Chefelf.com Night Life: Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows I mean DEATHLY???

#46 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Mar 12 2007, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HEY!!! sad.gif I said that a long time before Floppy did! sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Stealing other people's thunder since 1990.

tongue.gif
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#47 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Mar 13 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to repeat that the next HP book will suck no matter what it's called. The last two sucked; the next one, since it is continuing the same story from the last two, will suck by default.

I will buy it the day it comes out and read it non-stop in one sitting, just to see how badly it sucks.

Oh Civvy
I'm pretty sure you should
quit your day job and just

be a HP Hater full time. Unless....
You have a night job....
actually it still applies.....

HATER laugh.gif

As for Spoon, I aplogize in my laziness
and not reading the previous pages.
Still i can't help but congradulate

Floppy on his masterful deception
that is true skill.

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#48 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Mar 13 2007, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif *beams*

It's the very least a gentleman can do ma'am!

And Civ#2 I like that you are happy to undertak this punishment with these books while you knew the exact same thing with regards to the prequels and chose not to engage. I am somewhat curious as to what the difference is... in your mind. Is there perhaps a glimmer of hope there? wink.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#49 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

No, though the comparison is apt, and yeah, I make it all the time. Lucas like Rowling released something derivative of other stuff he'd seen and read, and wasn't too surprised when it became successful and popular. HOW successful and popular should have been a shock, especially for Rowling, but the material was time-tested and more or less guaranteed. So both followed up their success with sequels, and eventually both got into this nonsense of telling everyone they'd had a long story planned from the beginning. It took Rowling longer to get there, which is why it took her longer before her stuff started to suck. After all, JEDI is so sucky it taints EMPIRE as well, while it wasn't until OOTP that Rowling's work became so yawn-inducing as it is.

Anyway, so much for comparisons. I avoided the other STAR WARS prequels as much for their obvious poor quality as I did for Lucas's annoying personality. I think Rowling annoys me less, even though she share similar traits. I suppose if she were suddenly to add that she based her protagonists's struggles on the labours of Hercules or the Odyssey or Oedipus Rex ... well you get my meaning.

I don't hold out any hope that Deathly Hallows will be any good, at least not in the way that Philosopher's Stone or Chamber of Secrets or Prisoner of Azkaban were. It may be better than the last two, but that's not a big deal. However I am still curious to see how it plays out. I wasn't at all curious about how the PT would play out.

TJ: Find out how I can make money doing this, and I will definitely take up Hatin full time. But in the meantime I gots to work. Opium doesn't grow on trees!
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#50 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

Ahh now I see where you are coming from. Thanks!

And I'll be sure to keep my eyes opened for Rowlings future tellings of her inspirations for the books as people start screaming for, "The Further Adventures of Harry Potter" or should she kill him, "The Lost Chronicles of Harry Potter: Holiday Happenings"

Oooh even better, how about actual prequesls - "James and Lily: The Potter Prophecy" or "Dumbledore: International Man of Magical Mystery". The franchise is endless really.

biggrin.gif

I'm going to get ready to watch some cricket!
Yoda

#51 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

Cricket??? unsure.gif I thought Ashes ended long time ago.

And I am glad somebody nitpicked 'Hallows" as well. I did not even look it up in the dictionary. I am glad it was not just me who was totally puzzled of this title.
Anyway, the book comes out in June and I am getting it *sigh* and thus contributing my two dollars or so to this woman's already enormous fortune.

And I am not sure if she would do the spin-offs, I am sure she must be fed up and bored with the whole theme by now, which shows in the books. But I am sure someone will, once the copyrights expire.

#52 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Mar 17 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cricket??? unsure.gif I thought Ashes ended long time ago.

Ha! You are gorgeous MC. You spend 5 minutes in this country and already you're all over our sporting culture. You are correct, the Ashes are well and truly over and returned to their rightful place. Owned by Australia and sitting in the MCC Trophy Cabinet.

But I was off to watch our 2nd Grade team play in their semi-final. Which I'm glad to say that have won and are now to play the final next weekend. If they win I do not believe I will be turning in for work on Monday biggrin.gif

Oh and the World Cup is now on in the West Indies so cricket is far from over even after next weekend. tongue.gif
Yoda

#53 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

I finally finished the Goblet of Fire a few days ago. Its better than the movie, but the whole thing still blows. I still don’t get why everybody likes this series. I hope the bad guys win and Harry and his whiney little Scooby gang all bite it in the end.

