Chefelf.com Night Life: Best XDAS game - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Best XDAS game

Poll: Best XDAS game?

Which XDAS game did you think is best (and why)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   varyssa Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

I entirely go with Gobbler there. 5 Days and 7 Days were straight games, after you played 5 Days and started with 7 Days, you were like "Yay, it's the welder man again, and it's f*ckin' in space this time! WOOHOO!". 7 Days was actually the only game I played for about 6 times now and was still scared to death in those chasing scenes, and the music just fitted sooo perfectly! I was really excited when TN was released, but found myself like "Huh? Which prince? What's a soul object? What in hell is that about??" most of the time (I'm female and blonde, that's my excuse). Although the mood was great, but of what use is that when you don't get the story? (and now let's be honest, who in hell found out that you had to - for about 1 million times - kick and punch to DIE at the end, if the walkthrough hadn't told you?) After playing 6 Days then, I was confused to the max and understood NOTHING (I didn't even know who Cabadath was, missed that part in TN somehow), that's actually why I ended up here. Guess I'm just too dumb for complex correlations and that's why I like 7 Days best.

#32 User is offline   arien Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (varyssa @ Feb 21 2007, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(and now let's be honest, who in hell found out that you had to - for about 1 million times - kick and punch to DIE at the end, if the walkthrough hadn't told you?)

I actually did that by accident, and I used 'kill lenkmann' instead of 'kick' or 'punch'. ('get' anything also works fine.) I was just putting in random verbs to see if anything happened. I seriously thought I had to kill that dude, so I tried stabbing him with the lockpicks, getting the idol, (I thought that John DeFoe would posess Trilby and kill Lenkmann,) grabbing him, etc. When I played the ending for a second time, I could not figure out why I wasn't dying.

Then again, I played most of the game like that. I thought you had to throw the rotten meat at the Tall Man that time he was trying to kill Trilby, and was furious that it didn't work. (I got through that bit when my sister came in and said, "Why don't you try killing him?" Guh. Stupid me.)

#33 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (arien @ Feb 21 2007, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(I thought that John DeFoe would posess Trilby and kill Lenkmann,)

I thought that too, and it would have been so awesome, but when I figured out i was supposed to die i was like 'yeeeeeaaaaahhh' when Lenkmann went, 'what? He's dead?'

#34 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

You know, it would have been perfect if Mr. Lenkmann had said something like "NOT IN THE FACE!" after that. happy.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#35 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

'AAAAAAAGGGGHHHH'.....

'Why have you just stabbed me in the eye?'

'......'

'AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH'....

#36 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:25 AM

This somehow calls for some kind of "What Lenkmann should have said"-thread, eh?

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#37 User is offline   MAX Acca Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

"Put down that Ramones album!"

#38 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:18 PM

I voted for Notes.

Anyway, to please the review-readers-who-don't-have-anything-else-to-do:

My opinion is that a terror game needs six things:

- A lot of nasty deaths (more than five) - D;
- An intersting villain and/or killing force - V;
- A complicated story, for the smart people - S;
- Intersting main character - C;
- Good chance of dying by many creative ways - F;
- Good ending or the guarantee that there will be a sequel - E

So, we have:

5DAS - V, S, C, E
7DAS - D, V, C, F
TN - D, V, S, C, E
6DAS - D, S

#39 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:41 AM

I would add 3 things to your list:
A bit of mystery (you shouldn't know what's going on until it's nearly too late)

Weird sightings or weird stuffs happening as you progress in the story, to gradually build up the mood and occasionally scare the players back under their security blankets until the grand finale,

And the grand finale must be scary (Unlike 5DAS's finale where everyone whole heartly agree to not touch the idol anymore and the danger is removed)

Or maybe I'm just adding those because Enclosure, which is the best scary adventure game in my book, doesn't score that much with your system. wink.gif

#40 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:21 AM

I'd also suggest changing that S part from "A complicated story" to "An intelligent story".

5DaS wasn't that complicated, but exceptionally well written, whereas TN or 6DaS left you a bit puzzled at times, which doesn't necessarily contribute to the horror effect.

Also, by your logic, a bad ending can still score points if it promises a sequel. Rrrrriight... now I don't know about you, but I'd probably lose interest if the umpteenth installment of a horror flick with an exceptionally bad written story and ending announces yet another sequel...

#41 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:41 AM

I would like to use this opportunity to express how much Enclosure's ending pissed me off, now that you mentioned it. I won't spoil it for anyone who might not have finished it, but it's outrageously crap.

#42 User is offline   Sinclair Icon

• New Cop

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Feb 23 2007, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5DaS wasn't that complicated, but exceptionally well written, whereas TN or 6DaS left you a bit puzzled at times, which doesn't necessarily contribute to the horror effect.

I mostly agree with this, although I found TN to be the scariest. It was probably an aesthetic thing: It was scariest at the beginning, before you really realise what's going on. At least that was my experience. Or it could just have been that the disorientation of the worlds switching faded?

I'm reminded of reading HP Lovecraft's stories: I've always found I prefer the stories that give less background information about the shapeless horror that is Czhashashththtla or whatever. But of course Lovecraft was rather prone to overdescription and purple prose (or at least I think so).

#43 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Feb 23 2007, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd also suggest changing that S part from "A complicated story" to "An intelligent story".

Also, by your logic, a bad ending can still score points if it promises a sequel. Rrrrriight... now I don't know about you, but I'd probably lose interest if the umpteenth installment of a horror flick with an exceptionally bad written story and ending announces yet another sequel...

Yes, it is. You can't just say it's a bad ending, unless you know the whole story. Technically, it's not even an ending if there will be a sequel. And yes, I don't care if everything is messed up at the end of a particular chapter, since the sequel fix it all.

Please notice: I'm talking about bad endings of chapters, not bad chapters.

#44 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE (Nostaw @ Feb 24 2007, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't just say it's a bad ending, unless you know the whole story.

Oh, but I can. A bad ending is a bad ending, and if I can see that much, then the whole story that might possibly become a good one after the third installment can go to hell.

My point still stands and I still don't want to see the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

#45 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Feb 24 2007, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point still stands and I still don't want to see the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

I do not consider it a good movie with a bad ending, but a bad movie that promises a sequel.

Anyway, to avoid this thread to be full of posts about that movie, I'll just say I respect your opinion and it would be better if the bad endings just didn't exist.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size