walmart..love or loathe it controversy abound the worlds #1 retailer

#31 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Mar 18 2007, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
......companies like Wal-Mart....

really,.um, what other companies does it mention, or does the article simply skip over the others and just attack Wal-Mart?

#32 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Mar 16 2007, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't shop at WalMart, but I've been inside a few of them.

I'll talk about something I know directly, DVDs. Everyone in WalMart ogles that shitty DVD bargain bin, but if you look in it, there isn't anything there you couldn't get at the same price elsewhere, if you wanted to buy it at all (Woo hoo! Summer Rental with John Candy!).

sounds like youve been up there recently,.cause thats exactly whats in walmart's shitty bargain bin,.is John Candy's Summer Rental.,.part of Wal-mart's "how-to-chill-out-WITHOUT-your-friends- during-spring-break-collection" (cause if you invited your friends over to chill out with you in your living room, and popped that crappy flick in your DVD drive, youre pretty much asking for your drunkest friend to break their beer bottle over your head)

Now if Wal-Mart had any of the Cheech and Chong movies in that bin,.well, that would be an entirely different story now, wouldnt it? biggrin.gif

I wish I could say summer rental was a kick-ass movie, but Rip Taylor and John Candy just dont mix. Come to think of it, they both suck. John Candy only looked somewhat good in a movie when he starred with Tom Hanks in Splash, but even that flick is dated. (Note: this film is one of American Pie Eugene Levy's earliest works)

hey, what are we talking about here?..Walmart? or the crappy movies they carry in their shuffle bin?
Peter Brady was by far the ugliest Brady kid on the "Brady Bunch". I mean, they were all pretty ugly, and the fact that the Brady dad wanted to always take the boys out on overnight camping trips just a tad bit too often, gave me the creeps.

#33 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (blueoceans @ Mar 19 2007, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
really,.um, what other companies does it mention, or does the article simply skip over the others and just attack Wal-Mart?

I am thinking of any company that tries to take over your land. It does mention Target.
I haven't seen the size of these two stores because I am no way near one but I don't want to see the size of my house shrink being near to one.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 19 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

#34 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

I know this was done during Christmas, but Im just not sure which year it was done.

One Christmas (which is the only time Wal-Mart ever closes its doors to the general public), Wal-mart's CEO instructed that every Wal-Mart store remove its rather large signs in their stores.

The large signs that used to say: "You MUST be 100% satisfied,.Our policy guarantees it"

I looked for those signs the other day at wal-mart,..they are no where to be found.

i found this article on msnbc to be of interest:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8063563/
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#35 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

Working for Wal-Mart for several years, I hate that store with a passion that flares. I'm glad to be gone. The scheduling and vacation availability was horrible, benefits towards part time workers, or full-timers who were there for less than 5 years (I assume) were next to nothing, and not to mention they have a 'No Quit' policy. A NO QUIT policy! How stupid is that?

It was one of the most disorganized places I have ever worked at (in terms of the employeee treatment, not the treatment towards customers - but again in some cases this is also true), and I am amazed, stunned, and appalled that it is considered one of the best companies to work for.

... but hey! At least the pay was good.

EDIT - I forgot to mention the fact that because I'm in Canada, it kind of irked me when at the interview we had to watch a bunch of propaganda cassettes (like the history of Wal-Mart, why it's so successful, etc.), and all of them stressed how "Wal-Mart was as Amercian as apple pie" (in quotes because that is exactly what they said).. no mention of Canada whatsoever. Now that's respect!

This post has been edited by looktothesky: 30 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#36 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (looktothesky @ Mar 30 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was one of the most disorganized places I have ever worked at (in terms of the employeee treatment, not the treatment towards customers - but again in some cases this is also true), and I am amazed, stunned, and appalled that it is considered one of the best companies to work for.

Everything looks better from a CEO éminence grise's point of view...

Edit: ('s that even the right word order? I always get so confuzzled when it comes to mixing English with French...)

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 30 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#37 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

"You MUST be 100% satisfied. Our policy guarantees it including your land excluding this message."

No quit policy? Does that mean that they can still take someone to court for walking out on bullying or harassment from higher positions?

How about if someone was given a sack?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 30 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

#38 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Mar 30 2007, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No quit policy? Does that mean that they can still take someone to court for walking out on bullying or harassment from higher positions?

How about if someone was given a sack?

Court? No. But quitting is 'frowned upon' in that store like you wouldn't believe. The policy sounds a lot more scary than it is. It's basically the store manager sitting you down, and talking to you about why you're quitting, what they can improve... but it's the tone of how they talk to you. They try to coax you into them keeping your information so they can rehire you, or they try to trap you so that you'll return to work in the future.

The first time I quit I went through that crap, and they kept my information if I came back (I eventually did, though, which was a big mistake). The second time I quit, I didn't even bother to go to the meeting - amid all the calls from the manager.

One thing that really bothered me about that place is how they talked to you about working at the store - even though I'm a student, me and my friends would be spoken to as if we were staying there for our whole lives as a career. Gross.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#39 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

That sounds like verbal manipulation in persuading with low expectations.

