Chefelf.com Night Life: Fan Game: DaCabe's Journal - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fan Game: DaCabe's Journal

#1 User is offline   fornax Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

After playing 6DAS it seemed to me that the XDAS series was turning out much like Space Quest. With each episode the protagonist(s) and universe developed a little more, until it's almost a cultural icon (well, within a certain scope.)

And, just like with Space Quest, I began to wonder if.. IF.. the XDAS community could build on the Chzo/Trilby/DeFoe universe by creating small fan games, like Space Quest 0 and TLC. This would not only extend the lifetime of XDAS but allow us, the fans, to feel a little more 'inside' the universe.

So, in the tradition of AGS, where no project shall be proposed unless ye have a prototype to demonstrate, I offer this, my own fan game tribute to 6DAS:

DaCabe's Journal

A little introspection into what *might* have happened at the end of 6DAS, from the p.o.v of the Caretaker. You'll see another side to the events from 6DAS and discover the origins of the Chzo mythos. Well, it's a bit of fun, anyway.

The game is available from: http://web.aanet.com...rnal/index.html

I know how much Yahtzee hates direct emails hence this forum posting. I hope Yahtzee is amused and amendable to this suggestion. If not, I can remove the site, though it would be a shame. All comments appreciated.

#2 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

Well, meh, mostly.

You should've made a flash movie out it or something. There wasn't that much to play afterall.

#3 User is offline   fornax Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Don Andy @ Feb 4 2007, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, meh, mostly.

You should've made a flash movie out it or something. There wasn't that much to play afterall.

No, not much. It's an idea, mostly. I'm hoping others with more skills will build on it.
And most of the fun is looking/interacting with stuff and reading the funny messages.

As for Flash, isn't the designer kinda expensive? Or is there some cheap alternative?

This post has been edited by fornax: 04 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

#4 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:58 AM

Yes, its called "Use Limewire".

Remember kids, illegal file downloading is illegal!
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#5 User is offline   fornax Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Chyld @ Feb 4 2007, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, its called "Use Limewire".

Remember kids, illegal file downloading is illegal!

Hmm. I think I'll leave it to the professional flashers to make the movies. Aw, geez. I just realised what I wrote... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by fornax: 04 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

#6 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

Well, there's still a 30-Day-Trial. And this could've been done in probably half an hour in Flash. If you know what you're doing.

Hmm, I can give you an A for effort for this, but I don't really think it's funny, sorry. But I probably just don't like this type of humor. And I also don't think that "funny" suits the XDAS-Games really well.

I really would like to see some fan-games, set in the XDAS-Universe, but NOT related to the XDAS-Story in any way. That should be left in Yahtzees hands.

The Realm of Magick just screams for a RPG sort of game.

#7 User is offline   fornax Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Don Andy @ Feb 4 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, there's still a 30-Day-Trial. And this could've been done in probably half an hour in Flash. If you know what you're doing.

Now that would be interesting. Yahtzee likes mixing up genres and technologies, so a XDAS interactive flash movie is not such a far-fetched idea. I hope somebody does try this.

Hmm, I can give you an A for effort for this, but I don't really think it's funny, sorry.

Heh. That's okay. I didn't think humour was the XDAS thing either. This was just a tongue-in-cheek nod to 6DAS's 'closing the loops of Destiny' thang.

I really would like to see some fan-games, set in the XDAS-Universe, but NOT related to the XDAS-Story in any way. That should be left in Yahtzees hands.

Why not both? Anything by Yahtzee is fine, but why not let fans build on little side-stories with the understanding that they're absolutely non-canon?

#8 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (fornax @ Feb 4 2007, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not both? Anything by Yahtzee is fine, but why not let fans build on little side-stories with the understanding that they're absolutely non-canon?

Well, yeah, but I really think something as good as the XDAS-Story shouldn't be tempered with, even if non-canon.

XDAS-Fan-Games can probably NEVER be good, since they will always stand in the big shadow of the original. That's why I think, that we should leave the XDAS-Story alone and instead take the universe it plays in.

