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size