• +

Console video games that suck games to avoid playing buying or renting

#16 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (varyssa @ Mar 10 2007, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Silent Hill was great and still is. Vagrant Story is even better, and anyone who didn't play and love Driver can't be a human being at all. Enough said about FF and Metal Gear already. I bow before the great Slime, as he seems to have played ALL PS1 games to judge that "nearly all" are crap. Oh, or includes "nearly every game on a playstation console" all PS2 games as well? Oh boy....

Biting sarcasm, this is getting fun. I'm surprised I haven't learnt about making broad generalizing statements by now. As for the 'playstation console' comment, I will say that was a mistake. I was trying to distance myself from the Playstaion 2, as I had lost a lot of faith in Sony by then and didn't pay it much heed. Though I don't know how relevent my opinion is, as I'm apparantly not human. My memories of Driver conisist solely of trying to get some stupid license before the game would actually start, though I may be getting confused with Grand Turismo. But before anybody gets upset about my dismissal of Driver or GT, take into account that I prefer GTA and GTA2 over the third installment. Infact, the only other racing games I've ever actually liked were the Mario Kart games, Wacky Wheels, the first two Test Drive games (never played 3, didn't like 4) and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2. Wow, I'm getting sidetracked here.

QUOTE (blueoceans @ Mar 10 2007, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But why attack just the playstation console? By your logic and reason, that would pretty much apply to any console that was released. Some more than others. I can think of other consoles that had worse titles released for them than Sony's Playstation. Atari Jaguar, anyone?

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Mar 10 2007, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Difference is that Atari Jaguar didn't sell a million bajillionity units, so it's not going to take much flak, is it?

Pretty much as Floppydisk said. The PSX managed to crush a large amount of my faith in humanity by vastly outselling the N64, despite the N64 having a significantly higher gold:shit ratio. It tends to lead me to be rather bitter on the subject, and make over-reaching statements likely to cause more trouble then they're worth. So, in summation, crappy console games abound and in my opinion the PSX has more then it's fair share considering it's popularity.

Now I'm going to apologise for wrenching this topic way off course, and return it to it's rails by saying that Spyro the Dragon was a console game that sucked. All you did was run around and collect crystals. That was it. There was no variety to it, each level was just collect the crystals. The only part of the game that differed was the final boss battle, which was absolutly pathetic. The giant thing that had managed to freeze all the dragons (save Spyro) and was supposed to be incredibly fearsome was in fact an utter coward. His entire method of attack was to run away from you and hope you fell in the lava. If you managed to keep up and charge him from behind 3 times he gave up. It was just so pathetic I would have felt sorry for him, but I was busy feeling sorry for myself for playing the game.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#17 User is offline   Egfu Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Everything nerdy. Excluding Star Trek and anime.

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Mar 10 2007, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Difference is that Atari Jaguar didn't sell a million bajillionity units, so it's not going to take much flak, is it?
You're terrible, Yoshi's Island is one of the best platformers ever! It's primarily a puzzle game though, so if you're into traditional Mario and Sonic stuff I can see how you wouldn't be attracted to it.

Mario's ear-piercing screams still haunt me in my dreams, though.

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Mar 10 2007, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My memories of Driver conisist solely of trying to get some stupid license before the game would actually start, though I may be getting confused with Grand Turismo.

Heh, I remember that license test. I bet a lot of people never even got past that thing. It gets better when you're driving in the streets with a horde of cops following you.

Now I'm going to apologise for wrenching this topic way off course, and return it to it's rails by saying that Spyro the Dragon was a console game that sucked. All you did was run around and collect crystals. That was it. There was no variety to it, each level was just collect the crystals. The only part of the game that differed was the final boss battle, which was absolutly pathetic. The giant thing that had managed to freeze all the dragons (save Spyro) and was supposed to be incredibly fearsome was in fact an utter coward. His entire method of attack was to run away from you and hope you fell in the lava. If you managed to keep up and charge him from behind 3 times he gave up. It was just so pathetic I would have felt sorry for him, but I was busy feeling sorry for myself for playing the game.

You should've played Spyro 3. That game had several playable characters, different minigames, better level designs and just lots of variety in general. And ninja rhinos. Can't forget about the ninja rhinos.
"When I was five, my uncle was decapitated by a watermelon."

#18 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

That wasnt the only difference...The Playstation wasnt based on cartridges-which usually cost more to produce than CD-Roms. Since Sony dropped its licensing fees for developers, you had a ton of cheap games come out for it with generic titles like: "Tennis", and "Chess" (lets not forget about those hideous "Special Ops" military games either). The Jaguar did make some strong efforts to create decent titles and acquired licensing from well-known entities, such as "Alien vs. Predator", "Troy Aikman Football" and "Doom". The Jaguar did have a few decent games, but there werent enough of them made, so it died.

The Atari Jaguar on the other hand simply didnt have near the 3rd party support that Sony had, but even if Atari had that advantage, the games would have still cost more, unless Atari decided to make full use of its Jaguar CD, and release games for it. Its possible that the Jaguar could have done much better than it fared. It lacked getting enough support, and getting the right talent to keep it afloat in the marketplace to avoid its rather quick demise.

