Chefelf.com Night Life: Nightmare I had which I believe to be influenced by these games... - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Nightmare I had which I believe to be influenced by these games...

#61 User is offline   Elmindreda Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:59 PM

It seems that I arrived at the dream stage as well...

A few nights ago I had a series of dreams (that is, have one dream, wake up, fall asleep, part 2... yes, that actually happens to me pretty often), the longest of which revolved around a space station. It was so big that one required a mini-shuttle to move around it. There was also a way to get around using elevators, but I knew at the back of my mind that it was real slow and only used when no other means available. Actually, the mini-shuttle I remember looked a lot like a small version of the Charisma ship from 7DAS.

Anyway, the station suddenly had a power cut, and it was all dark, except for some ambient light just to let me see the dream. In some parts, I would see through the character's eyes (even though in the main part of the dream the protagonist was male), in some - have a third-person view akin to the games. I think I was touring the ship looking for survivors apart from those that were already cowering in the main room. Eventually I ended up using the elevators. In one room I entered there was a corpse. I left the room, and my shadow looked like a hulking, somewhat stooped figure with an axe. I panicked and ran back in the elevator. When I got out on another floor, there was another corpse, and now the character looked like the Welder (just like the TN hallucination).

The next part of the dream was a few chapters ahead, when apparently the survivors got rescued, and I was among them, a female this time. We were all in a bus going down a street, when suddenly large ginger-colored rats started to get in through every hole. There was a gun in the bus, but people ended up mostly shooting themselves when trying to shoot the rats. Then a really big one tried to get in through the roof opening, and my character shot it - and ended up shooting a guy that in the dream was her boyfriend. Then I remember sitting there with the dying guy in my arms and thinking 'and I actually thought we were going to get out of there alive... how stupid...'. It was that genuine feeling of loss and hopelessness.

#62 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

I'm seriously thinking about making a game about these dreams. I mean, I will take a coherent story of them. Really. Or I'll get nuts.

#63 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

I've had a similar idea back in college. Not only I was getting weird dreams and nightmares every nights in a row, but there was a consistant universe in my dreams, some sort of heavily modified version of the city I was living in at college. And every dreams, no matter how inconsistent between each others, always too place in that city, expending it everytime, kinda like the RON series.

This post has been edited by Blueskirt: 26 June 2007 - 11:48 AM

#64 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

Dimension Hopping: Simple explanation for the most inconsitsant of storylines!

I know how you feel though, alot of my dreams take place in what i like to call 'not liverpoool' in which it has the same general layout as liverpools city center, but things are in different places, and some buidings have been replaced by gardens and hedges and shops and bars that don't exist are there, and things from my home town in cumbria are there too.

#65 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:23 AM

Yeah, I get that on occasion as well...weird

#66 User is offline   Legion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Horror stuff, spicy food, RPG and FPS video games, decent novels, stand-up comedy, watching idiots maim themselves doing stupid things, Asian or Italian food and web surfing.<br /><br />Yup, I'm a complete geek.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Well, this wasn't really a nightmare per se but it was still damned creepy.

I dreamt I was watching the opening sequence for 6DAS when Dacabe is shoved into the open elevator shaft. Then for some reason (probably influenced by the fact I'd played the 1213 trilogy the day before) I was watching Theo plummet down the elevator shaft and little directional arrows were showing up on the screen; I had to press the correct ones to guide Theo to the bottom of the shaft safely. I must have missed one because WHAM, he slammed his face against a metal step against one wall and pretty much took his face off; dead on impact. I then had to watch his corpse drop down the rest of the shaft, smashing into and bouncing off of various objects. Finally he hits the bottom, pretty much an unrecognisable bleeding sack of meat; and then the elevator door opens. Instead of Sam as would be expected though it's Cabadath on the other side. He stands there gazing at Dacabe's mangled body for a few moments, and then the doors slide shut again.

Most interesting part was right as Theo hit the first metal outcrop, the whole thing changed from watching the 6DAS game to watching a real-life version of Dacabe drop down the shaft like a bag of dirt. This meant I also got to see a real-life Cabadath as well, which looking back on I have to say was just goddamned awesome.

I also got to see the Welder in person in another dream; and that one WAS a nightmare...

Was walking around the lounge room of a previous house of mine (beautiful seaside town house in New South Wales, for anybody vaguely interested and who lives in Australia), up on the second floor. I guess it was supposed to be the DeFoe Mansion or something because I'm walking toward the kitchen and the girl I'm with, who I shall dub Miss Terious because I have absolutely no effing clue who she was supposed to be, pipes up "Aren't you a little worried about John DeFoe?"

"Pffft, nah," I say. "One, we're not trapped here. Two, it's the wrong time of year so he can't hurt us anyway. Three, neither of us look anything like Trilby."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," she replies, watching me leave the kitchen and walk down the stairs.

"'Course I'm right," I say. "We're not going to be attacked by the Welder-"

As I said that I cleared the last few stairs into the hallway. Looming in the hallway against the flyscreen front door, machete raised is - no prizes for guessing this one, folks.

I race back upstairs, heading for the only means of escape; the glass sliding doors that open onto the balcony. "No Welder?" Terious says sarcastically.

"To hell with that!" I shout, stepping onto the balcony and leaping off its left side. Somehow on the way down I grabbed the high wooden fence to break my fall and stopping me from going splat on the driveway. I'm running down the side of the house and I hear a scream - Terious apparently didn't move fast enough. I round the corner, am running past the front of the house now - and the Welder steps onto the front balcony and flings something at me. Terious's head. He misses by a mile and although I'm scared shitless I'm thinking "I'm safe. He can't leave the house, I'm safe" as I run.

