Chefelf.com Night Life: An old American sitcom. - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

An old American sitcom. A certain one.

#1 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

Now, I was just curious, and should probably be shot, but I was reading one of Yahtzee's old updates. The one about the crappy sitcoms Americans make. I agree with his statements. However, there is ONE sitcom I was curious about.

Yahtzee, (I know, shockingly, I have the nerve to address him, as opposed to referring to him as if he was in some other room and couldn't hear. Though technically he CAN'T hear this, but he can read, so I guess I'll actually, you know, ask HIM as opposed to the whole forum) what do you think of M*A*S*H. I know that it has values, which you object to, but also mostly follows the setup-joke-setup-joke format. So, if you could answer my question, call me a moron, or, and most likely, answer my question THEN call me a moron, I would be most grateful. It's been bugging me, because I have nothing better to do with my life than wonder what some Australian guy thinks is funny.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#2 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

It never really made me laugh but then there's the whole difference between British and American culture to consider. Also it tended to fall into the trap usual American sitcoms do by occasionally trying to be dramatic, heartwarming or maudlin. Keep your drama to the dramas and the comedy to the comedies, that's my philosophy. All the sentimental garbage is getting in the way of my laughs. No-one in Monty Python ever discovered the true meaning of friendship.

Also, you suck.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#3 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

As far as television goes, Reno 911 is my all-time fav. Do they get that in Australia?
"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#4 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Yahtzee @ Feb 15 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It never really made me laugh but then there's the whole difference between British and American culture to consider. Also it tended to fall into the trap usual American sitcoms do by occasionally trying to be dramatic, heartwarming or maudlin. Keep your drama to the dramas and the comedy to the comedies, that's my philosophy. All the sentimental garbage is getting in the way of my laughs. No-one in Monty Python ever discovered the true meaning of friendship.

Also, you suck.

Thanks. I can sleep easier now.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#5 User is offline   MAX Acca Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

Earlier M*A*S*H was enjoyable for me. It really jumped the shark after about the third season. (Then went on for seven and a half more).

It was a very bad idea to extend it so far and to make it really preachy.

#6 User is offline   Maelin Icon

• New Cop

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

Things may have been different in that era. We're more cynical about such stuff now.

Either way, Futurama did an awesome parody of M*A*S*H, with the robot version of Hawkeye who had the little switch on his side that went from "irreverent" to "maudlin".

#7 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Feb 15 2007, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, (I know, shockingly, I have the nerve to address him...)

Yes, shockingly, he replied, proving he's either the most sophisticated artificial intelligence ever designed or an actual flesh-and-blood human being. Now that I've typed that out, I think the former would perhaps be more likely.

Is there a reason people are afraid to address him? Other than his vast array of nuclear/automatic weaponry?

EDIT: I suppose I should plaster a thin veneer of an attempt to remain on topic. I also thought M*A*S*H became preachy after a certain amount of time.

Also, the British version of The Office is better than the American one. And I'm an American.

That is all.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 15 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#8 User is offline   durry Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

M*A*S*H isn't really a sitcom. On several occasions, Alan Alda has claimed that it wasn't, primarily because of the seriousness of several episodes.

#9 User is offline   setasouji Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Feb 15 2007, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, shockingly, he replied, proving he's either the most sophisticated artificial intelligence ever designed or an actual flesh-and-blood human being. Now that I've typed that out, I think the former would perhaps be more likely.

Is there a reason people are afraid to address him? Other than his vast array of nuclear/automatic weaponry?

Yahtzee has a well-known disdain for anyone who posts on his forums. We live in constant fear that, should we speak his name and attract his attention, he will rise forth like some great eldritch god and spew forth his burning hot hatred that shall strip the flesh from our bones like molten lava.

It was awfully nice of him to put us in the credits of 6DaS, considering.

#10 User is offline   rippa32 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:25 AM

Oh come on he can't be that bad. Oh and I'm an Australian guy and I will tell you what I think is funny. I like early M*A*S*H for it's humour and later M*A*S*H for the sincere bits. So yes there was a huge change it just so happened I like both types.

#11 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (setasouji @ Feb 16 2007, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was awfully nice of him to put us in the credits of 6DaS, considering.

Awfully nice? mellow.gif To me, that was actually the most scariest part of the whole game. crying.gif I can clearly remember myself raising an eyebrow and whispering "Who are you and what have you done to Mr. Yahtzee..." when I saw that.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#12 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:00 AM

I try to catch Reno when im over in the states, but in my opinion Curb your Enthusiasm has to be one of the best comedys I've ever seen.

Of course none of that comes close to Peep Show.

#13 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

Someone mentioned preaching about certain values in American sitcoms, and I was immediately reminded of Married With Children. I think that series proved that SOME Americans have realised how smarmy the "Family Fucking Values FTW" attitude got and how unfunny it was; so they came up with something hilarious instead. Even though it became sort of samey after a few hundred thousand episodes, but it being so successful must mean something.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 16 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

#14 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

Some Australian guy? That's strange, has Yahtzee actually spent enough time in Australia to become Australian now?

#15 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:52 AM

I tell ya, it's contagious.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size