Chefelf.com Night Life: Hardware Museum - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Hardware Museum Any antiques or rare hardware? Post them here.

#1 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

I have plenty of hardware lying around which I collected over the years. One of my interest is looking around for old hardware stuff and reading about them until I get bored. I still haven't been able to experiment on everything yet and some I don't think is possible.

So here I thought this would be a good place to post pictures of old and exceptionally rare items to those who like wandering around till they fall lethargic.

Conditions of the thread:

(1) Only post pictures of old hardware difficult to find.
This includes pictures only taken by you or your presence around the object.

(2) Don't post identical hardware if it has already been posted.
Exceptions here: Custom made, modified hardware, significant changes in different versions and board layout.

(3) If something is plain and doesn't do much and knowingly doesn't have an interesting history then think twice about posting it or ask first.

Hoping one day someone will be able to identify some of the stuff used in their time.

#2 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

Now here are two cards given to me 11 years ago.

Erase drivers:

Record drivers:

Back of one made by Artwork.

I think these were used for in recording device maybe before or at the same time of the s100 bus judging by the solder. I can't find much information then but might be worth me searching one more time.

Now is THIS interesting?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 13 February 2007 - 04:19 PM

#3 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:50 PM

Come on I am really making an effort here.

Hercules v 112 I found this in a dump in 1997. I never tested it so I don't know how much memory is on there. Maybe between 64 to 256 kilobytes or even 112 kilobytes but unfortunately I was stupid to put in under the scanner not realising that the rays can affect the cmos chip.
It has a 9 pin for EGA I think and I can't remember the type of the 24 pin output.

What would someone like to see?
I might have it.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 13 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:07 AM

I have some kind of horrificly old eighties computer monitor. It goes dark a lot so I put it in the closet. I think it's Daewoo or something. Also theres a really blocky computer microphone that I have no diea what it could have been used for since the internet and online voice transfer didnt exist in teh eighties.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#5 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:47 AM

Can you post of picture of them here?
I would like to see.

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:19 AM

Excuse "of" it should have been an "a".
And if possible pictures will be nice unlike that hinner site below with fewer pictures.

Searching again and only found one site for this one:

original Hercules Video Card, with Printer Port
1986; 6845; Hercules V112 IC
http://www.hinner.co...te/forsale.html

Original Hercules video card. I wonder if this is a true antique. At an auction it'll probably be looked upon as a pile of plastic and sand. Now I know what that 24 pin port does. I didn't expect it to be a printer port. I have never seen a printer port on a video card before. Assumingly the long chip at the bottom with the most legs could be the printer port controller (6G2 HD46505SP and HD6845SP, no date?) but I have to check if it is serial or parallel as back in those days. I think it'll be interrupty using that port at the same time of basic graphics or interference. Next time I'll search first.

I think it is serial. The five pins with a plastic base by the side of it.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 14 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

#7 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Motorola 8800x

I found this down a stall. Unfortunately I can't find any information on this model. The battery it still able to accept charge and still functionable but as for the switch off all I hear is a higher lower tone noise when I dial. Another thing I am unhappy about is the rubber buttons which are more likely to wear out under heavy use.

Soon with the new charger I am going to test the capacity. This as a rechargeable battery does not state the amount of quantity in milliamps and I find that very demeaning and patronising to the user. Normally the value of the quantity that appears is estimated by the time it lasts or the graphical indicator but no milliamp count on the phone and the chargers I have seen which can be deceiving by the memory effect of Nickel Cadmium batteries.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 14 February 2007 - 07:40 PM

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

I dont know about taking pictures. Digging them out of my closet to actually find out what they really are seems a terrible amount of effort even.

I did used to have a highly old 1970 computer that my grandparents gave my dad, but that got auctioned off at a yard sale for parts.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#9 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

Well if you ever do dig them out of your closet please try to take pictures to post here. It is an interest of mine and I might be able to identify them.

For me I didn't realize the sentimental value of a Tandon 286 8 Mhz computer used for a security company with access control monitoring hardware. Well I done some damage in 1998. After putting the video card back in it stopped working. I still have the cards, hard disk and mainboard but I gave the casing away for some presentation. The power supply made a horrible high pitched noise. When I opened it it was full of dust.

1985 Western digital MFM disk controller:

larger image:
http://img402.images...2180013aga7.jpg

10 Megabyte Tandon MFM hard drive:

This drive makes a strange sort of squeeky noise on disk activity.

For the motherboard I have one picture taken from what is close to a camera years ago. It is in the deep end of a cupboard at the bottom of the box where I'll have to dig that out with a lot of effort and mess to take a better picture but I'll try and find the 1 megabyte memory expansion card. The motherboard has 1 megabyte onboard.

A question from the picture:
Noticing the unsoldered pins on the 3rd slot downward.
Why does it have two only 8 bit ISA slots when 16 bit slots are based on an extended design starting from a second part of the slot?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 17 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

#10 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

I forgot to include a closeup to the motor on the hard disk.

22/?/1987 is a long way away. If that is when it was manufactured then that is 20 years old. Got to see if it still spins and works.