I mean, there could still be cameos or something. Like the main character of the fangame meeting the Caretaker, but it should really be left at that.

But it's just my personal opinion on that matter, don't let it stop you making fan-games wink.gif

#9 User is offline   fornax Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Don Andy @ Feb 4 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, yeah, but I really think something as good as the XDAS-Story shouldn't be tempered with, even if non-canon.
XDAS-Fan-Games can probably NEVER be good, since they will always stand in the big shadow of the original. That's why I think, that we should leave the XDAS-Story alone and instead take the universe it plays in.
I mean, there could still be cameos or something. Like the main character of the fangame meeting the Caretaker, but it should really be left at that.
But it's just my personal opinion on that matter, don't let it stop you making fan-games wink.gif

Fair points. Though i don't think fan games would ever seek to compete with the big guy. They'd just add a brick here or there to the wall. If a fan game was going to aim to be as big as 5/6/7DAS/TN it would probably need Yahtzee's approval.

Which brings me to another point - what if Yahtzee actually farmed out some small game ideas to fans to make? It would save him time and get us more games to play with. That would ensure any off-shoots would be canon. Heh. With a crazy thought like that, it's clearly time for bed. Ciao.

#10 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

Heh, I thought it was quite amusing.

#11 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

Which brings me to another point - what if Yahtzee actually farmed out some small game ideas to fans to make? It would save him time and get us more games to play with. That would ensure any off-shoots would be canon.

It would waste him ideas and concepts he could use or recycle for new games. Plus it would close him doors if he ever wants to walk on the same ground.

But if you want to make a fan game, feel free to do it. Just remember that not everyone will like it (which shouldn't really bother you as there will always be people like that, do the game first for yourself) and that it will probably have inconsistencies if it involve the over satured DeFoe/Chzo story or involve any of the currents canon characters in the foreground, so research carefully.

I'd suggest you do like Don said, you use the universes, but none of the existing characters. You can use the universe of magick but you don't use Chzo or the New Prince. You can use the galaxy of fantabulous wonderment, its species, its places but not Rob Blanc, Yahtzee or the crew of the Elaborated Gesture. This way, your game is less likely to invalidated by later games, and will actually help building and adding bricks to the current universes.

And remember the golden rule of not posting anything until you've completed 80% of your project because we don't need shovelful of "I WAN MAEK A FANGAEM! ALL I NED IS BACKGROUN SPRITE MUSIC PRGRAMMIN AND SCRPITER! PLEEEZE!!!1111" threads that will clutter the place and be cancelled in the following month.

#12 User is offline   fornax Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Blueskirt @ Feb 4 2007, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And remember the golden rule of not posting anything until you've completed 80% of your project

Uh, the game is complete. It's just meant to be a short vignette to illustrate the possibilites of fan game-design. Anyways, i've got other [original] experiments to work on. Won't be making another XDAS-universe game for some time, if ever. That's a job for other, more skilled, game creators.

#13 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

I enjoyed it, for all its sillyness. Could have used a bit more puzzles though.

I agree with whats already been said above though, fan fiction has to be more in the style of a spin off than a sequel, and i think you pulled that off. The cartakers a good character to use, as long as you don't take away his mystery.

#14 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

For the record, I've got nothing against fangames for the same reason I've got nothing against fanart, it's flattering. Just as long as, as people have said, you don't mess around with established canon.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#15 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

I've been working on an idea for an adventure game that is inspired by the XDAS games. It is in no way related to Yahtzee's series -- if anything it's a spiritual successor, much like Bioshock and System Shock 2.

But I just started learning how to use AGS the other day. Just for fun, I guess I'll show what I've been messing around with:

Office

This is a background that is not very well-proportioned, Yahtzee style. Sorry, .bmp's can't be directly linked to.

Standing Still

This is a Yahtzee-style character. I'd just like to say that I didn't steal any of Yahtzee's sprites, these were created from scratch.

If somebody wants to help, especially with using AGS, you can email me at joshofalltrades@rock.com.

But, as I said... these won't be in any way related to Yahtzee's series.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 04 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size