Chefelf.com Night Life: Order of 5DaS series? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Order of 5DaS series? Which order should the games be played in...

#1 User is offline   BoboDaHobo Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

So, which order do you think the series should be played? Personally, I played them in the order that they were released, and I think that's the best order, but has anyone been introduced to the series late and played them in chronological order?

#2 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:33 AM

It shouldn't be played in chronological order, 6DAS would definitely have to be the very last one in the series. Perhaps you could play TN after 5DAS, and then 7DAS, but even that could spoil the surprise in 7DAS in some ways. Maybe the order of release is for the best.

#3 User is offline   MikeS619 Icon

• New Cop

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

If you wanted to play it realistically speaking, without the whole "It'll spoil secrets", I'd gladly play the series in chronological order.

#4 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Frankly, IMHO, plaing 6DAS before 7DAS ('cos that would be the chronological order) would just ruin it, because 6DAS contains elements found in 7DAS, just as Notes contains subtle elements found in 7DAS.

Trust Yahtzee, he knows why he released the games in the non-chronological order.
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu Cat Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Death Metal, adventure games, Lots of stuff.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

No, trust The Mighty Ghmoz and nothing else.
But I think they shoud be played in the order of releasing too.
Er... I wasn't the first one who killed Davy Jones.

#6 User is offline   Millitant Pacifist Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jan 26 2007, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It shouldn't be played in chronological order, 6DAS would definitely have to be the very last one in the series. Perhaps you could play TN after 5DAS, and then 7DAS, but even that could spoil the surprise in 7DAS in some ways. Maybe the order of release is for the best.

I played them in that order. That's what happens when you look games up on Wikipedia, and use the chronological order posted there because you don't know any better.

I wish I hadn't. The hallucination in TN where you see the hangar and the coffin? Confused the hell out of me. I came up with an impromptu theory involving a hidden scientific research base inside the hotel, like Area 51 with welshmen (stranger than aliens). Then I went through the same door again, and found myself in a bar. I played 7DAS wondering when the tall man would appear. I only got the line in Notes about sending the idol somewhere safe when I saw the hat on the metal box.

The game were still creepy, and still brilliant, but playing them in the order of release made so much more sense.

And playing 6DAS as the third game wouldn't work. Despite leaving loose ends, 6DAS is definitely the last of a series. My brother, who I haven't managed to persuade to play the Days series yet, watched me play 6DAS, and didn't understand any of the plot. It's like trying to watch a movie with someone who has Alzheimer's- every 5 seconds you have to explain things.
Use [rifle] on [clocktower].

#7 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (Dan_N_GameZ @ Jan 26 2007, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trust Yahtzee, he knows why he released the games in the non-chronological order.

Yes, because he was making it up as he went along.

#8 User is offline   sputnik Icon

• New Cop

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

I also think that the games should be in their original order.
You'll have more surprises and shocks and it just seems to fit that way.
If you play it chronologically, it takes a lot of tension out of it.
Admittedly, it also takes out the confusion, but I think the confusion is good.
Trying to figure everything out and getting your own perspective really feels good once you have everything sorted out and in itself, it is a part of playing the series.

#9 User is offline   CrazyImage Icon

• New Cop

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

play 5-7-TN-6 or else you will get major spoilers in the games.

#10 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

I've been thinking about this, recently, and I've had a thought. Yes, you need to play 5DAS first, and you need to play 6DAS last, but does it matter which order you play 7DAS and Notes? Does Notes give away anything that happens in 7DAS? Is Notes diminished by not having played 7DAS first? I'm not quite so sure.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#11 User is offline   Don Andy Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Chyld @ Feb 5 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been thinking about this, recently, and I've had a thought. Yes, you need to play 5DAS first, and you need to play 6DAS last, but does it matter which order you play 7DAS and Notes? Does Notes give away anything that happens in 7DAS? Is Notes diminished by not having played 7DAS first? I'm not quite so sure.

Well, I think playing TN before 7DAS even adds a bit to the mystery of TN, as you have no clue what the 7DAS illusion in TN actually means. But beside that there isn't any 7DAS stuff in TN anyway.

#12 User is offline   Millitant Pacifist Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (CrazyImage @ Feb 3 2007, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
play 5-7-TN-6 or else you will get major spoilers in the games.

There's a hallucination in Notes where you see the hangar of the Mestophiles, and a line at the end where Trilby's wondering where to put the idol so that it would be safe. Neither would make sense without playing 7DAS, but they're minor enough that you could play them chronologically (as I did) with only slight confusion.
Use [rifle] on [clocktower].

#13 User is offline   Maelin Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:25 PM

Plus, TN has a deep storyline that unites the games. The game sequence in release order has a gradually developing overarching plot that really gets started in TN. If you played TN first, then 7 Days, you'd be sitting there thinking, "what? what about Chzo and the Tall Man and all that stuff?"

#14 User is offline   fullymyrphomatic Icon

• New Cop

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

If you think about it, 5DAS, TN, 7DAS then 6DAS is actually the chronological order, as is mentioned in 6DAS, because its the ripples through time from 7DAS that allowed 6DAS to happen, so 7DAS had to happen before 6DAS!!

if that makes any sense and if my head is screwed on straight, which it probably isn't!!

#15 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

It doesn't make any sense, 6DAS takes place in the 22nd century (except for the 5th day with Somerset), while 7DAS takes place in the 24th.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size