• +
  • Last »

pet peeves we all have them..what is yours

#31 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

Hey, don't knock The Post. Sure, he doesn't have any brains(as shown when the cobblestone was removed from his skull), but he still knows where Pharod lives.

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 28 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#32 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:59 PM

Gobbler: I was under the impression that your umlaut formed the long U sound, such as in über. I'm glad I entertained you, but if you were being insulting I'll have to use the flashy thing I don't have to make your post look crazy. pinch.gif
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#33 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:38 PM

laugh.gif No worries lad, it's all in good fun. I think the phonetic script equivalent of ü would be something like yˈ, I guess. Pretty far away from the long uː. geek.gif

Edit: Note to self - don't use italics on phonetic script characters.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 28 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#34 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

I have a pet peeve, and before I begin..Im not trying to offend anyone on here, the pet peeve is rather disgusting in its form, so I try my best to describe this as mildly-mannered as I best know how.

Pet Peeve: You walk into a public restroom, and its totally clean..its prestine,.spotless,.it shines and sparkles..everything LOOKS clean to you...but you take one whiff, and the odor knocks you back 2 weeks in time. If these people have these type of issues, they should carry cans of Lysol on them as a courtesy to the next guest who enters.

sick.gif wacko.gif
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#35 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

My pet peeve is people that take their jobs too seriously. One of the managers at work is like this. "Blargh, blargh, work harder, we must get more customers, blargh blargh. Why isn't this done, fix it." It's amazing that one can demand people making seven dollars an hour to take their jobs seriously. But don't worry, we've begun to unionize.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#36 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

Oh where to begin with such a long list? Let's just start with the ones I immediately notice.

1. When I go on spelling a word for an extended amount of time, only to discover that I've been spelling it wrong and have to retrain myself how to do it correctly. (I just realized I've been spelling "separate" and "serial" with an extra "e" instead of an "a" for a few weeks now.)

2. Fuzzy mouse roller wheels, or dust sticking to other rubbery surfaces I can't rinse off with water.

3. Hair stuck between my ears and the legs of my glasses. It just makes this sound and has this feel to it when the glasses move that I can't stand.

4. People using the word "at" to finish a sentence.

5. Southern drawls. And if you'll take a look at my location, I will answer your unspoken question and say that yes, I am annoyed all the time. Especially on the occasions when such an irritating noise comes out of my own mouth.

6. When I misspell, or forget how to spell, simple, random words.

7. ...Being to tired to think of any decent or impressive vocabulary words when I really need to. Or make a good list. Like right now.

I have OCD, so the list could really go on and on as long as I could consciously identify each compulsion and/or trigger. And since I missed the "OCD as a noun and adjective" part, I just want to add the question, "What about ADD/ADHD?" here. Nobody says, "I'm AD/ADH." Ever. Not even in published text. It's pretty much accepted as both a noun and adjective, despite the fact that it's technically just a noun. Does that bother you?
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#37 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

Well, it does now. angry.gif

I never really noticed it before, but now it will be like that damn arrow in the Fed Ex logo. I see it even there, in the typed letters!

DAMN YOU SPOON POETIC!

Oh well.

You did give me a fair warning, after all.

But yes, thanks a whole lot, Jane!

EDIT2:

Nobody says, "I'm AD/ADH." Ever. Not even in published text.

That is because you'd have to be a complete and utter moron to say 'I'm Attention Deficit Hyperactivity' in lieu of 'I'm Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.'

And why, why, must people say ATM MACHINE??????????

WHY???

This post has been edited by TheOrator: 06 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#38 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:40 PM

Because that's what they're called? unsure.gif Or is it? I'm pretty sure that my dictionary agrees... unsure.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#39 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:45 PM

I'm afraid, Mr Gobbler, ATM itself stands for 'Automated Teller Machine.'

So saying ATM Machine is like saying 'Automated Teller Machine Machine.'

Like saying 'PIN Number.'

Personal Identification Number...Number.

That's like saying "I got it on CD disc."

Or "It just came out on DVD disc."

So that is considerably silly.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."

-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#40 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

Oh, so that's how it is. Hm. Who cares.

#41 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

Just us persnickety English freaks, my good sir. wink.gif

Most people find us to be quite annoying.

I usually enjoy it. devil.gif

But your point of view is understandable.

Certainly, however, would you correct someone who said, 'PM message me the link"?

Or at least laugh at how wrong they are?

EDIT: I was caught unawares. It totally sneaked up on me. I had no idea this was coming. But there shall be rejoicing, for I have just posted:

POST NUMBER 100!!!!!!!!

EDIT2: Ah, and a shiny new rank. Hurrah for climbing the anti-social ladder!
Oh yes, and some rephrasing of edit one.

EDIT3: I decided I didn't like a sentence. So I took it out. EDIT3a: And I added a sentence.

EDIT4: I cannot believe what I just did...I made the A in 'EDIT3A' lowercase...Why couldn't I control myself? Yeeeaaaaarrrrgh! yell.gif

This post has been edited by TheOrator: 07 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#42 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (TheOrator @ Mar 7 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But yes, thanks a whole lot, Jane!

MUAHAhahahahahahaha!
QUOTE (TheOrator @ Mar 7 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT2:
That is because you'd have to be a complete and utter moron to say 'I'm Attention Deficit Hyperactivity' in lieu of 'I'm Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.'

I think it would be more like, "I'm Attention Deficit Hyperactive." Or to be perfectly precise, I suppose the correct way to say it would be more like, "I have an attention deficiency," and "I have an attention deficiency of a hyperactive nature," or rearranging or dropping the lettering of the abbreviation for "I am deficient in my span of attention," and "I am hyperactively deficient in my span of attention."

But honestly, who the hell are you going to get to say that out loud?

I'm ADD and OCD - that means I will fixate on something to an unhealthy degree and feel an uncontrollable need to do something about it...then get bored or distracted and forget the whole thing in favor of something else. happy.gif
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#43 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:35 AM

Jane- Southern Drawls are pretty cool. For proof check out Tombstone and tell me Doc Holliday dosn't rock. I've actually taken to talking with one at times even though I'm just from Virginia. Southern drawl is better than redneckspeak any day.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#44 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Mar 7 2007, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Southern drawl is better than redneckspeak any day.

There's a difference? Seriously.

QUOTE (TheOrator @ Mar 7 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And why, why, must people say ATM MACHINE??????????
WHY???

That reminds me of a conversation between a pair of my friends last year. Somebody had said ATM Machine. To which my grammatically compuslive friend replied "It's just ATM, you said ATM machine machine". He looked at me rather oddly as I burst out laughing, until I told him he had just said automatic teller machine machine machine.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#45 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

There's definitely a difference between a Southern drawl and the redneck accent. Southern drawl, think like, Gone with the Wind, or Streetcar Named Desire. Southern belle. Redneck is, well, Jeff Foxworthy is actually not even a good example, his isn't bad enough. Rednecks sound perpetually drunk, stupid, ignorant, and southern all at the same time. Oh wait, they are. I hate that, too. Luckily, my town's big enough (and my college attracts enough out-of-staters) that I don't have to put up with it ALL the time, but it's there a LOT, especially when I go to Wal*Mart or something.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size