"Ruh roh Ron, its Rord Roldemort!"

“And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn’t for your meddling kids!”

#54 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

That dude who plays Voldemort in the GoF movie is pretty damned sweet. And Scooby Potter makes me laugh. smile.gif
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#55 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ May 3 2007, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope the bad guys win and Harry and his whiney little Scooby gang all bite it in the end.

As far as I know, Harry will definitely bite the dust, dunno about the rest of those hateful little emo bastards.

#56 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

Well i have a reliable source
as far as hook ups go

Ron and Hermione obviously
Harry and Ginny may reunite
Luna and Neville
Remus and Tonks
Snape and Bellatrix
(she may act like she hates
him but i see through that)
There may not be a happyending
for Fleur and Charlie

as for deaths
i hope Draco dies
actually his father....
hmmm both
and the Harry/Voldermort
murder/death/suicide
it could go either way
my source says they both die
in an explosion of witchcraft and sorcery

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#57 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

I like all the books, and I hope this one is as good as the rest.

That now aside, I find no solace in the fact that there shall be none after... crying.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#58 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:25 AM

I really enjoyed books 1-4 and read them many times, but book 5 was a bit of a let-down, which is right around when I suppose I began to lose interest in the series. I remember nearly nothing of the sixth book. what I remember about the fifth book was Harry being all "nobody understands me" for the entire book, even when his friends were there for him. especially when they have been there for him for the past four books. one would think Harry would have gotten it by now. upon watching the movie last night it occurred to me that part of his moodiness was probably from dealing with the stresses of fighting evil all the time and having Voldemort in his head (oh and of course the whole adolescent thing), but it still didn't make for a particularly enjoyable read (i.e., Rowling could have gotten his general mopey outlook across without devoting so many pages to it. his undeserved bitchiness towards his friends also made his character less likeable.)

another thing that bothered me about the fifth book was the sudden introduction of Luna Lovegood. don't get me wrong, I think her character is totally awesome, and she's definitely one of my favorites, but up until book 5, Rowling would very cleverly introduce characters in one book, even just by mentioning them in passing, only to have them become important in later books. it was all very elegant and gave a good sense that she had planned out the story, even if she hadn't, and allowed the reader to become more immersed in the story (e.g. "hey, I've seen that kid around before!"). but, unless I just missed her appearance in an earlier book, or she was supposed to be a first-year (which I doubt but I don't actually recall), Luna just came out of nowhere, in a manner inconsistent with earlier books. Hogwarts doesn't seem like *that* big a school, and Luna is quite a character, so surely they would have at least noticed her around before.

also, every movie since "prisoner" has felt a bit rushed. sure, they have to get an n-hundred page book into a two-hour movie, but that can certainly be done without having it necessarily be a fast-forward through the entire plot. it is, after all, a different medium. I think I'd rather see a tighter plot and more character development in the films. but I think at this point they pretty much know the movies are going to sell out during the first couple of weeks they are showing, so they don't really find the need to be too careful with them.

also, I thought I'd be sad as the series finished up, but now I think it would be nice to have some closure (and also just be done with it already). hopefully she will tie up the various loose ends that remain and not leave us all hanging. even though I think at this point she realizes there would be large-scale riots if she did.

This post has been edited by Emu: 14 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#59 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (Emu @ Jul 14 2007, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another thing that bothered me about the fifth book was the sudden introduction of Luna Lovegood. don't get me wrong, I think her character is totally awesome, and she's definitely one of my favorites, but up until book 5, Rowling would very cleverly introduce characters in one book, even just by mentioning them in passing, only to have them become important in later books. it was all very elegant and gave a good sense that she had planned out the story, even if she hadn't, and allowed the reader to become more immersed in the story (e.g. "hey, I've seen that kid around before!"). but, unless I just missed her appearance in an earlier book, or she was supposed to be a first-year (which I doubt but I don't actually recall), Luna just came out of nowhere, in a manner inconsistent with earlier books. Hogwarts doesn't seem like *that* big a school, and Luna is quite a character, so surely they would have at least noticed her around before.

"No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn't get any tickets," said Mr. Diggory.

-- pg. 73, GoF, US edition

Just pointing that out. blush.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#60 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

oh! win.
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked