Chefelf.com Night Life: Who wants to see what the Tall Man looks like - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Who wants to see what the Tall Man looks like without his mask I mean

#61 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

Ah, so it was just a mask? It was so much cooler when I thought he had no face, jsut like a big porcelain sphere or something for a head. And it took me till the end of 6 days before I realised that was a weapon, not an umbrella...you could stab someone to death with an umbrella, if you had a pointy end...

Oh...why does that guy wear a welding mask if he died long before welding masks were invented?

#62 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ May 11 2007, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh...why does that guy wear a welding mask if he died long before welding masks were invented?

Electric arc welding has been around since 1800 AD.

The more you know.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 11 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#63 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:44 AM

Good point...did they have the same kind of mask, though?

#64 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

Well it's been a while since I played 5DAS, but if I remember correctly Matthew and Roderick DeFoe met their demise in the late 1800s. I'm just way too lazy to look it up and be sure.

I'm sure a welding mask similar to John DeFoe's had been developed by the time the events in question transpired. If not, it's a fictional game and Yahtzee has been known to browbeat his forumites for agonizing over details.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 12 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

#65 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

Although that still leaves me to wonder where John DeFoe got the mask from. In the flashback you only encounter the machete on the wall and the leather apron on the table, no sign of a welding mask anywhere in reach.

#66 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ May 12 2007, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the flashback you only encounter the machete on the wall and the leather apron on the table, no sign of a welding mask anywhere in reach.

If you look at the wall on the left, you can clearly see the welding mask.

#67 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:45 AM

Ah. Thanks. Y'see, my peripheral vision is definitely not up to standards.

#68 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

Now, we wonder why there was a welding mask in the kitchen. And who buried him upstairs. And how the car popped in on the second day. And why the police didn't look in.

Ok, I'm nitpicking, but a few "WTF?" moments can spoil a game...luckily, Yahtzee has "it's a magic thingy" to fall back on.

That and his good looks...who could argue with that face?

#69 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ May 13 2007, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, we wonder why there was a welding mask in the kitchen. And who buried him upstairs. And how the car popped in on the second day. And why the police didn't look in.

Ok, I'm nitpicking, but a few "WTF?" moments can spoil a game...luckily, Yahtzee has "it's a magic thingy" to fall back on

*sigh*...

If you go back to the DeFoe flashback in Notes, then look at the mask, this is what pops up:

"A smoked mask, the sort of thing used by metalworkers, hung from the west wall. The gardener liked to keep it there as some kind of souvenir from his younger days."

Without spoiling too much of the value of the Special Edition of 5DAS, the car popped into the backyard because the wraith of John DeFoe was intent on keeping everybody locked in the house. How did the doors and windows get stuck? It's the same sort of thing -- because if the police saw a car out front, they'd probably check the house.

As for who buried him upstairs, who the hell cares? It does in fact say in the game that he managed to make it to the upstairs bathroom before collapsing from his wounds. So let's just presume a lazy contractor went into the bathroom to refurbish it and saw a pile of old bones on the floor. So instead of bothering with the police, he dug up the floor, used his shovel to scoop the bones in there, and then tiled over it. He was very confident that nobody would ever look in an UPSTAIRS bathroom for a dead body, so it is actually now more logical that he was buried there than downstairs.

Or you could tell yourself that if all the bodies were buried together, it wouldn't have been a puzzle.

#70 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

Yes, it wouldn't have been a puzzle...but couldn't he have thought of a decent explanation?

#71 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ May 15 2007, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it wouldn't have been a puzzle...but couldn't he have thought of a decent explanation?

Maybe he expected us to have brains and figure it out without him holding our hand the whole way through the story.

Or maybe he expected you to put up the money for the special editions so you could get the full explanation from the author.

Besides, there's already plenty (read: too much) exposition in 5DAS. If I wasn't such a patient person, I wouldn't have stuck around 5DAS long enough to get past the "ask everybody the same questions" conversation at the beginning in the living room. This isn't to say it wasn't a good game, it's just that there's a lot of talking.

Yahtzee, if you're reading this, I don't need you to explain every little detail. I have a fully-functioning cranium and you don't need to cater to people who want every nook and cranny of every story given to them in bite-sized chunks. Please continue as you are.

#72 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

Ok, yeah, the sitting round talking was a bit much, but it would've been nice if there was a reason given...or he was buried in a more senbile place...couldn't he have fallen down a well in the garden and not been found, and the well was covered over or something?

#73 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ May 16 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, yeah, the sitting round talking was a bit much, but it would've been nice if there was a reason given...or he was buried in a more senbile place...couldn't he have fallen down a well in the garden and not been found, and the well was covered over or something?

Yes, but really, sensible is too common these days...

This post has been edited by Dan_N_GameZ: 16 May 2007 - 04:25 AM

"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#74 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

Like David-kyo said in another thread, debating about it is pointless. The game is out, it's canon and there are many other adventure games which garnered more critical acclaim than 5DAS and had even wonkier plot elements.

Long story short, you're reading too much into this one tiny detail. If you must over-analyze it, get the Special Editions and you'll get the hot poop on that particular puzzle.

And for the confused, "hot poop" is synonymous with "info". I have just been looking for a reason to use it for a while now.

#75 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

Yes, it is a bit pointless...but then again, it's pointless to say that that Pearl Harbour movei was rubbish after it was made, but that didn't stop anyine.

Not that I'm comparing Yahtzee with anyone responsible for Pearl Harbour...unless he lieks to drag up, then he might look like Kate Beckinsale...

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size