Chefelf.com Night Life: Firefox 2 - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Firefox 2

#1 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

I noticed there was a new Firefox out, so I went and downloaded it hoping that they finally fixed the stupid alt text bug (turns out they haven't, so I still have to use plugins). Anyway, now I find that when I press 'alt+s' to post, it instead opens up the History menu. Any suggestions?
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#2 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

Open a new tab, type about:config, type access in the filter bar, double click on ui.key.contentAccess and set its value to 4.

And it's not an alt-text-bug. Alternative text was never meant to be displayed when the mouse hovers over - that was supposed to be the "title" attribute's job.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#3 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for that.

And I know it's not an official bug, but convention has defined the meaning of the alt tag. Languages evolve depending on what is commonly used, programming languages are no different.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#4 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

Alt text was originally meant to be used as a keyword system, was it not? A good example of this is Penny Arcade. I don't know if they still do it, but the keywords for searching their archive used to be enclosed in each comic's alt text.

#5 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

Definitely not. It should simply contain an accurate but short description of what is shown in the picture, for the case that the picture can't be loaded for some reason and to make things easier for handicapped people.

The method of stuffing keywords in there is yet another stupid custom people came up with when they found out how Google works.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size