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Mar 10 2007, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My memories of Driver conisist solely of trying to get some stupid license before the game would actually start, though I may be getting confused with Grand Turismo. But before anybody gets upset about my dismissal of Driver or GT, take into account that I prefer GTA and GTA2 over the third installment. Infact, the only other racing games I've ever actually liked were the Mario Kart games, Wacky Wheels, the first two Test Drive games (never played 3, didn't like 4) and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2.

sounds like youve never played Ridge Racer IV, my friend. Youre definetely correct about the Driver initial garage test thing, GT should have never put that in there. Maybe its just me, but I hate games that force you to complete several tasks to see if you have what it takes to play the rest of the game..or even start playing the true game itself for that matter. Skill should be acquired gradually as youre playing the actual game itself, not the reverse.

#19 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

The PSX managed to crush a large amount of my faith in humanity by vastly outselling the N64, despite the N64 having a significantly higher gold:shit ratio. It tends to lead me to be rather bitter on the subject, and make over-reaching statements likely to cause more trouble then they're worth. So, in summation, crappy console games abound and in my opinion the PSX has more then it's fair share considering it's popularity.

Considering its popularity?,.well, yeah... A console is going to have more "popularity",.err (translation:more consumers purchasing the hardware & software) if many of the games released cost less and especially if they are of better quality.

Nintendo messed up with the N64 by sticking to cartridges, which in turn caused high production costs and limited the amount of storage each game could have (remember that Donkey Kong 64 expansion pak?). When Nintendo decided to take this route, Squaresoft dropped them immediately and many other developers like Capcom and Konami seldom released titles for the N64 in comparison to the PSone.

Nintendo's effort was to prevent games from being copied, but they ended up having many games on their system that no one wanted to copy. Most of the best games on the N64 were either released by Nintendo or RARE. There were numerous titles on the N64 that were released by Acclaim and Midway, so you could say that there wasnt enough 3rd party support for the N64, and not enough quality games being released for it to justify the N64's higher price tag for games.

Dont be mad at me though,.I own both the Psone and the N64, and I enjoy each system for their individual attributes.

This post has been edited by blueoceans: 10 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

#20 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

Spyro the Dragon was a console game that sucked. All you did was run around and collect crystals. That was it. There was no variety to it, each level was just collect the crystals. The only part of the game that differed was the final boss battle, which was absolutly pathetic. The giant thing that had managed to freeze all the dragons (save Spyro) and was supposed to be incredibly fearsome was in fact an utter coward. His entire method of attack was to run away from you and hope you fell in the lava. If you managed to keep up and charge him from behind 3 times he gave up. It was just so pathetic I would have felt sorry for him, but I was busy feeling sorry for myself for playing the game.

Spyro the Dragon sucked?,.but what are you comparing this to?. I'll admit that the Spyro franchise certainly didnt hold any benchmarks for intriguing gameplay mechanics. Sony's Spryo was created much in the same vein as Namco's Klonoa,.which being they were designed with a younger audience in mind. It would be like playing Sesame Streets Numbers and Letters , and throwing your controller in anger at your television set, because you shelled out X-amount of dollars, and didnt get a game that fully challenged you.

You are saying that Spryo sucked because all you did was run around and collect crystals,..well,..for a teenager,.or even adult..this wouldnt be challenging at all, in fact, most in this age range would probably play Spyro just to pass some time, not because they wanted a true gut-wrenching challenge. But ask any 4-year old, and they will tell you Spyro presents them with a real challenge every time.

#21 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

Dude, there's the EDIT button...

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

I always put Spyro in the same class as, say, Banjo-kazooie. Bother games were 3D platform games with a very kiddy content that were released about the same time on opposing consoles. Banjo-Kazooie involved a lot of "find all the notes" quests, but it also had a lot of variety. Each of the jigsaw pieces had different challenges to overcome to collect. Spyro was nothing but a spew of repetition from start to finish. Just because a game is made so that a younger audience can play it doesn't mean that it should be repetitive beyond all reason.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Mar 10 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, there's the EDIT button...

what are you suggesting that I edit?

#24 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

It can be used to merge 3 posts into one, though it's not that irritating when you write a shorter novel with every post, it's just my nature of fucking with people over the 'net whenever I can. dry.gif

#25 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

But then again,..isnt each Final Fantasy a complete a different story from each other?

No.

I think Halo is really over-rated, but I don't think it sucks, and I can't think of a list right now. I will later, perhaps!
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#26 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (blueoceans @ Mar 10 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of the best games on the N64 were either released by Nintendo or RARE. There were numerous titles on the N64 that were released by Acclaim and Midway, so you could say that there wasnt enough 3rd party support for the N64, and not enough quality games being released for it to justify the N64's higher price tag for games.

Dont be mad at me though,.I own both the Psone and the N64, and I enjoy each system for their individual attributes.

Hear, hear. I own both consoles as well, and all of the 'good' games for my N64 were made by Nintendo or RARE (save for Resident Evil 2). I like N64 for it's multiplayer games like MarioKart and Mario Tennis, but for single player I leaned more towards the Psone.

Console games that suck, though? Owning a Dreamcast, I can say a LOT of the games for that console weren't very good, like Blue Stinger, Illbleed, Ooga Booga, and Virtual On. Awful, awful games. lol.

EDIT - Oof. And OUTRIGGER, that game was horrible.

This post has been edited by looktothesky: 13 March 2007 - 09:10 AM

PRECIOUS VELIUS....

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size