• +

walmart..love or loathe it controversy abound the worlds #1 retailer

#16 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Mar 16 2007, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Little appreciation or respect given to the unfortunate Native Americans who shed blood sweat and tears to make our dreams happen, mind you.

That's a load of crap and you know it.

That may have been the case, but it isn't anymore. My teachers have totally burned me out on Indians from talking about them so much.

And they weren't exactly nicey-nices, either.

And naturally, as all arguments must, this one, about the validity of Wal*Mart, has progressed to the sins of our fathers. Well, my heritage my well lie in taking land from others. It also lies in believing in God, leaving Sweden, leaving England, and growing up in years that aren't this one.

I do none of those things.

Well stop bringing up the past, actions of our ancestors, to point out apparent hypocrisy.

What, do you want me to give the land back?
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#17 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Mar 16 2007, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They call it land of the free but not if you are black.

Similar principle in that capitalist translation: White skin good black skin bad.
For WalMart I'll repeat my definitions here:

WalMart:

Where All Liars Meet And Rob Towns

WalMart And Lawmakers Manage Area Repossession Takeovers

WalMart Attempt Land Milking At Resident's Turfs

errr,..deepsycher,..this isnt the "tease a name thread"
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#18 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

No, but he's using his newfound passion for name teasing in a relevant and rather apt way.

I have no problem with Wal*Mart, per se, but I much prefer Target.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#19 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (TheOrator @ Mar 16 2007, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And they weren't exactly nicey-nices, either.

well obviously. i dont think id be very happy either if someone just barged into my home and started kicking me and my loved ones out. what did you expect the natives to do? roll out the red carpet?
Peter Brady was by far the ugliest Brady kid on the "Brady Bunch". I mean, they were all pretty ugly, and the fact that the Brady dad wanted to always take the boys out on overnight camping trips just a tad bit too often, gave me the creeps.

#20 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

Those words were selected by the definition I see on Walmart taking over land.

To give back to the land? A bible that says nobody should be killed.

Okay I am not happy with many stores that sell cheap shoddy items from China except this one is intrusive for land grabbing. That is all I can say for now about land grabbing.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 16 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

#21 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:13 AM

Deepsycher, in the film RAINMAN, Tom Cruises's character say something to the effect of "Repeat after me. K-Mart sucks." My line there was a paraphrase of that film. It happened to follow your post, but had nothing to do with you. No need for you to be offended by it, especially since, unlike Dustin HOffman's character in that film, you hadn't just insisted that you should shop at Wal Mart (he insists on shopping at K-Mart). You had said that you had no WalMart near you, so there wouldn't be a need to tell you that it sucks. You're not going to shop there anyway.

No, the "WalMart sucks" comment was for folks in general. WalMart sucks; whether it's a bad company or not is irrelevant.

So again DS, I wan't insulting you, so you can relax. For the record though, Rainman wasn't a retard, he was autistic. If you want to be offended, don't be offensive at the same time.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#22 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:03 AM

I know he had brain a deformality. In my area they class a retard as someone either being backward or autistic. I remember the bit about the "don't walk" lights but it is a shame what happened in the end when he went back to the care home I think.

Well I am sorry for mis interpreting your post. I got teased with quotes like that a long time ago.

Now like how WalMart is raking money for cheapness I question if the care homes are doing the same.

#23 User is offline   sesame_street_hustler Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

its like, everybody wants to attack walmart cause their stores are so super-ass huge and say they sell cheap stuff.

but lowes and home depot are some big stores too that take up lotta room...aint nobody griping about that though.

the world is a game of players & pawns with everyone striving to be the king

#24 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

Well I think of that as customer choice. Sometimes it is good to be paranoid. I see a lot of giant stores selling cheap products but my main concern here is not because of that. My concern is if a business starts to take over your land legally what would you do?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 17 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

#25 User is offline   sesame_street_hustler Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

its not just businesses tho, the government and military do it just as well..with that immenent domain law, or whatever its called

#26 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

For economic growth and that is including malls.

Taking people's land without paying for it is stealing and to call it legal I class that as a form of dictatorship no different to the days of a monarch in England when the King owns all the land and hands some of it down to the barons who then rent plots of it out which is becoming more like paying tax.

#27 User is offline   sesame_street_hustler Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:19 AM

but are they usually given a fair value for their land thats wanted?...if not, its almost like stealing...short-changing someone

i wish i could have bought Manhattan Island for $24.00

#28 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

I don't remember about value being mentioned but I'll find and double check on the articles I found. It is a while ago and I did see the word "evicted" from slums I think in some of the stories.

#29 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (sesame_street_hustler @ Mar 18 2007, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but are they usually given a fair value for their land thats wanted?...if not, its almost like stealing...short-changing someone

i wish i could have bought Manhattan Island for $24.00

Oh yeah? I'll outbid you. Twenty-FIVE bucks for Manhattan Island.

Does anyone else think it's funny that all the ads are advertising Native American-related merchandise now?
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#30 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Okay it has taken me a while to find some supporting articles:

From CNN/Money:

The Supreme Court's decision Thursday clarified that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses -- even against their will -- for private and public economic development.
[...]
"Wal-Mart and Target have both been criticized for their eminent domain use," said Burt Flickinger, a consultant with the Strategic Resources Group.

Meanwhile, eminent domain opponents called the high court ruling a "big blow for small businesses."

While companies like Wal-Mart have been using eminent domain to seize private land in the past, this is a big step in the wrong direction, and means that nobody is safe from Wal-Mart anymore.

If your town wants a Wal-Mart and your house is in the way, you better start looking for a new house or better start working to keep Wal-Mart out.

http://blog.wakeupwa..._home_isnt.html

Obviously other companies are doing it.
My thoughts on Customer choice:
If you fatten up a pig it becomes big.
As above if you fatten up a market so much it wants so much more space.
So that depends on the amount of customers feeding it and the type of food it is being fed.

The definition of seize according to a dictionary:

(1) to take by force; to capture.

(2) to take legal possession of someone or something.

(3) to take or grab suddenly, eagerly or forcibly.

Now I couldn't find anything before about the government buying houses from landowners.

"It's a little shocking to believe you can lose your home in this country," said resident Bill Von Winkle, who said he would keep fighting the bulldozers in his working-class neighborhood. "I won't be going anywhere. Not my house. This is definitely not the last word."

Under the ruling, residents still will be entitled to "just compensation" for their homes as provided under the Fifth Amendment. However, Kelo and the other homeowners had refused to move at any price, calling it an unjustified taking of their property.

http://www.foxnews.c...,160479,00.html

Just compensation? What kind of compensation? House market value or in what ratio to that?

In other words it sounds like the government is saying that they are more equal than you for serving the "mass majority" "so we don't need to take it through the proper channels on asking first if we can purcahse that land from the owners."

We're too busy in profiteering out of "public use" so instead by force we'll suddenly capture your land eagerly and add you to some victims list for compensation.

Correct me if you think I got it wrong.

Also on my findings I found an interesting article about China and the land laws there which I might point out later in Own land bad Rent land good.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 18 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size