The first network cards I got were Novell Netware, they came from a big rectangular box with books and 5 1/4 disks which is now stacked away in the cupboard. Never could get them to work properly on certain boards. When I sort out my cupboard then I can find the box.

According to something I read in one of the books this one is for a server:

Larger image:
http://img179.images...p2170119ml9.jpg

These ones were for the clients.

Larger image:
http://img241.images...p2170125pf5.jpg

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 17 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

#11 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:52 PM

I took out the Novell Netware box but unfortunately it is falling apart.

Larger image:
http://img523.images...p2180023xi0.jpg

larger image:
http://img523.images...p2180026eq7.jpg

Folders:
Supplements
Installation for ELS Level 2 (looks worn)
Reference for ELS Level 2
Maintenance for ELS Level 2
System Messages

Books:
Btrieve Installation and Operation
Five Ethernet Installation Supplement

Hardback covers:
Installation Supplement for Macintosh
Supervisor's Supplement for Macintosh
User's Guide for Macintosh
Requester for OS/2 Supplement

Brochures:

Larger image:
http://img523.images...p2190010sq6.jpg

Larger image:
http://img505.images...p2190009rc6.jpg

Larger image:
http://img252.images...p2190004cd9.jpg

Larger image:
http://img523.images...p2180002hs0.jpg

Loose disks:
Netware Gateway
Macintosh utilities
Netware 286 Lan_DRV_180 v2.15

Small box:
Netware OS/2 V2.15
Utilities
Lan drivers
Network Requester for OS/2 v1.1

5 1/4 boxes:
OS exe I assume this is the operating system.
Public discs 1 - 9?
Diagnostics
Help applications.

Today I decided to experiment on one of the cards.
I think this one is an NE2000 Plus:

Larger image:
http://img252.images...p2180042zk1.jpg

Thanks to the book I discovered the dip switches were set wrongly to any configuration. I got it to work compared to last time except a few problems at first with a faulty cat 5 lead on a transceiver. I have a 16 port hub to show later with a coaxial and 10 baseT transceiver.

Larger image:
http://img252.images...p2180030sz2.jpg

I got this 15 DB to 10baseT transceiver from second hand stall. It is proving very handy instead of finding place for a 16 port hub for just two connections. I remember years ago the terrible performance of a bunch of 10 mb Realtek Ethernet and Coaxial network cards from a 1998 batch. I took one for an experiment. Jumpy pings from 20 to as high as 130 either used on the game server or client. I don't think that matters because of noticeable lagginess. When transferring large files they start to slow down dramatically at the end.

Used for hosting an Unreal Tournament game I am quite pleased about the performance. 0 ping to 17 ping (when stopping for a long time.) Sometimes it stays at 1 ping throughout the game. File transfer as it's mean't to be with 10 mb speed, around 1 megabyte a second without any slowing down and this was manufactured in 1990.

Sorry about all the pictures I thought it was quite interesting to look at and read.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 18 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

#12 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

IBM 8 bit ISA Audio Capture Adapter

Larger image:
http://img177.images...654/acpazt5.jpg

I think the top left squared chip is a digital signal processor for early voice recognition or dictation noticeably at the bottom where the two possibly memory chips are. Got this working but there is a problem with sound buffering.

The annoying thing is that relay. For certain applications it clicks off for good until restarting. Apart from the buffer problem which I think is the driver the sound quality is brilliant for its day.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 22 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

#13 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

I found a bag of old memory which was camouflaging in the cupboard. I am so pleased that I didn't ask who I thought might have stolen it.

Larger image

This one has a bag shaped cover like on cheap keyboards and calculators.
Judging by the numbers on the top right I think each contains 1 megabyte of memory and 70? speed and assuming the rest as the manufactured date of May 1991.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 20 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

#14 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

I recently acquired a laptop from a lab that was getting rid of a bunch of them - it's a Digital HiNote Ultra 2000, circa 1998. which is not really *that* old, but it's historically interesting, considering that Digital (the Digital Equipment Corporation) has been around since 1957, and (apparently shortly after this laptop was made) they got eaten by Compaq, who subsequently got eaten by Hewlett-Packard a few years ago.

I haven't actually got it working yet, since I was regrettably unable to scavenge a working power cord for it, but I am fairly impressed by it for an old laptop. It's pretty light, has a nice screen and keyboard, and 4gb of hard drive memory (fairly standard for 1998). Since I already have a (much less crufty) laptop for general use, I think that if I can get this Digital one up and running, that I am going to turn it into an old-school gaming laptop (i.e. put games from the 1990s on it, such as Lemmings, Oregon Trail, and others, for the purpose of re-living my childhood.) otherwise, if it's totally fried and I can't get it working, then I'll just take it apart and do something cool with the screen and keyboard.

This post has been edited by Emu: 04 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#15 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Emu @ May 4 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
which is not really *that* old, but it's historically interesting, considering that Digital (the Digital Equipment Corporation) has been around since 1957, and (apparently shortly after this laptop was made) they got eaten by Compaq, who subsequently got eaten by Hewlett-Packard a few years ago.

scnr

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size