#16 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Feb 5 2007, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if anything it's a spiritual successor

Argh..

Don't use these words. PLEASE. They are way too overused.

Spiritual successor is just another word for "riding on the fame of that popular game, beause we fear it won't sell well enough otherwise". Take the BioShock example: If it were just that, everyone would say: "Hey, looks like a good shooter, maybe I'll look into it, looks good". But now it's a "spiritual successor" to System Shock and everyone goes "OMFG, it's System Shock, I just MUST buy it".
Not that YOU are doing the same, but please just don't use them xD

Besides that, I like the style of that guy. He walks kind of funny. In a good way a mean. But you shouldn't let him walk like that in a horror-themed game. It looks kind of "shaggy" wink.gif

#17 User is offline   llamaman Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Yahtzee @ Feb 4 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the record, I've got nothing against fangames for the same reason I've got nothing against fanart, it's flattering. Just as long as, as people have said, you don't mess around with established canon.

Is that why you bailed out of Reality On the Norm? Or just because the games got retarded and lame.

#18 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Feb 5 2007, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You overdid the light filtering a bit.

#19 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (Don Andy @ Feb 5 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Argh..

Don't use these words. PLEASE. They are way too overused.

Really? Where else have they been used besides in the System Shock 2/Bioshock example I gave?

Thanks for the advice, Don Andy and David-Kyo. I'm still trying to figure out walkcycles, and I guess I went overboard on dramatic lighting for the painting and such.

And I know that the door is too tall. Hopefully with a little more advice like this I can actually get started on something decent...
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#20 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Feb 5 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I know that the door is too tall. Hopefully with a little more advice like this I can actually get started on something decent...

Just start. Do what you can and make a game out of it. Yes, the door may look to big and the walking cycle a bit weird, but you'll learn from it. Maybe the first game sucks, maybe the second does, too, but after a few futile attempts you WILL make something good, as long as you don't give up. If all fails you can always remake the first few attempts when you've gotten better.

And seeing that you actually DID a fluent walking cycle is potential enough. I, for myself, couldn't even draw a decent standing character, let alone a walking one.

Oh, and about that spiritual successor thingy: To be honest I can't come up with any example, but belive me, these days everything is a spiritual successor to something. Just because nobody wants to admit they're actually just copying ideas. Which isn't necessarily bad, but they could at least be honest then. It should be "[GAME] was a cool game, so we taking some of it's elements and make our own game with it." and not "For licensing reasons we couldn't make it a sequel, but spiritual succesor will do."

This post has been edited by Don Andy: 05 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

#21 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

Fair enough. It's definitely my own idea, but inspired by Yahtzee's adventure game style, much like you can make a game in the Sierra or LucasArts style.

Is that better? smile.gif

EDIT:

Sorry if this is not pertinent to FullyRamblomatic. I just read a thread a couple of links down about somebody making a Monkey Island fangame. I thought this would be more applicable since the thread was about Yahtzee fangames, but I don't want to be the chud who doesn't follow the rules.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 05 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

#22 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

Seen in Wikipedia that Fallout is considered a 'spiritual successor' to Wasteland.
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#23 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

Joshofalltrades (or whatever your nick was), if you haven't done it yet, you might want to check out the FR archive called Background check (7/9/2006), it has a lot of useful info on making interior backgrounds of that style.

#24 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

Why thank you. That is very helpful indeed.

#25 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

What the fuck? This post is going to sound totally insincere to you, but there's nothing wrong with the term 'spiritual successor'. It has nothing to do with recycling already-garnered fame, and is only pretentious when it isn't truly meant. Which I suppose is the definition of pretentious. Never mind, the point is that... well I can't be bothered to articulate and type out my full point. I'm right and you're wrong so there. As for BioShock, it's the very definition of a spiritual successor: the team can't make an actual successor because they lost the rights to System Shock, so they're doing the next best thing. It's System Shock 3 in spirit. QED.

This post has been edited by AdamM: 05 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

#26 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

Well I didn't think there was anything wrong with the wording either, but whatever. Can't please everybody, I guess.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 05 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

#27 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Feb 5 2007, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's System Shock 3 in spirit. QED.

Yes, that's the problem. It's Sytem Shock 3 for marketing reasons. If being a scary semi-shooter is enough to be a spiritual succesor of System Shock, then we have a whole bunch of System Shock 3s already. Sorry, having NO, really NO relation to System Shock in ANY way doesn't really make it a System Shock 3.

I don't have a problem with spiritual successor in itself, but the way it is used these days.

Never mind, the point is that... well I can't be bothered to articulate and type out my full point.

Heh, yeah, right, if you don't want to bother, then don't.

I'm right and you're wrong so there.

Now THAT is an argument. rolleyes.gif

#28 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

THAT'S NOT THE POINT YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT

Of course it's not System Shock 3! It's System Shock 3 in spirit! The same team are making it, the game is what they would have made if they had the opportunity to make System Shock 3 but they can't so it carries the spirit of System Shock 3!! How can you not understand this? Do you honestly think they're saying this just to sell more copies? Don't you think the license holders of System Shock would have done something with it a long time ago if the Shock label was enough to sell games?

#29 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Feb 5 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course it's not System Shock 3! It's System Shock 3 in spirit!

So tell me: What does this make any more System Shock 3 than any other horror/adventure oriented shooter? Killing the girls or the big hulking robots?
Or maybe that crazy, omnipotent KI, that basically made System Shock what it is. Oh wait, BioShock doesn't have it anyway.

Just because it's made by the same people (maybe, doesn't know that for sure) and has a "shock" in his name, doesn't make it System Shock in any way. Not even "in spirit".

He, I don't even say BioShock is a bad game, I WILL get it. It just makes me sick they obviously don't feel very confident and need to build up on something popular.

Oh yes and btw:
Don't you think we're derailing the thread a bit here?

#30 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:48 PM

Ah, forget about that derailing stuff, the trains already crashed into the next wall at full speed.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size