That behaviour reminds me of an experience with switching gas companies. They asked questions about leaving, what they could do to improve and they still send letters boasting about their low rates.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 30 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

#40 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

i also hate how wal-mart insists on periodically,(or sometimes frequently) inspects every customer's bag upon exiting their stores. you have to fish out your receipt and present to the wal-mart greeter. (thats right!..the same old fart that greeted you 30 minutes ago warmly saying "welcome to wal-mart",..is now indirectly implying that you may be a friggin thief!!)

i know this is done to prevent theft, but why doesnt every store do this then? it never happens at target, ross, kmart, etc.

one would think that the world's #1 retailer would have the financial resources to implement a rigid and high-tech survelliance system that would deter theivery, and not have to resort to checking every customer's bag,..making the customer feel like a criminal every time. .....one would be sorely mistaken.

QUOTE (looktothesky @ Mar 30 2007, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and not to mention they have a 'No Quit' policy. A NO QUIT policy! How stupid is that?

i would just abandon my job..screw all that mess with the whack meeting.

This post has been edited by blueoceans: 03 April 2007 - 01:22 AM

#41 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

i recently enrolled at a fitness club/gym, a rather nice one i might add, complete with various workout machines, swimming pool, sauna, showers, pilates, basketball court, yoga, etc etc.

they also have racquetball courts too.

however, you have to supply your own rackets, balls, and goggles.

so, i decided to go to walmart to get these supplies,

i found the racket & balls with no problem

i also found a pair of nice goggles i liked too, the goggles are made by "Head", and are lightweight, comfy, stylish,..perfect..i wanted them.

seems like everything was going fine for me...until i got to the register.

when the clerk tried to scan the goggles, the upc wasnt listed,.so he tried typing it in...still nothing.

his response: "we cant sell you the goggles, because i cant find the price listed in our system"

me: "i really want those goggles!!, can you charge me what you think they may be worth? they look like they would range between about $8.00 and $12.00. I saw a competitor pair of goggles that were priced at $7.99, made by wilson. i didnt like the wilson goggles, cause they didnt fit as comfy as the head goggles did, so i really want these head goggles instead."

clerk: "Im sorry, i cant sell them to you, because i cant find the price, and i cant charge you any made up price, not knowing how much these goggles would have actually cost. IF you want to come back in about 7 hours, our inventory dept should have the price logged into our system by then,.so just come back by later and buy them, they will be logged into our system by then"

me: "IM HERE NOW,.and i want to buy them now. why should i have to be inconvienced by having to come back to the store?,.im the customer here. Look, im even willing to pay you even $20.00 for them,.im sure that dont cost that much, but it would save me from having to run over town looking for another place that carries them."

Clerk: "we still cant sell you the goggles"

me: "wait, you said the price wasnt in YOUR system?,.what if i called another walmart store nearby to see if the goggles are in their system?,.would you ring me up whatever price the other store rep quotes you by phone?"

Clerk: "sometimes items vary slightly in price from store to store"

me: "but that would at least give you a ballpark figure"

Me: "look, i really want these goggles,..Im going back to the gym tomorrow, and i want to play racquetball,..i dont want to have to come back to this store again, when i am here now,..the product is on your store shelve,.youre a business,.im a customer,..i want the product, and youre flat out denying me the purchase,..its insane...even considering the fact, im willing to pay you right now for way more than i know what they would cost...im quite sure."

clerk: "again,.theres nothing i can do,.its beyond our controll"

i left walmart disgusted,..and i am sitting here on this computer, and i accessed walmart.com to see just how much these damn goggles cost..

well,.i didnt find the goggles at all on walmart.com..amazing...not only was the goggles not in the stores database, its not even in their national database.

how the heck did these goggles get into the store???..

ok, for you folks wanting to know about the goggles i am bitching about,.its these,.i did find them at sports authority.com

http://www.sportsaut...rentPage=family

guess i will have to go there...by the way,..at sports authorty,they are $29.99
Peter Brady was by far the ugliest Brady kid on the "Brady Bunch". I mean, they were all pretty ugly, and the fact that the Brady dad wanted to always take the boys out on overnight camping trips just a tad bit too often, gave me the creeps.

#42 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

I would definitely recommend going to a real sports store for sports gear over Wal*Mart any day of the week.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#43 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

I wouldn't. It depends on the sports gear. Sports stores jack up the prices like nobody's business. I'd actually recommend something like PlayItAgain Sports, unless you're really hardcore into whatever it is and need it new; in which case I'd check Wal*Mart for some things, and yeah, go directly to the Sports Stores for other things. But used sports gear stores will often have stuff that's almost brand new, just because someone decided they wanted to try something, bought the gear, and then found out they didn't like it after trying it once. Or needed a water-skiing jacket thing for one vacation, and then didn't have a use for it anymore. That kind of thing. But racquetball goggles, I know nothing about. The few times I've played racquetball, we were too stupid to use any safety equipment... Fun times.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#44 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

$29.99? See, the clerk was right not to sell it to you. All the same, they should have been able to find a manager who could look up the price for you. Serves you right though for being there in the first place.

Wal-Mart sucks.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#45 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

Then for that it would be:

Wasting at loosing Money and reliable timing

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 19 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size