Famous last words. There's some sort of weird teleport noise, I have the sudden wrench of terror in my gut, oh shit, he's standing right behind me, and then stab. Machete through the back and out through the right side of my chest. At this point I woke up and decided that just this once I would sleep with the light on for old time's sake.

As was the case with Tall Man's appearance, seeing the Welder up close and personal was pretty freakin' cool, in retrospect.

In the meantime however I think it's added another symptom to my insomnia. tongue.gif
I'm not pessimistic; I've just realised that the light at the end of the tunnel is an incoming train.

#67 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:06 AM

Ah, yeah, the bad dialogue in dreams...

Did it hurt getting stabbed? I used to hat ethem dreams where you'd know it was a dream, but it'd still hurt lots.

#68 User is offline   Legion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Horror stuff, spicy food, RPG and FPS video games, decent novels, stand-up comedy, watching idiots maim themselves doing stupid things, Asian or Italian food and web surfing.<br /><br />Yup, I'm a complete geek.

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:53 AM

I'm not quite sure. It was like although you weren't in physical pain as such your mind interprets it that you ARE in pain, so even if it doesn't sting like hell you still have that feeling where you can't breathe and your eyes are stinging and your brain is telling you, does it hurt now biatch?

In that case yeah. Sweet flying zombie tapdancing Jesus it hurt.

Then I woke up and it STILL hurt. For a split second I thought I'd really been stabbed until I realised that I'd tensed up so much that I'd given myself one nasty shoulder cramp.

And for the sake of humour; I have semi-convinced my girlfriend that her guitar was haunted by playing Cabadath's theme on it; and now whenever I hum the tune her guitar vibrates. I've also been banned from dressing up as the Welder to freak out all the little idiots that even consider doorknocking me on October 31st, under penalty of forced celibacy. biggrin.gif
I'm not pessimistic; I've just realised that the light at the end of the tunnel is an incoming train.

#69 User is offline   Gekko Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:51 AM

On telly they said that "super graphics make the games more frightening and therefore cause nightmares to children." I think that's just crap. Graphics do not make games scarier. IMHO, low graphics games are more frightening as there the player must concentrace more on the story. As the player starts feasting on the storyline, sudden changes are stronger. Music, of course, affects the atmosphere in a major way.

EDIT: Woopsie, I got carried away. To the topic!

Have you heard of LUCID - dreams? One googling is enuff, but as we all know, you still won't do it. Anyway, lucid - dream is a dream, where you can control everything. The key to reach the lucid is to notice something unusual in the dream and realize that it is a dream. When you knwo it's a dream and if you don't wake up, you have the power to control the uni-- dream. I've never had actual lucid, but I have tried for a long time. A few times I have managed to control my dreams a little, but all those times I have been on "dream-thinking" meaning that I think like I would think if that situation was real.

There are a few ways of getting a lucid dream. One is to learn your dreaming style by keeping a dreamdiary where you write all your dreams. This helps you to remember you dreams (you might actually have had tens of lucids, but you just don't remember them). The second one is to be completely relaxed on bed and doing sort of mantra: "This night I will have a lucid dream where I am in Defoe manor." Determination is the key; if you decide, that this night you'll have a lucid dream and say it loud to yourself, do some mantra at night, you'll have greater chances of having a lucid.

These lucid dreams are a great way to experience something new (not just sex): Just imagine yourself in Defoe manor and boom, you are playing 5DAS in 3D.

This post has been edited by Gekko: 20 July 2007 - 04:08 AM

#70 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

Well...graphics are said to make games scarier by lots of people...but yeah, not those who know what theya re talking about.

Lucid dreams...yeah. One way to tell if you are dreaming is to look at text. The reading part of your brain won't work in dreams, so a sign "say" won't say the same thing twice and so on.

Another way is to find a calculator...get it to multiply a 2 digit number by another 2 digit number. Then do it yourself and check if it was right...if not, you might be dreaming. That worked for me...until they dreams wouldn't give me calculators to test with...which is another hint.

If I know I'm dreaming, I can control the dream.

"Fuck this...this monster's not chasing me no more...I want a Heckler and Koch Mp5, and to be a vampire, and I'm chasing it"

Alternatively, just being a vampire and being able to walk up walks is seriosuly cool.

#71 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

I had a Harry Potter dream where Lupin was teaching Divination, and another where the entire Slytherin Quidditch team was replaced by this corporate-based entity led by some guy called Max. wacko.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#72 User is offline   Funk en Regalia Icon

• New Cop

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

Another thing about games with 2D or bad 3D graphics that makes them more scary than some advanced 3D games is the lack of mobility. In a lot of these newfangled console horror games, you can run in all sorts of directions with ease, making escape easier. There are exceptions to this, of course, but I know nothing scarier than being unable to move and aim easily in the first Resident Evil of the 90s.

Also on the subject of lucid dreams, I just recently had one in which I made the heads of all of these me-chasing zombies explode, after I had realized that I was dreaming.

By the way, just joined the forum, just finished 6 days and the Notes, love the entire series, hope that there is some sort of spin-off game or something in the same universe in the works...

#73 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (Gekko @ Jul 20 2007, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The second one is to be completely relaxed on bed and doing sort of mantra: "This night I will have a lucid dream where I am in Defoe manor."

Quick question: if you can have a lucid dream, do anything, be whatever... why the FUCK would you want to be in DeFoe Manor?

If I ever find myself in a lucid dream, it won't take long for me to be banging that extremely cute British chick from my Freshman year at college. She'll be saying my name, too.

The only POSSIBLE reason you would want to give yourself the heebie-jeebies intentionally is so that when you wake up you can say, "Well, at least there isn't a machete through my liver."
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#74 User is offline   Gekko Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

Sex gets boring. That's the reason. In dreams I can experience old things in a new way and that's interesting in my opinion.

#75 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

If you think sex is boring...

My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size