Chefelf.com Night Life: I Want To Wear My Glasses And I CAN Wear My Glasses - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

I Want To Wear My Glasses And I CAN Wear My Glasses Thursday, March 1, 2007

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

A year ago I went to the eye doctor for the first time in about six or seven years. I was curious as to what my vision was like. While I didn't notice any major differences in my sight I figured it was probably a good thing to do since I paid for vision insurance. My doctor informed me that my vision was still nearly perfect and that I had a "teensy tiny little prescription." His words, not mine. He said it probably wasn't worth filling it.

Last week I returned for my now annual checkup and my doctor said that there had been no change in the past year and that I still had the tiniest possible prescription. The thing is, in the last year I have noticed a definite dip in my vision. I think I've noticed it because I've been taking advantage of my Zipcar membership more now than ever. On long drives I notice that I can't quite read the street signs as far off in the distance as I was able to in my teenage years. My father and I would sometimes play a game (him in the front seat, me in the back) where we'd see who could read the sign first. We were pretty evenly matched, him with a strong eyeglass prescription and me without.

I was sure that my sight was probably not what if could be. My doctor told me that it was my call. If I wanted to have glasses I could get them but I could do without them if I chose so. So I decided to get glasses. The doctor said, if nothing else, they would help me with seeing distance on the rare occasions that I am driving.

Today I went down the vision care shop (or whatever they call it) and picked up my glasses. I had it planned that I would try on the glasses when I got on the street and that I'd be able to see the signs in the far distance with a little bit more clarity. However, I put them on in the well lit office first to try them out. In front of me was a giant poster for some sort of eyewear that was about the size of a movie poster. It had giant print on it with letters about four or five inches tall. I couldn't believe how much clearer the letters became after putting the glasses on. I had to lift the glasses off my nose, up and down a few times to get a better comparison. And this poster was only about eight feet away.

When I got out onto the street I focused in on a restaurant awning a block away. I had walked by it a million times so I knew what it said but it was a little fuzzy. When I put the glasses on I could read it perfectly. I couldn't believe it.

Holy shit. I could see!

I realize now that this is exactly what everyone who's ever had to get glasses has gone through but I was blown away. I couldn't believe it. How could it have been so much worse than I thought. I was convinced that maybe my eyesight was actually fine and perhaps my doctor gave me some extra help with some super glasses that magnified my already perfect vision. Sadly, I don't think this is the case. I guess it's just part of getting older. Now that I've got thirty in my sights (pun not intended... or is it?) this is just another step towards becoming an old man.

I also went to bed at 10:30 last night which is completely average for the past two months.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

I like the part where the new glasses-wearer (like me, when I first got 'em) looked down at the ground & was all, like, "WOAH! Back off, there, sidewalk! You can't sneak up on me!"

(because the ground seems so much closer, because of the vision correction, donchaknow).

#3 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

Wait till they get dirty and when you start to notice the smudges after cleaning under light.

#4 User is offline   Cemetery guy Icon

• Chefelf's Dad
  • Pip

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

WELL, WELL, WELL

Another of my genes has reared its ugly head, can baldness be far behind.

#5 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

I think it's interesting that you went to a check-up to find out what your vision was like. Who would know better than you?

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Cemetery guy @ Mar 1 2007, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WELL, WELL, WELL

Another of my genes has reared its ugly head, can baldness be far behind.

Simply look at a picture of your scalp at thirty and mine and you will have your answer. I have a nice thick head of hair... like a young George Hamilton.

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Mar 2 2007, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's interesting that you went to a check-up to find out what your vision was like. Who would know better than you?

Well it's so gradual, you see. I knew it was slight but I had no idea how the doctor defined 'slight.'
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

That reminds me, need to get my eyes looked at soon, just in case and all. Although I'm more concerned about being practically half-deaf really...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#8 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

Heheh, welcome to the club! I had that very same reaction when I got my first pair at eleven...and about a dozen more times after that when my eyes got worse. Isn't it fun? Although, I guess you're too old now to get that rush of joy from saying, "Front row desk? Haha! Not for me, thanks! I'll be sitting in the back of the room taking notes today!" all puffed-up and proud like.

Just be glad you didn't have anyone with you to start singing, "I can see cleeeear-ly noooow that the raaaain iiis gooooooooone!"*

*No, I couldn't punch them in the face because it was my mother.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#9 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

I too just got glasses this year. (I had noticed that while I was working at the computer I was getting a headache...)

So I have a pair that I'm to use "When you are in front of the computer, or...... whenever you feel like you want to."

I too have gone through the Glasses/No Glasses comparison with many many things and have been amazed.

One note though, when I take them off, I need to give my eyes a little time to adjust to not having them on. Right afterwards things are more fuzzy than usual, but in a few minutes that all goes back to the only slightly fuzzy world I normally live in tongue.gif

-steve

#10 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

I wish I never wore glasses and regret on spending a history of all day on the computer. A document I watched stated that the problem on seeing blurry spots after spending a long time on the screen is due to muscle strain on looking at a close surface for too long. After pulling away, the surface of the eye becomes loose until blinking. I looked in the mirror and it is true.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 02 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

#11 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

I have a HUGE prescription, and got my first pair of pop-bottle glasses when I was 5. (However, I've had contacts for a while now.) But I still remember being amazed when I looked at a tree in my glasses for the first time. I thought everyone just saw a big clump of green on a trunk. I remember soon after I got my glasses, I drew a typical kindergarten picture of a house with my family and when I drew in the tree, I drew tons of individual leaves. tongue.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#12 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

And so the circle's finally closed, eh? smile.gif

Can't say that I could share the experience. I mostly see with my left eye, which happens to have 100%. My right, well, that's another story, but every time I went to the doctor, they just made me look through some testing lenses, telling me that I should shout if they improved the picture or not. Well, none of them really did. Funny, but meh, who cares. My left eye's dedicated to reality now, while my right tries to see things from a blurred perspective. Pretty neat effect, if I might say so. tongue.gif

Now did anyone see my car keys? unsure.gif

Edit: Or my car, for that matter? pinch.gif

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 03 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#13 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

Ooooh...you could wear a monocle!

Then you could slick your hair back, grow a moustache, and sit around in a housecoat saying things like, "Hm. Quite."

You know, that was much funnier before I typed it out...
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#14 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

mellow.gif

Now why didn't I think of that before?

Hm. I shall ponder on that matter, Miss Sherwood. Ho~hum.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#15 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

You fool! Thats how every one gets stuck with glasses. Technically speaking every one could use them and see the detail in trees from not to far away. (first thing I noticed)

Take them off and don't wear them, I have a theory they make your eyes worse. Don't become dependent on them, once the novelty wears off they become a pain in the ass, then you'll want contacts, and then one day laser eye surgery.

If you have a tiny correction and the only thing you need help with is signs, for the love of God remove them off your face and be merry and happy. You can live without that crystal clarity. I'm serious too, those glasses will screw your eyes, so when you take them off things will be blurry and then everything goes down hill from there.

I"m dead serious.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 05 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size